don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
  2. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So we have another Sonic TV show cameo.

In the newest episode of Resident Alien, (Season 2, Episode 2).

I spotted what appears to be an Archie Sonic comic under the kids bed.
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/DaveLuty/status/1500093680245477378?t=wVjDOKruxofVLjWZ5EgkeQ&s=19

Wider Lore: given the age of the kid and how the show is set present day, it's highly likely this kid is contextually speaking a Sonic Fan to own said particular issue.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  3. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    Or, you know, they just bought a box of random old comics at a garage sale. I can't tell what the comic on top is, but that issue of Backlash (#10) was published 27 years ago in 1995. I've never heard of this show...how old is this kid supposed to be?

4. Probably been mentioned somewhere, but Team Sonic Racing is free on PS Plus. I’m going to try it out tonight. Hopefully I can get my gf into it since she loves Mario Kart games and it’s a hassle to hook up the Wii U just for that.

Edit: Gameplay feels so slow. I don’t know if difficulty equates to Mario Kart’s CC classes, but even on expert it’s just slow. I played a few matches with my little brother online and it was fun though. Music was good and the graphics are quite nice and definitely are the highlight. It’s been a while since I played Transformed, but I remember having more fun with that. They have the opportunity to create a faster, more skill-based alternative to Mario Kart and should pursue that in the future. I’d like to see a potential sequel return to featuring more Sega franchises and implement gameplay similar to Sega’s arcade racers. It’d be cool to have the Smash Bros/Fighters Megamix of arcade racing games.

Game is decent as it is, I just lack that visceral feeling of excitement I get from a good run in other racers like Daytona, Sega Rally, or even All Stars Transformed. I know it’s a completely different genre than Daytona and Sega Rally, but it’s definitely worth differentiating further from Mario Kart if they’re trying to carve out an audience. I love Mario Kart, but it’s just a matter of it being the most accessible racer I can play with people. With the decline of arcade racers, I think there’s an audience who’d appreciate a new twist on the genre and Sega should take advantage of it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Powpuck

Powpuck

dandalyn graciously recorded S&KC with what has been deduced to be its intended synth, the SC-88 (reportedly the synth used in the Flying Battery arrangement by Masaru Setsumaru for Mario & Sonic 2016 Rio Olympics)

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    This new(ish) commercial for kids shows on Paramount Plus features a certain hedgehog at the 0:10 mark (lower left corner).

7. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Seeing Sonic in the same legitimate presence as SpongeBob and Patrick is rather trippy but cool. That's quite a cute drawing of him I must say.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I wonder if there is a soundfont for this, for use with the mod loader...

9. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Roland does sell a VSTi plugin that includes the SC-88 as well as their other famous Sound Canvas products such as the SC-55.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The BASSMIDI library I use only supports .sf2 files.

11. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    I'm curious, besides the SC-88 being used for Mario & Sonic which is a completely different game, how did they come to the conclusion that this was the intended synth? Was it what the developers were using when they were making the music for S&KC?

12. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Nothing is stopping you from adding VSTi support which I argue is good idea for any game that uses MIDI. A proper VSTi can actually be better than a soundfont in a lot of cases.

Looking at the MIDIs themselves can reveal a lot and if a certain instrument is requested by the MIDI that's only available on a certain synthesizer of that period, you know what was used. It's the 1990's so this task is a lot easier than one would think it is. Especially considering the popularity of the Roland Sound Canvas line of synthesizers.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    What's stopping me is that I don't want to make an entire MIDI player from scratch, or have to integrate a third music playing library really.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  16. So I for sure am ecstatic that this was never filmed.

17. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I've tossed this idea around myself before. The proportions do seem to match. Virtua Fighter Kids was released in arcades to the ST-V platform while Sonic the Fighters was on the more powerful Model2b. The Virtua Fighter 2 engine which both games share history from had been faithfully ported to the Saturn and Kids did get it's own Saturn release (with ST-V being very close to Saturn hardware). It would be interesting to compare the credits between the two games to see exactly how similar they could possibly be.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Fighters#Production_credits
    https://segaretro.org/Virtua_Fighter_Kids#Production_credits

19. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    "V.F.2 Team" in Special Thanks isn't very promising lol. Aside from that, nothing is really similar.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's in one of our scans and I can't remember if I posted it - Virtua Fighter Kids was "inspired" by Sonic the Fighters - the idea of making a more "accessible" fighting game. They were both in development at the same time, being worked on by separate teams.

EDIT:

there you go

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List