don't click here

Sonic 1 Alt

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ell678, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    (Oh, I took lots for reply. Sorry!)
    Well... I think is better to keep the game with this. The spikebug makes the game harder, also I fall in love for harder games.

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    *Update*

Nothing hugely interesting to show at the moment, but, Labyrinth Zone is nearly finished, except object placement on Act3. I am aiming to enter this hack in the hacking contest, so let's say that that is the deadline I have set.

Now, I would like your opinions regarding something. While editing Act3, I kept the water level at a constant height throughout (it doesn't rise or fall, this is the same in the other two acts) due to the ideas of the layout I had in my mind before beginning work. However, now, of course, the water doesn't rise during the boss (Due to me being ignorant/stupid, thinking that would be handled by the boss data) But then I thought, why not just have that little climb section a lot harder (but still fair) to compensate for the water not rising? I completed this idea, and it works well (because you need precision and skill to make it to the top without getting hit) but I am just wondering about other people's view on this idea. Good? Or too different from the original?

Anywho, this is the level map from LZ3 The red line is the height of the water. I wouldn't normally show this, as it takes the surprise of the exploration away, and some areas don't make sense because the objects aren't visible, but this post is meant to be an update after all!

EDIT: Doh...the water level is slightly below the red line. I'm a tool.

EDIT 2: Removed the level map. You had enough time to look at it :P

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    I simply love level layout hacks, makes the game a lot more harder and challenging.
    I looked at your boss arena and it looks so complex, you have to climb up then go down and then climb up again. Judging by the fact that there are no objects, it is going to have harpoons and devil heads shooting you.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    The boss area is just the final climb. If I had the coding knowledge, I would have Robotnik appear at the top of the first climb, so he would go down the drop, then up the final climb, where the capsule would be. It would be great to do, because I could have the slog getting progressively harder.

5. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    You will need to change in obj77 the object positions ($30(a0) is X, $38(a0) is Y) and the velocities eggman sets when getting to some points ($10(a0) is X velocity and $12(a0) is the Y velocity) just compare the position number to eggman's and when on the correct position set the desired velocity. Not much programming skills are needed.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Wow, thanks Hanoch! I'l look into it.

Anyone have opinions about the water not rising?

7. VivaLaVida

VivaLaVida

This Guy.... Member
    Editing layouts in SonED2
    Man, I'm really liking these layouts. They're actually causing me to be less hasteful in my gameplay. Good work :thumbsup: .

8. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Glad you like them :)

Scratch needing opinions about the water in the boss. I feel the new difficulty is perfect during the sequence, and adding water would break it.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So everyone, I'v decided to release Sonic 1 Alt. I certainly had fun making this hack, and I hope many people enjoy playing it. I am releasing this in time with the hacking contest, and this is the same version I entered.

To recap...

Sonic 1 Alt is a layout hack of Sonic 1, intended to keep as much of Sonic 1 intact while having new layouts was my primary aim. That also means some people will not like this at all - everything except the layouts is the same as in Sonic 1. Despite this, I still hope some will give it a try, and post what you think about it! The godawful palettes from the first version are gone too, you will be glad to hear ;)

As far as I am aware, there are no bugs. I have tested this myself of course rigorously, as have other people, and I am near certain I vanquished all the bugs.

My thanks go out to Mercury, who has been such a good help to me it's unreal :thumbsup:

And now, for the download link! It is also on the wiki, if that is ok. If not, please let me know!

10. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I've only played through Green Hill so far (with both available emeralds in tow), but both the acts and special stages were very well designed. I don't know if you realized you did this in the acts, but with a lot of your platforming areas, you could see the tip of a totem pole or tree below, showing where it was safe to jump down. The only thing I'd suggest is looking at ring placement in the original games and trying to mimic that -- the lines of rings showing where to jump to were fine, but oftentimes rings seem erratically placed.

Wish I had more to say, but the only thing to comment on is layouts.~

11. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I just went through the whole game. I stumbled on a few places, but nothing I couldn't overcome. I didn't get stuck anywhere either, that's always good! However, I saw several objects misplaced by 1 or 2 pixels -- nothing game-breaking, but it looks like a quick job. If you're using SonED2, you can use the M key to increase (and J to decrease) the "snap to grid" value, so that when you move them, their position is always a multiple or 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. 8 is good for most objects, sometimes 4 is better, but very rarely do you need 1 or 2.

12. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Playing through the first three zones was fun again, and I wasn't disappointed by the last three in this release. I've only played through each level once really, so I haven't truly explored the different routes in each stage, but what I did see was some very solid use of objects to make the levels challenging and unique without being unfair or cheap. Every time I died it was either me unskillfully missing a jump or mistiming my movements (darn you Scrap Brain!!!) or through silly bugs involving spikes that you probably wouldn't have seen coming even if you were looking for it (darn you spike bug!)

The only two parts of the game I would truly find frustrating are the ending to act 1 of Scrap Brain (you know what I'm talking about) and the last half or so of Scrap Brain 3 (which is a shame. I know it's the last level and it's supposed to be hard and all that but it just narrowly started to creep into frustrating and unfair territory as the endgame approached).

Still, all in all, the level design is excellent and I'd definitely vote for this hack to get that trophy, which is saying quite a bit after the impressive effort Thorn and company put out in S2RR.

13. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I thought I got the vast majority of the mis-aligned objects - or I simply missed the ones that were off by 1 or 2 pixels :( I actually didn't know about extending the snap to grid feature for objects, so I'v learned something else.

Thanks for your opinions so far, people! It'l greatly help on whatever project I do next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.