don't click here

Sonic and the Rings of Order (RPG)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ranger, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Just a suggestion, but if you're willing to step *slightly* away from Earthbound's mechanics a bit, a side-view battle system would let you use all of the different GBA sprites for attack animations. I'm pretty sure that between the multiple Sonic Advance and Sonic Battle sprites, you should have enough to fill out an enemy roster and a decent number of character attacks.

2. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Those would also work as a great base if you want to make the battle art style the same as the overworld / similar.

Side view like in a FF / CTrigger (sometimes) way might actually be good. Fits the fact Sonic is a sidescroller/platformer and will just look nice. Sucks how the battle system is apparently limited.

Is this in RPG or Game Maker? because iirc Undertale used one of those, and it has pretty much the MOST unique battle system (with a timing part for when you want to attack too). Im not asking you to go to those lengths of course, but the impossible CAN be done, and may be easier than expected?

I don't know I don't touch the stuff; if it were me itd be made in unity :')

3. Falk

Falk

I'm assuming RPGMaker from RGSS mention.

4. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    He may be keeping to the battle style of Mother 3, I'm not complaining since it is a great game which desperately needs more attention and the art style was unique and extremely enjoyable to play. Heck, Ranger may even be doing this game to give some tribute to Mother 3 and I think that is pretty awesome.

Basically, this game from what I have seen, has the same sort of map layout as Mother 3, thought I'm unsure if diagonal movement has been implemented but it made the game feel like a very wide open place to explore.

The characters that eventually join your party also follow you around as you move and I wouldn't be surprised if Ranger included special abilities for each character to help progress around the map since on Mother 3 they had abilities like Thief in order to scale mountains at the beginning.

I'm also taking a big guess, but the world of Suibom seems to have a large, fat Sonic as the enemy and that idea is either taken from Sonic Underground, a mirror opposite of Robotnik or yet again a tribute to Mother 3, since the main villain, Porky, was a complete fatty and total asshole.

I'm looking forward to this game due to two reasons; It's so alike to Mother 3, one of my favorite games and also because its a rare RPG of Sonic.

5. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    It's RPG maker XP, I'm mostly using it because I've had a lot of prctice with it over the years and a good chunk of the mapping/dialogue has already been done in it. Some amazing stuff CAN be done with it (Lisa: The Painful was an rpg maker game, how they turned it into a platformer I will never know) I just need to figure out what and how I want exactly!
    And yeah, that's my current problem right now; nothing I do will be as good as Undertale turned out :v

Yeah, this whole project is basically just a love letter to my two favourite game series (bubsy and the cd-I zelda games)

That's something I have plans of! The four main party members have their own overworld abilities to help progress the game along (justified roadblocks hooray) and the eight or so optional party members have their own tricks for sccessing ~Secrets~

Also, Sonic 2 XL
    (Fun fact: I never knew that episode of Underground existed until someone told me after the fact)

6. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    Thats wonderful to hear, I'm just happy someone is so dedicated to something they enjoy doing, can't wait for a demo or something from this now. :)

7. ELS

ELS

I like that your party actually follows you and doesn't live in some sort of pocket dimension.

Can't wait to really sit and play this, it looks fantastic.

8. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    I'm curious to see if there ha sbeen any progress as of late on this? It's a well made project I've seen so far.

9. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Well, it seems there hasn't been any real updates for a while now in this thread, kinda sad considering I really liked how the project was looking, but maybe he has put out updates in some other site? Like, there must be an explanation somewhere as to why he hasn't been updating, like even if he cancelled the project he would've said something so there's no way he'd just leave it like this...

Then again, the few posts from the last page indicated that he made a lot of progress but silently, so there is the possibility he is doing the same thing (working silently).

10. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Yeah, it's mostly been a case of "work is getting done but nothing that can really be shown". A lot of plot detailing and enemy/location concepting, but nothing super tangible gamewise. Although, I'll show off a handful of randomly chosen enemy/boss designs I've been doodling out the past couple months (basically the ones I like best), just for content's sake.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to get more visual stuff done to show off soon, though!

11. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Aero the Acrobat? Damn dude, this game is looking AWESOME! I hope we can play it soon

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is coldsteel really a boss?

I just might have to play this now so I can kick his ass lol

13. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Oh dear goodness that art looks amazing! And the designs are very creative (Coldsteel boss YES) too! I did feel like you were working really hard but behind the scenes, and honestly there's nothing wrong with that if that's just how you wanna work.

14. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    This is actually looking amazing Ranger, if you would ever like any help with bug testing, just in case - going around the maps and game itself, checking to see if collision and text has no issues while you are busy working on the game, I'd love to help if you are interested. :)

15. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    I started work on a new area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    forgive my super-quick gyazo screenshots, but I'm feeling particularly lazy today

16. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    Knuckles Chaotix's marine level is probably the only water level on the games I actually ever enjoyed playing through. xD

17. WayPastFlame

WayPastFlame

Project Retcon
    Ranger, what type of music are you planning on using for this RPG, will it be original music (Earthbound-esque) or music from different games (Like Sonic and Mother)?

18. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    If he had someone to compose the music for his game, an idea I thought was to create the sonic music but in an Eartbound sounding way, if that makes any sense to anyone, I would love to post more on this topic and share my thoughts and ideas but it seems I am forever to be doomed a Trial Member with a 10 limit post which is a shame beause I enjoy being around the Sonic Retro community. :/

19. SuccinctAndPunchy

SuccinctAndPunchy

Always mad on the internet. Member
    Perpetually trying to find more games to speedrun.
    Holy moly those are really nice looking. You capture the style of Mother 3 really well!

20. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    I'm mostly using covers/mashups of existing songs, there'll be SOME original stuff but I'm not the most creative guy when it comes to music
    Here's a sample

Also it's not just gonna be restricted to SOnic/Mother songs either, because there's a lot of other songs I want to add