don't click here

More Sega Channel prototypes dumped.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Kiddo Cabbusses, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rganders

rganders

Thanks for spreading the info. At last test, battery was flat. I imagine it is likely the thing has no shot without the missing components. And given the guy I got it from got it out of a recycling place, who knows what may not have been thought of as a component that got left behind.

For me, I'd also love to learn more on the history of this thing even if no useful code is recovered. I will likely get this sucker into a display and make it a quirky centerpiece of the sega channel collection of stuff (and there is more than I'd imagined).

2. rganders

rganders

Hey All!

Just wanted to say for anyone wanting to see a lot of cool promotional material along with the prototype of the unreleased Klondike game from the service...there is now a display up for the service at the National Videogame Museum outside of Dallas, TX.

NVM

Prototype Img

Display1

Display2

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Afternoon Retro,

EGM 71, June 1995 was recently scanned at Retromags:
    [​IMG]

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AEGM_US_071.pdf&page=29
    (that link should work later today - uploading as I type this)

"Ozone Kid" - any ideas?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A very quick Google throws up this: https://www.unseen64.net/2010/05/03/environmental-detective-snes-gen-md-cancelled/

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:MeanMachines_UK_22.pdf&page=19

[​IMG]

Looks like this appeared in some form at Summer CES 1992 as "Environmental Detective". Developers Magicom presumably sat on it for a couple of years, gave it a different name and spat it out on Sega Channel.

as for the others:

- Mega Man is known
    - I think there was talk about a special Super Street Fighter II somewhere
    - Body Count wasn't released in the US and its existence on Sega Channel is news to me.

6. Pengi

Pengi

Dr. Wily's Revenge is the name of the first Game Boy Mega Man game. Did EGM make a mistake, or was that a planned title for the Mega Drive release as well? In Japan it's known as Rockman Mega World, whilst the Game Boy game is Rockman World.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    EGM weren't very good at the whole "video game journalism" thing so you can probably assume it's a mistake.

8. Documentation on "Super Street Fighter II L.E." was in the Sega Channel haul from a while back, although not the ROM itself (Though based on the information it has it could theoretically be recreated).
    You can find it in the Instructions Test ROM.

EDIT: also put an image dump of the contents on my Twitter.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  10. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I have wanted to resurrect the Sega Channel service in some way to show off homebrew and hacks for like, a decade. If this is now "go hunt these parts down", then uh I'm on the case.

11. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    The Galaxy 7 satellite exhibited a failure in orbit around November 2000. :(

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    The confirmation of Sega sending out a disc to Sega Channel affiliates each month just further fuels my interest in seeing those discs show up some day. Surely someone held onto that stuff.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fun fact though, it is still up there: https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=22205#results

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  15. rganders

rganders

Recently a set of Sega Channel server boards were found to exist and I wasn't able to grab them. They handle all the multiplexing/setting conditional access of data and sent it out for broadcast. Did anyone here happen to grab them?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  16. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I might be wrong... but it's unlikely... which server boards are you speaking? Are they from Scientific Atlanta or General Instrument? ... Can you show us the link to the auction? We might want to preserve the photos...

17. rganders

rganders

They would be for Scientific Atlanta. They multiplexed the data, generated the data carousel, and added conditional access. Kicked the data out via RF to unlink to the cable company. On their end, they mostly functioned as a pass through. There wasn't much of anything actually done on the cable side.

18. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yep ... we have an idea of how it worked... we have some official documentation here on Sega Retro ... it would be cool to recreate the service again ...

Edit: I already saved the photos... Thank you very much mate for sharing them ... much appreciated... things like these don't show up too often on the internet... a big hug :) ...

19. rganders

rganders

As an aside, when I opt to not be lazy and get my stuff back from the museum (closed due to covid), I've got A LOT of promo stuff from them along with a little archive of item images of not otherwise seen things of other promo items

20. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Contributions are always welcomed... we don't compete with anyone... we preserve everything we can and all the content in our wikis is accessible to anyone who loves Sega... we are not "Nazis"... ... it's all for the sake of preservation... ;)