don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat

The 2 worlds way is just more believable overall imo despite inconsistencies. Could someone mention any other notable contradiction besides Angel Island/Mystic Ruins that I might not remember. I’m not gonna worry about comments made by people in station square or tv.

Again my point with Robotnik was after the Death Egg (which crashed before SA) he would have been considered the most dangerous man in the world even if he could get away with the islands stuff. GUN wouldn’t be the only law enforcement.

I know 1 world can work but 2 worlds is just the more believable version to me.

2. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    There are no humans (other than robotnik) in heroes. Shadow fell back to Earth in sa2. Why is he suddenly on another planet?

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    And who says he isn't? It's Robotnik, the man has an army of robots on his side. I might not consider Sonic X canon, but it does show what would most likely happen if they attempted an all out assault.

Not to mention the large variety and locations of his bases: the man has been doing this for a while. Even if you track one down, there's not only no guarantee he's there, it's likely to alert him you're looking for him.

Not to mention, if you think the Death Egg was bad, I can't imagine how you're react to what he does in Sonic Adventure 2 to the Moon... and still has Robotnik Corp...

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

GUN robots showed up in Sonic Rush, implying that GUN does indeed try to fight off Eggman. The guy is just too much for them to handle, seeing how he was able to singlehandedly infiltrate the base where they were keeping Shadow in SA2.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, it’s not explored in too great depth in the games but Battle and Riders have shown he has fronts selling consumer grade versions of his hardware which is likely how he’s able to amass the resources needed to keep up his operations. In a situation like that, his less scrupulous business partners likely wouldn’t be compliant in any attempts to go after these facades of legitimacy or indeed Eggman himself. As such, Eggman’s probably pretty hard for governmental organisations like G.U.N. to touch, so long as he’s not walking around in broad daylight somewhere like Station Square.

6. Wildcat

Wildcat

Ok I like the explanation that he’s evaded capture because he has an army of machines. I was thinking someone would have arrested him (off screen) after being defeated and is “unarmed”. Like they were keeping track as Sonic fought him.

I know he destroys the moon. I’ve played all the mainline games. I just thought it was more believable that SA and SA2 were his first attacks on earth where Sonic and friends assist us instead of humans witnessing the Death Egg but seemingly do nothing.

As for Shadow doesn’t he die in SA2? Isn’t Heroes one of his clones?

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Even then, like I said, the news report confirms Sonic's been doing this for a long time:

"Eyewitnesses also speculate that the culprit may be Sonic the Hedgehog, the hero who saved the world from numerous incidents."

7:42

So Sonic Adventure isn't just the first instance of Sonic saving Earth.

No, Shadow the Hedgehog confirms that Shadow's the actual Shadow: Robotnik tells him so as the final battle progresses for a certain length of time:

8. Wildcat

Wildcat

Oh I didn’t remember that about Shadow. I have his game but only played through it once.

9. You'd be surprised how many people didn't know this, you only hear that specific line roughly 10 minutes into the fight when the boss only takes roughly 2-5 minutes. You'd almosr never hear it on a normal run. I didn't even know that line existed until a few years after the game was out.

Why they decided to put such an important line in a spot nobody is going to hear it is beyond me...

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

True Story. To reach the final fight, one's gotta be good at it, so they'd hardly ever think of prolonging the fight for that long.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    ... because Eggman rescued him? Like, you're asking the same thing as "why is he alive after SA2". Eggman rescued him, we know that. Why would that make him locked to one planet when Eggman went between the two as needed?

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    For the sake of argument, his containment chamber in Heroes looked pretty integrated into whatever building he was being kept in, so it doesn't seem logistically feasible for Eggman to be taking Shadow with him when working under the theory that he's moving between two planets. And of course, there's the question of Omega. In his coding, he's clearly capable of rebelling against Eggman, so there's no reason for him not to try and slaughter the guy the instant he opens up the bunker to transport Shadow.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    upload_2022-3-26_13-55-0.png

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    *Except anything by Penders.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    And Chronicles (which is not by Penders, sort of)
    [​IMG]

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The "Everything is canon" mantra is just a white lie to appease fans confirmed.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

It's unfortunate that SEGA has no balls to clarify the canonicity and timeline of the gameverse.
    Letting the fandom stay this divided only adds to conflicts and toxicity among fellow fans.
    And I know it'd still be a futile attempt of their side, this late in the game. The damage's done.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think it was just a statement made to console the nerves of anyone who preferred the 'two worlds' bit. lol

You can't get much more "this is canon" than an official Sega-made video series starring the VAs talking about what the gameverse's world is like, in cooperation with Sonic Team and the person writing Frontiers.

For something they've previously never even given a response to, let alone an answer; this is a lock.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Ah, I’ve been looking for this tweet to post it here. What’s more interesting to me is the inference that Sonic’s direction seems to be under the stewardship of the American side of SEGA from now, at least as far as the setting and narrative goes. That doesn’t surprise me too much given Aaron Webber’s promotion a couple of years back and I’m sure he maintains communication with his friends made as a community manager, but I digress. I wonder to what degree the American staff are able to steer this franchise.

20. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Well, I didn't know the Bumblekast live stream was happening today so I missed most of it. I guess I will have to save my Gizoid question for next month.