don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Inferno

Inferno

Sonic 1 Definitive

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    [​IMG]

3. Just testing, I'm not promising this will make it (also, too big to upload onto Le Weekee™).

4. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen

It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member
    Italy
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    [SSRG Crosspost]
    Announcing a "new" project!

That's right, it's Score Rush again. I told myself that the time I learn how to render text on the Mega Drive would be the time I remaster Sonic 1 - Score Rush, as there's a lot of nifty features I wanted to have, but could only implement with that know-how. And that time has finally come.

I decided that, instead of just using the "PRESS START BUTTON" font to display "SCORE RUSH" on the title screen, I'd make something fancier. It was not terribly easy to code in, and I was afraid of lacking sufficient VRAM, but luckily, Green Hill's background was far enough into VRAM for me to replace a good portion of the foreground art with the new "SCORE RUSH" emblem I made. I must say, I'm really proud of how it came out, despite the amount of vertical screen estate occupied by the Title Screen on its own.

Big thanks to MunchJrGames, Slick-Nick and Dr-Luxcario for their work on the Sonic 1 emblem font sprite sheet! Go check it out here.

As for release dates, Score Rush shouldn't take too long to develop. I'm pushing for a June release, but I guarantee nothing.

Also, for the time being, I will be putting most of my focus on Score Rush, therefore, I'm putting Sonic Magnified's development on hold.

6. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    At some point I was expecting karamelldansen to pop up.

7. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member

I've been working on-and-off on a Mega Drive emulator since September, and I've just implemented YM2612 emulation.

I've written a blog post detailing the process of adding this, which you can read here. I've also documented other aspects of developing the emulator, such as the VDP's Interlace Mode 2 and Shadow/Highlight mode. You can find a list of my emulator-related blog posts here.

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Nothing has changed much since a year ago, but here's an airship.
    [​IMG]

Also debating if it's worth revamping the entire foreground, keep it, or redo everything like a drug addict, so just incase:
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
  10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I think it looks good but maybe try some different palettes out, no reason it has to be Spring Yard 2 so literally. The homage would still be apparent but a different colour scheme might be more fresh.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  12. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Been messing around with Sega CD boot mode 1 some. Made a "mode 7" graphics and Ricoh PCM streaming demo a while ago.

Download is in the description. Works on real hardware, too.

Been working on and off on it and making a full on driver for it that can play back sequence data.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  13. rata

rata

Argentina
    I'm so interested on someone using the ricoh chip in conjunction with the 2612... that's arcade level of sound right there.

14. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Would be possible and interesting, but there's no YM2612 being utilized in either video.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

[​IMG]

Something I've toggled around with and got working in VERY rough condition (as clearly shown with some graphics :P).

Fun fact: Sonic 2 actually has a separate 2 player level order routine if you deactivate the VS results. It consists of the three levels and then goes back to the SEGA screen.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. rata

rata

Argentina
    Oh yeah I didn't meant to mean the YM part for your video specifically. Sorry if it sounded like that.
    But since we're here... do you have plans to do something with that on the future, or SCD is such of an interface mess that it's not realistically feasible?

17. Devon

Devon

your mom
    I can make it work. The Genesis side can send an interrupt request towards the CD side whenever.

18. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member

My emulator finally gives the Z80 instructions their proper durations, so DAC samples now play at the correct speed. With this, some games are now fully emulated with no missing or broken features. This may be the last update here for a while.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member

Showcasing the new character select screen, and some Blaze gameplay.

As a side note...
    If knowledgeable people wish to help with this project, feel free to contact me through discord. You can find me on the Sonic Retro, SSRG or MDDC discord servers, if you need to. I am looking for sprite artist, level art artist, musicians and pretty much anybody who is more experienced in 68K assembly code. I'd like to get a demo of this out at some point, but with just myself doing a bulk of the work and not having as much free time as I wish I could dedicate to it, progress is pretty slow.

20. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    EDIT: nvm

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022