don't click here

[Official Thread] There's Something About Tails

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Project Dark Fox, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Project Dark Fox

Project Dark Fox

Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant Member
    Lexington, NC USA
    There's Something About Tails, a ZDoom mod
    Back by popular demand... and because some channels still didn't know I have it back up and running...
    well, this silly thing.
    Based on some stupid little sprite-now-drawn comic but taking a load of cues from Deus Ex, so you don't have to follow it to the letter at all. There's like a prison break-in at TSAT page 150 that you can completely not do at all or even do before heading back to town.

Oh yeah, the demo is now going to be extended to a whole chapter of maps. Six campaign maps, two special stages*, two Invasion** maps.

Major to-dos:
    [ - ] Reloading will be implemented according to a poll held on the Treadhead forums. The ammo in your clip will be displayed where your primary ammo taker was.
    [ - ] The marine sprites haven't been touched yet ever since I let Sodaholic go. I plan to rectify this soon.
    [ - ] Weapon sprites also all need a major overhaul. Some of them must be replaced due to copyright concerns (shotgun).
    [ - ] Speaking of sprites, Knothole is almost completely devoid of any NPCs.
    [ - ] Melee combo system; with weapons lowered, I plan to take cues from FEAR's melee combos. With a weapon up it will be a generic weapon bash.
    [ - ] Lots of map and script bugs to fix, and there's a whole bunch of plot stuff left to do for MAP06. Stuff that won't even be in the comic but provides loads of insight into the everarching lore of the series. :D

MAP01: UGR Base
    [​IMG]

MAP01 has you starting waking up from bed after they freshly grew you from the much more pathetic child body. Unfortunately, you find that you're... quite squishy. While working to escape the outpost, you will especially be constantly trying to find armor to protect yourself. Keeping mobile and/or behind cover also helps.

MAP02: Sewers
    [​IMG]

MAP02 reunites you with the last team, leaving you responsible with the princess. Fun. Beneath all this, however, you discover there's quite an operation going on here. It's no wonder why they found the UGR base...

MAP03: Canyon Pass
    [​IMG]

MAP03 is the main hub for the entire chapter; from here, you can reach the UGR, the prison to the east, and Knothole to the north (from two entrances, one is less obvious). The area's pretty locked tight, however, and bad guys are crawling everywhere. At the same time, there are a lot of secrets to find and explore out here. Your babysitting mission also ends here, leaving you to your own devices.

MAP04 screenshots for "Desert Prison" not available yet.

MAP05: Cavern Springs
    [​IMG]

This area is mostly used to pick up clean well water. Because Knothole village doesn't yet have running water, folks come down here frequently for fresh water; ring lake's water is quite stagnant and isn't the best for drinking. A few marines hang around here, but they're likely scouts.

MAP06: Knothole Village
    [​IMG]

Don't expect much combat in Knothole Village, but there's planned to be plenty to do in terms of finding out everyone's story. A slew of surprises are to be kept hidden here, as it seems like everyone has skeletons in their closets. You can also buy -- but not sell -- equipment from the shopkeep to the southwest, but he's kind of an ass.

Extra note: The gold number to the bottom right is there for debugging purposes. It's your faction standing with the Freedom Fighters. 1000 is neutral. Higher is good, lower is bad. It should affect the game's ending (and the demo will even have a couple endings), and it even impacts your prices. Because I decided to be the good guy, the Shopkeep's prices are down as a result.

Features:

Fucking SHOPS!
    [​IMG]

Fucking RPG elements!
    [​IMG]

So, yeah.

Constructive criticism is always accepted. Please don't be a dick about it, but if there's something wrong with the project, please say so and why. I can always go back to something to fix it.
    Also added map descriptions.

Release date is "When It's Done". A deadline will be posted when it is that close to being ready.

* Chaos Emerald collection is in. Super form is planned.
    ** Invasion maps are completely ACS coded, and so the gameplay will be just a little different -- especially since it emphasizes lives and scoring. They do not require Skulltag/Zandronum to run. (They won't run under those ports anyway)

2. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Hmm...this is actually pretty interesting. I have a question: Could this game work under a PSP port of Doom (such as PSPDoom or PSPLegacy or whatever they're called)?

3. Project Dark Fox

Project Dark Fox

Lexington, NC USA
    Unless there's a PSP port of ZDoom 2.6.0 or better, probably not.

4. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Looks good, glad to see the project is being continued, like the comic too, really interesting stuff!

5. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I was actually starting to wonder what had happened to this project cause it really caught my eye the first time around.

I can tell a lot of work has been put into this since, so I'm thrilled to see it's back. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :v:

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I read the comic many moons ago. I also like Doom, so I may try this out.

7. Project Dark Fox

Project Dark Fox

Lexington, NC USA
    [​IMG]

With a lot of deliberation, I decided to add "Spirit Orbs" into the game. These spirit orbs come in three sizes, which give 5, 10, and 20 skill points (as well as 2, 2, and 4 health points up to 80!). They will usually be stashed in secrets or hard to reach areas, furthering skill point bonuses.
    Unlike most other games where kills drop orbs, about the only difference is that these are placed on the map. Any kills you get, objectives you complete, or secrets you discover (or other strange things you could get rewarded for), the skill point rewards are automatically given to you. These orbs can be picked up and further deposited into your skill point account.
    Spirit orbs came about because I've got way too damn many Power Rings lying about and I needed an alternate reward for poking your nose around. This should harden up the demo considerably in the later stages.

This may seem like a small update, but I've been busy fixing loads of script bugs from MAP02. There was a ... lot of them. I also toned down the enemy strength considerably in MAP02. The level progression was a mess.

8. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    Am I the only one who's looking at this and having déjà vu? Wasn't this cancelled because it all fell apart and blah blah blah drama blah blah?

9. Project Dark Fox

Project Dark Fox

Lexington, NC USA
    There's no drama that can be had when there's only one person working on it now. The production will be slow again while real life is getting put back together (if ever), sure, but no one's going to sabotage my efforts this time. And if it does still happen, that means a certain asshole is leaking an old copy of the game once more.