don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Right, you faggots really need to cut Chimpo some slack.

Now.

And I don't have any idea why you're hating on the sprite that's being used. When I saw it, I was, "Holy Fuck This Is Fucking Awesome". You know why? I never got that feeling from any other sprite for the Sonic series.

Ever.

Also,
    Yes it does. It just looks more modern; what's wrong with that?
    If you say so.
    It looks fine to me.
    Uhm, that's because of the way the quills are placed, he's still looking forward.
    I look at it now and it's the largest of the bunch. I fail to see your point.
    Unfortunatly, this is true, allough it's just you being a nitpick.

2. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Is there any good reason the Sonic sprite is still being discussed when it was decided on two weeks ago?

3. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I think the current sprite looks mighty fine, and the person who made it is a supremely talented dude.

However, to all those saying it doesn't look classic I sadly have to agree.

While I agree with Chimpo that making a spiritual sequel is much better than a simple rehash of 1-3k, I also believe that if you are to do the title "Sonic Retro" any justice you have to approach it from a place where Sonic Adventure/Advance and the games that followed it (with all their anime fanboy bullshit) do not and never will exist. As it is, Sonic (with his standing pose at least) looks like he's 3/4 of the way to becoming his SA self.

Look at the classic artwork, that is what you should be aiming for. Sonic 2's sprite for example has been translated beautifully into HD and looks every inch the classic Sonic we all know. I put it to you that if you gave the current sprite the same treatment he most certainly wouldn't.

As far as I can see, it's only the proportions of the standing sprite (which is the most important) that look wrong. Everything else (waiting/walking frames) looks fantastic!

4. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    That is just your opinion.

For me atleast that makes no sense. First we want the sprite to have that retro feel but now will look modern?

5. Matwek

Matwek

As far as I know the current sprite is being animated, so unless any of you fancy editing the entire sprite sheet the discusion is fairly redundant for the moment

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    More like a month ago :)

It doesn't matter, community project means the entire community has a say in everything, so I'll let them nitpick it however they see fit.

7. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    Except Chimpo. the project leader, decided that was the final sprite, so that everyone wouldn't spend the next month nitpicking it when there's plenty of other things to do.

8. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Doesn't stop people from not listening though.

9. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Which is why Chimpo isn't bothering with their suggestions in the first place!

10. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Which is also why I wuv him <3

Best project leader evar

11. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Just stopped there.
    May I ask you, what is the name of this forum?
    And that is why this project is called that. Next time, think. Also remember, Chimpo's decision is final.

Boy, I need sleep... ...zzz

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Fuck, I go to the hospital for a day and I come back with this shit.

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    It's like a Sitcom sometimes.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Don't care

Old walk animation is being worked, pointless.

I am not trying to make the new sprites look like the old ones. If that was my goal from day one I would have just reused Sonic 2's sprites.

That yours suffers from numerous problems that are nonexistent in the final?

Anymore god damn attempts to completely god damn revamp the final sprite or complaints with no actual substance and your post will be deleted.

I will have none of it. Absolutely NONE of it.

You fuckers are always going on about the "community" in the "community project" but I have yet to see anyone here to actually step up and provide a large dedicated development role other than nitpick every god damn tiny motherfucking detail I work on.

15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Actually I think the advance sprites kick the living crap out of the genny ones. Sonic 3's in particular being utter crap.

Just sayin'

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm not an artist, so feh.

[​IMG]

The old sprite is the one on the right; notice the area in the box. The way the different shadings meet define Sonic's head as having a very strange angle there indeed. I'm quite used to it appearing mostly round or at least smooth, which the revised one more or less does.

I'll try to keep these sorts of posts to a minimum from now on, but this one has been irking me for a really long time now (as the sprite was finalized didn't want to bring it up myself).

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It still took me a good few seconds to see the pixels even after that was pointed out. XD

18. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    The edit is a nice touch, it does look better. :colbert:

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    By the All Spark, can we STOP whining about Sonic's sprite?

Not to mention you haven't even TOUCHED Super Sonic yet >_>

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Middle spike looks better in the 2nd sprite.