don't click here

RIP Sonic CulT

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    http://www.sonic-cult.org/

Someone who knows more wanna weigh in?

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

I don't know anything, but if it's truly over, I'll miss Sonic Cult. Of course it hasn't really been active for a very long time, so it really doesn't make that much sense for someone to be paying for its continued existence. But it'll still be missed.

3. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Sonic Cult was the first major online community I was part of and honestly seeing the familiar faces posting here is the main reason I ended up joining Retro. I've got so many fond memories from the boards (and #cult) way back in the early 2000s... The community moved on a while ago but it was nice at least knowing the site was still there. It's a damn shame if it's over.

Man, now I'm getting nostalgic for all those good times... Ecks Dee, SCARZ, The Snifit Army, Sonic Quoter, rapping to get unbanned, the time Sonic Quoter made a rap out of Sonic quotes to get unbanned, all that stuff.

4. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    The end of an era

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    SSRG wins.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh Sonic Cult. That might have been my first major sonic site (that or Stadium I don't remember).

An email I sent about getting those stupid Rom patches to work made it to the sites stupid email section a long time ago. He told me to chant and light some candles. Nice site :v:

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Damn son, that truly is the end of an era. Surprised they held out this long though. Retro, SSMB, and SSRG have really become the main Sonic hangouts these days

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm sure someone has a full backup. + - But is Retro willing to host it?  

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    #cult:

I'm hopeful he'll put out a dump of the forum SQL (sans passwords), if nothing else. The site content was largely mirrored.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is there much on the site worth preserving at this point that isn't already on the wiki (the section art was kinda nice though :v:)?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's a shame but, well... That era ended a while ago already.

Would be nice to keep a backup somewhere, of course.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I would assume the internet archive has most of it covered. The site side of things anyway - don't know how deep it was likely to crawl the forums.

We should have a good chunk of it mirrored on the Sonic Retro wiki either way.

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    CulT was one of the first places I was on.......never lasted that long though due to circumstances at that time but considering it stopped getting used much years later I didn't see any point in doing something about that.

It will be missed but as mentioned earlier most stuff is already on other sites including Retro.

Let us pay respects to the best no-hotlinking picture there was, once in a while people would get caught out by it here and elsewhere, hilarious. Sadly I can't find the picture so hopefully someone else will see this thread, upload it and post it.

At least someone still remembers that place. Still going strong for the most part, got some big plans for it soon though.

14. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Whoa. Even though the era really ended almost like 10 fucking years ago, or even more, maybe, it still feels like the end of an era.

I credit CulT with steering me to the development and analysis side of the community instead of the fucking fancharacter sprite comic bullshit side of the community. Considering that the Sonic community was a huge part in leading me to my actual choices of... well, I'll hold off on calling it a career yet, but the point is, the two things I kinda know how to do and want to do for the rest of my life are game dev and music composition and the Sonic community and thus CulT steered me in that direction big time.

And, honestly, maybe even moreso, since I probably would have made my way around to games and music stuff eventually even without CulT... it was the combination of CulT and Retro (and I wouldn't have came here without CulT) that led me to meet Jimmy, who will always be one of my dearest friends. He taught me that it was OK to laugh at myself and not take every goddamn thing so seriously. I feel fucking incredibly privileged that I got to spend around a year of my life with that hilarious motherfucker in person.

So, RIP CulT. It's not like I was ever SUPER active there, but it was a big time crossroads in my life. It'll be missed, and I do hope we get some semblance of a mirror at some point.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Are we not still hosting S2Beta? If we are I don't see the problem with mirroring CulT as well. It and S2Beta did launch this community after all.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Take your pick: https://web.archive.org/web/20170815000000*/www.sonic-cult.org

Although, yes, it'd be nice for this to be rehosted. The same way Area 51 and SoST were preserved.

The community was around way before Sonic Cult. Sonic Cult launched in, like, 2002. The Community was already 5 years old by then.

Also, I will see that picture of Link fucking Knuckles in my mind till the day I die.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Not for years and years. Sites need maintenance, or they end up riddled with malware like SoST was for years.

The site was incorporated into the Sonic Retro wiki as a separate thing, but recently I've been taking steps to merge the S2B content into the Sonic Retro wiki proper. There's been a whole bunch of semi-breaking changes to the remants, and nobody has touched it in ten years.

But the contents live on in other forms.

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    o_O

I first went to that site in 2002 and it was the first Sonic site I visited that was aimed at a much older audience. I haven't visited it in ages, but I'm surprised to hear it was shut down.

rip

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

You know, people always say Sonic Cult was aimed at older audiences, but like 99% of the audience was from SSRG and Area51, and I'd wager a good 75% of the audience was kids, still. I mean, we're talking about shit from 16 years ago. I'm 32, and generally one of the older members on this site. That means I was 16 when Sonic Cult was getting started.

Pachuka was an adult. But most of the people who visited Cult likely were not.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    It's weird really. Were it not for CulT we'd never have done any of the Barcade meetups probably. CulT:UK 2003, the first one, was nearly 15 years ago! We did 2 subsequent ones, and a 4th that was basically just me & Nik.

4 of us meeting up and being excited about playing Sonic Heroes, it was a different time. The PS2 version, at that.