don't click here

Project: Dreamcast Linux

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Revival, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Revival

Revival

The AppleTalk Network System Member
    Hello,

I'm sure some of you were interested in my old-computing-for-two-weeks project, which was finished a few days ago. I've been rather bored as of late, the weather's atrocious, TV is as shit-filled as usual, and I've had issues with my server/development PC which I'm gonig to deal with later.

Anyway, I decided to what what I usually do in this sort of situation: transfer some money into my PayPal account and look on eBay.

I transferred £32 (about 50 dollars for you yanks) and had a look. I decided to buy a Dreamcast keyboard and VGA adapter, which are on their way here.

Why these two items? The answer is as clear as day: I was wanting to try out Dreamcast Linux again.

I had grabbed a Live CD for the Dreamcast in 2001 but I didn't have a keyboard nor a VGA adapter for decent graphics, so I forgot about it. It just so happened today I was clearing out some old, unnecessary stuff (mainly cables) when I stumbled upon my Dreamcast. I knew I had to put it to use.

I believe Dreamcast support is in the Linux 2.6 mainline kernel, which will help. Gentoo has a prebuilt stage3 for SH4 at releases/sh/current-stage3/ which I hope to use to create a Live CD. Failing that, I'll simply compile a kernel and bung on a basic filesystem. I'm hoping to get a basic setup working with X11 and using TWM as a WM.

Log:
    Ordered everything, and downloading the Gentoo stage3 as of now.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Interesting project. There are people who actually do this with the PS3, it'll be interesting to see how a technical step backwards works out.

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

If you do succeed with this I'd be interested for kicks. It'd be nice if networking even worked.

4. Revival

Revival

Overlord: I'd imagine the PS3 would be a lot easier to do it on, since Sony actually encoruage homebrew/Linux on their console.
    Skaarg: I'm on the lookout for a DC broadband adapter, if I get it, it's an RTL8139 inside, should work no bother.

The keyboard has been dispatched today - hopefully I'll get it by Wednesday

5. Revival

Revival

Some news on the project: The Dreamcast keyboard arrived. I plugged in a quick Linux liveCD I made and hit a snag - the picture, it doesn't fit my TV. Hopefully the VGA adapter will solve that. I will also try and get a dreamcast mouse, so X is usable.

6. Revival

Revival

And the VGA adapter arrived. I've begun work on getting it compiled.