don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 - Getting all the rings

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Taylor, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Taylor

Taylor

Thanks to how cluttered the modern internet is, it's difficult to find a clear, complete answer on this subject.

If you collect every ring in a stage, you get an A rank, regardless of how poorly you do, even if you get hit and lose them. I always thought this was interesting, and wanted to do this as a challenge run: A-rank all the stages by nabbing all the rings.

But in some stages, this is literally impossible because some rings spawn in a death barrier, or are otherwise uncollectible. What stages, exactly, suffer from this problem? Are there any mods for the Steam version that fix this? Or would I have to use a cheat engine to try to keep within the spirit of this challenge?

2. Kyro

Kyro

Off the top of my head, the big stages that are impossible were metal harbor and white jungle, I dont remember the other stages that were impossible to get every ring.

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    White Jungle comes to mind with hundreds of out of reach rings.

There are no mods or anything to fix it though IIRC

4. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    It is possible to get every ring in metal harbour, there's a hidden ring on the top of the pully bit.

5. Has anyone looked at the code to see how this is scored? If rings are impossible to get then you should only be ranked on the rings that are possible. Just as there is considered to be a perfect pacman game where players eat only the ghosts that are possible on each level.

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I haven't looked at the code, but some things to note is that it doesn't just count the ring objects, it includes the rings you can get from checkpoints, this can be manipulated I believe to get more rings than you should.
    That would suggest a fixed value for each level, although the early green forest object layout under white jungle is counted. Seems silly that they would count if they used some constant ring total per level.

I'll perhaps have a look at somepoint when I'm at my PC (kinda hard to do it on an iPhone 4S).

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’m interested in this, it’s the only way I’m gonna get an A Rank on some of these levels on the GameCube version.