don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It shares only half the zones, and Labyrinth Zone barely looks like the same place. You also find Chaos Emeralds in the levels, and the Special Stages look nothing like the Mega Drive version. I'd heavily dispute the latter portion of your post.

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    If Colors DS and Lost World 3DS are canon, Sonic 1 GG is canon.

(unless they decide otherwise)

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Which is also why I consider the Game Gear titles canon regardless. If the portable games can be canon, so can the portable games.

4. People are literally trying to say that the whole two worlds thing was just a big mistranslation/misunderstanding. Let that sink in.

I dunno- when Ian Flynn and his wife feel the need to complain about this when they both have gone on record today saying two worlds was, in fact, the official stance for years now...

Man, I picked the wrong fandom :/

5. Wildcat

Wildcat

I guess I can buy the 1 world canon but I honestly think it works better if it’s 2.

The different looking environments, the rest of the anthropomorphic characters and Robotnik’s standpoint...nobody else was aware of what he was doing will all those machines?

I’ve always imagined Robotnik tried to take over Sonic’s world because he thought it’d be easy with no humans around. After being defeated he returns to earth (in SA) but Sonic and friends follow him.

Of course there’s some contradictions but you kind of give a pass to them because overall it make more sense this way and maybe those things can be explained.

I don’t think this Tails video ends the 2-worlds debate. I think both ways will always exist throughout the franchise and you just pick your preference so I’m not really bothered by it.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

You would be surprised with our very Earth we live on.

Doesn't work because Amy Rose was living in Station Square and surely was not trying to defeat Eggman.

No it doesn't. Angel Island being in both planets is a giant mess.

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I'd buy it if humans didn't build their roads into insane useless exaggerated loops going between buildings with similarly naturally occurring loops exactly like the ones that are on the islands themselves.

Overall seems like the best solution. Makes sure that things can happen without having to complicate more than "well, they just flew to hang out everywhere else." Makes it harder to believe that there's a massive population of furries living in the world, though, since I don't think we've seen (known) settlements populated exclusively by them (outside of Forces which I'm just gonna disregard literally everything from)

8. Wildcat

Wildcat

Angel Island is the only major contradiction I can think of at the moment. Maybe the Master Emerald warped it here? Don’t hold me to that explanation I’m just thinking off the top of my head.

Amy Rose could have arrived first. SA does not have to be the first time humans met animal characters. Just Robotnik attempting to take over.

Sure Earth has many unique real life environments and species but that’s not really the issue. Just one of the examples for 2 world fitting better.

The problem with 1 world is...how was nobody else aware of what Robotnik was doing in Sonic 1, 2, 3K, 3D Blast? No other humans or military even bothered to investigate after the first events?

It’s not that 1 world can’t work it’s that there’s more reason to make it 2.

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

I mean, there's nothing saying other humans weren't aware of it.

People seem to be aware of Eggman and what he does in Station Square before the Egg Carrier passes through the city. And they are aware of Sonic and his exploits as well.

Seems Eggman's forces are more advanced/powerful than what G.U.N. has too.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The only human force that apparently can fight Eggman to some extent is GUN, but GUN is a corrupt police that is more concerned with cleaning up their own dirty tracks than doing their actual job.

After SA2, how many times did you see GUN actually doing anything to stop Eggman? I guess Chronicles, but it's non-canon, and I guess 06, which was reset and they were searching for the Scepter of Darkness more than trying to arrest Eggman or something. They did get involved in Shadow the Hedgehog, but then again, that guy in charge was on a personal vendetta against Shadow. In general they just don't give a damn.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat

What I’m saying though is nobody tried to intervene and arrest Robotnik after the seeing the Death Egg? He’d should be the most wanted man on earth then. 3D Blast and SA should have started with him breaking out of prison or something if it’s 1 world.

Sure he’s still free post-SA but at least with 2 worlds you can say humans have come to accept Sonic and friends travelled here to help...not that we sat back and left it up to them through multiple games.

I can buy into Angel Island being sent here or something since the emeralds are mysterious.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I can easily imagine, especially with that being theorised at one point (before it was clarified as no, two separate planets, if you recall my comments to a similar effect and frustration when said clarification came out).

I like to think, after the ARK Incident, G.U.N. received severe backlash, to the point several countries left the organisation and refused them permission to enter their territory.

This is also why you have G.U.N. boxes around Soleanna but very limited actual presence: they recently kicked G.U.N. out and are only allowing a limited entry due to Robotnik kidnapping their princess: they won't allow the airships in, but some agents are fine until Robotnik is dealt with.

There's a report about G.U.N. investigating the rampaging robots in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, and the fleet that appears to have been hijacked in Sonic Rush, as well...

13. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Perhaps GUN are reluctant to stop eggy as they don't want anything else linking them to the surname "Robotnik" after what happened with the ark. They're pretty dead set on no one finding out about it (they literally murdered a child to cover it up).

As for the classics, these are small islands no one cares about. Eggman is basically just going over there and setting up factories. The big space laser of death is an issue though, I assume that eggman would make some cloaking device or whatever.

Linking back to the point that GUN likely was given backlash and presumably got a lot of their funding cut, it's possible that they just didn't have the resorcess to investigate.

And my head cannon for forces is that weird warpy imaginary phantom ruby crap happened and it's all a bad dream that someone had after eating too much cheese. Or it takes place on one island and the world map isn't representative of anything.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I mean who’s to say anybody didn’t try and stop Eggman? Ultimately he’s an evil genius with the resources to build and launch a space station from a remote, thought to be mythical island in the first place, I’m sure laying low for a bit to avoid G.U.N. taking him in is entirely within his capabilities. Also, corruption has already been mentioned. Without putting too fine a point on it, powerful organisations certainly aren’t above neglecting their obligation to do what’s morally correct if it means they stand to lose from it.

15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yeah. I also remembered that Tails was in it, making it impossible for it to come before Sonic 2. So assuming Sonic CD comes before Sonic 2 (which Sega confirmed), Spinball doesn't work as the explanation for Sonic's supposed space trip before CD.

And Mystic Ruins, which was clearly in the same world as Station Square (making it the human world), yet it was the place Angel Island was originally part of and where Knuckles' ancestors used to live.

And Shadow, who was created in the supposed human world yet is clearly an anthro.

And the Chaos Emeralds, which seemingly pop up in both worlds, and were previously studied by Gerald.

And Chao, which likewise show up in both worlds.

How would the humans know that Eggman is doing something in some remote islands inhabited only by animals and anthros?

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Counterpoint: they were?

[​IMG]

The newscaster in Sonic Adventure 2 also mentions Sonic's saved the world several times. They know.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

And maybe we even have some jurisdiction problem. GUN might be linked with several countries, but the islands are not human territory and don't belong to any country. GUN just aren't allowed to investigate there.

18. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    You're so seriously discussing why humans didn't intervene on the events of the first games I almost forgot you were discussing something related to a single anthro heroe stopping the whole death star. If we're gonna go that way, how is it the planet has enough resources to build everything eggman builds while also letting the whole world civilization (anthros or not) have their buildings and technology too?

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Because of the Chaos Drives!

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Chaos Emeralds for energy instead of oil/gas/nuclear reactors, and there's at least two extra planets (Little Planet and Lost Hex) with one having a mining infrastructure and Robotnik could be salvaging and melting down his failed plans where he can (I imagine the Death Egg's wreckage might be good for a couple of Egg Carriers...)