don't click here

Someone claims to have/selling Sonic Spinball design documents

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MrMechanic, Jun 26, 2021.

1. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Spotted Via SSMB.

Simone claims to have bought a storage locker previously belonging to a dev of the game.

One item in the locker was a binder containing a bunch of design/art sheets.

There's some artwork that I can't say I've seen before so it certainly looks like it could be the real deal.

He's left an email for people to get in touch. Definately sounds like he wants to sell. Just unsure how legitimate this is.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/topi...c-game-for-sale/?tab=comments#comment-1326854

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    £25K? Does anyone care about Spinball that much?

3. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Owf...

Are they printed on gold?

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I feel like this is another "Hey look at me! You will never have this!" shitpost that happens with these from time to time.

5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Maybe for $50, but it's not worth anywhere close to what he's trying to get at the moment. If he really wants something for it, he'll negotiate.

6. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    Whoa, $25k? I'd say $2k at best. I can't say I blame the guy for thinking he's found a come-up, but this is goddamn Spinball we're talking about. It was a fun enough game for what it was I suppose, but at the end of day it was essentially a crude last minute "emergency title" meant to t̶i̶d̶e̶ f̶a̶n̶s̶ o̶v̶e̶r̶ u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ S̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ 3̶ w̶a̶s̶ r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ fill Sonic 3's inevitable absence from the '93 Christmas season with some type of Sonic release and goddammit it shows.

That being said, the artwork looks pretty neat and interesting, and if it's legit I've got several questions about what in the world they had in mind, more specifically in regards to that fenced backyard scene with the doghouse and trashcans...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  7. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I think the max I'd go for would be 250 for the whole binder unless there was something utterly mind blowing in there.

Though I am curious as to if he's asked at other fansites for other games due to the lack of Spinball content he posted.

8. Looks more like a concept art sketch book than a design document. Are we sure the other pictures aren't from other canned STI projects? They were known to have a lot of projects that died before development really picked up.

I feel like Chris Senn described a game resembling some of those shots that involved entering nightmares.

9. MastaSys

MastaSys

I mean I'll bet that if real, those documents don't have that much information or consistence. Robotnik had like 3-4 different designs in-game for example (Japanese inspired, Early Sonic The Comic, AoSTH...) something that wasn't seen in other western developed games (like 3D Blast). I bet the whole thing was rushed.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    The text on the bottom of those sheets reads "Toxic Pools Round", isn't that the 8-bit version of the games' name?

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's really just trolling Sonic Retro at this point. In some cases, perhaps me specifically, because there isn't exactly a flurry of people stepping up to cover STI's other projects.

Be a good citizen - scan the documents, put them online for the three people who care, then you can pretend it's some sort of sacred collectors item to pay off your student loan. Nothing in gaming is worth $25,000 USD.

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It's from this doc we have:
    [​IMG]
    Apparently at some point the game was intended to have five levels, but the first two got merged into Toxic Caves.

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Correct. As I recall, Brenda Ross worked on Underground Caves. That stage ended up being scrapped. So Toxic Pools (which of course was renamed later), which Craig Stitt worked on, became the first stage. This was actually learned a few months ago when the additional notebook artwork was release online.