don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Eh? come again? I don't think mangas count.

2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Why wouldn't they?

3. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Manga does count, since they're technically comics; this is Guinness WORLD record we're talking about.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    But arn't mangas taken into a different account seeing as they are planned from the start for long-term issue count?

Either way I think Archie Sonic still holds the record officially so its up to the Guinness people to consider it.

5. I think the Guiness record is for traditional, monthly, "floppy" comic books as we know them in the west. Manga are published (and apparently planned?) in a different manner, being published together with other stuff by the publisher in magazines, and then later collected into volumes. So, they probably would judge things differently.

Pokemon Special DOES have a huge dependency on the games continuing and adapting at least parts of them into each arc. The writer HAS to either be given tons of back info ahead of time, or he's an utter master at prediction and making some things up as he goes along. (The only thing I remember that severely contradicts later canon is Silver's blood-type) [EDIT: I had a point here, but I've lost it somewhere. Maybe it was to point out that not all manga is planned with an "end in mind"? Sorry]

BUT ANYWAY SONICS.

I think that the harder-to-reference/use characters could be used as a base for "new" ones. For example, maybe the Baron could be retooled to be Bunnie's father instead. And, Matilda's existence as Mighty's sister was first introduced in 185. Which was written by Ian. So, she's probably safe enough. Shard could easily just be a "repurposed" Metal/Mecha Sonic, with so many ways he could have gotten his personality.

Or, maybe I'm trying too hard to be optimistic.

Also SSSM#10 is finally on the Archie store. If anyone else wants a print version.

6. Tylinos

Tylinos

Solcits are up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, apparently Digest #6 is out in digital form, and straight-up reprints Issues #1 to 8.

EDIT:
    [quotename='Ian Flynn']Just to cut off some confusion: on the STH#261 main cover, Coral is not featured. There will be a lot of new characters introduced in this arc - and in the immediate future overall.

And, yes, the guy on the cover is a mantis shrimp. Good eye, folks.[/quote]

7. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    So, I haven't read the comics in an age. Where's a good place to jump back in?

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I would say right after the "Worlds Collide" arc. The comic is going through a huge purge thanks to Ken Penders making Sega and Archie wary, so the arc that is beginning now is essentially a full series reboot; the world's been reset and almost nothing from the last 250+ issues will have any bearing on the future.

Still, Flynn's writing starting around 200 on is some of the best storytelling the Sonic franchise as a whole has ever had, so if you're okay with knowing its been rendered moot, you've got a good 60+ issue run to sink your teeth into.

9. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I have read some of Flynns work, having stopped reading about 1.5-2 years ago. It was a huge step up from Penders' work.

But thanks for the recommendation. :)

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So, SSMB's Darkspeeds and Tracy Yardley have been up to stuff, cool stuff:
    http://darkspeeds.deviantart.com/journal/Tracy-Yardley-s-book-just-arrived-438340739
    http://yardley.deviantart.com/journal/Huge-thanks-to-Elson-Wong-438378270

[​IMG]

I want that.

11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    It's a tribute to Tracy, but it's not published by Archie ;)

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wish it was, I'd buy it for sure! hopefully it gets Darkspeeds more into Archie, hes really such a mega-fan and having him on board as an artist would be cool too.

13. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    In his latest journal he said

And also said that he'll go back in Australia (well, all of it is in the link you posted earlier)

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    If Trunks75 got in he will for sure, hopefully he still tries.

Yeah I'm gona relay this from SSMB, but appearently the chatter is that Ian is trying to get in contact with Chris Senn for some reason, pretty desprately. Wonder why?...

15. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    I'm Wild Mass Guessing, but I think Ian probably wants to add Tiara Boobowski into the cast somewhere down the road. With chicks like Hershey and Mina now seemingly off-limits, he may be looking for existing candidates to replace them. And it may be Senn, not Sega, who owns the character. I remember he used to maintain a MySpace page for her way, way back in the day. I wouldn't be surprised to see Honey the Cat, eventually too.

16. Tylinos

Tylinos

Also, small update: Ian got in contact with Senn, and apparently whatever it was went well.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I wonder if he'll try and get other obscure SEGA Sonic characters in. Hey, maybe Scourge can return as "Ashura" to get around the whole "me me me" issue of Penders, if we're looking at characters like that. Maybe Tikal as well, since Chaos apparently inhabits a mountain now and pops up when a big crisis occurs..

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh god, that offpanel! god damn I'm giggling like an idiot. XD

19. Tylinos

Tylinos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]