don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    Oh? There's something actually pretty intriguing in the text on that page. It's stated that Sonic came back from a year in space, initially unaware of what Dr Eggman was doing to Little Planet. Exactly what did this year-long trip entail I wonder?

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Nod to SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter perhaps?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, I see they're continuing the games' tradition of existing in an alternate '80s where the Sonic series started a full decade early*, haha! XD

*(Based on the fact that Sonic the Fighters gachapon machines are around in 1986, anyway)

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Was "Sonic - You can do anything" considered to, at one point, to replace Green Hill Zone theme?
    I find it interesting, that the song composed by Masafumi Ogata in Sonic The Hedgehog 2 SMS found it's way not only into the opening of Sonic CD, but also was re-arranged and used in Sonic Chaos, as a theme for Metal Green Hill Zone.

Considering Sega's history with Sonic 3, would it be possible for the team - to create and use You Can do anything as a replacement in 8-bit titles, so the company does not have to pay for licensing? There certainly is a pattern here.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think it’s a bit of a moot point when SEGA buried the hatchet with Masato Nakamura over a decade ago now, but yeah I imagine they own the composition of You Can Do Anything, just not the vocals provided for the Sonic CD version, given their omission from the 2011 release.

7. Funny that the vocal songs for both Sonic CD JP songs are still avaliable on Spotify tho'.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  9. This may be too off-topic, but I noticed that the DLC for my PS3 copy of Unleashed keeps disappearing. Like I’ll have it downloaded and it will correctly appear with the icon on each world, but twice now the icons and levels have disappeared for no apparent reason and it requires me to redownload to access them again.

Is anyone familiar with why this may happen? I can’t find anything on Google. I’m thinking it may be an issue where I’m not signed in so it doesn’t recognize the license for the DLC, but I’d have to check.

Edit: I just signed in before launching and it appears. Haven’t used the PS3 regularly in like 10 years so I guess that’s just a thing lol.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  10. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Consider this half shitpost half something kinda neat.

I was playing with the Sonic Generations free camera mod and discovered something fun with modern Sonics boost effect.

When you trigger it, the boost creates... it's almost like a warp distortion dome around the character model...

Anyway I somehow managed to get the very edge of the dome to align with Amy in the stage select screen.

When you activate the mod, the game freezes and allows you to manipulate the camera as you like.

And this allows you to see the very edge of the distortion dome and you can clearly see how light and the distortion affects everything it touches.

And when you rotate the camera around the distortion, it actually gives you some odd reflections just as I imagine a real life distortion effect would.

Meaning you get horrors like this.

https://twitter.com/DaveLuty/status/1498072876393582602?t=PZ-4dWiQEk7i2uf9wt99OA&s=19

12. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Right below that STF article is one for Virtua Fighter Kids. It dawned on me seeing the character proportions: what if there was once a more deliberate crossover planned between STF and VFK beyond Fighters Megamix?
    Not a full-blown theory; just a thought that popped up. Add to it or dismiss it however you want.

13. Pengi

Pengi

It would be cool to see some of this translated. The bit about Sonic says that he's 15-16 years old, which is the same age range the Japanese version of Sonic Jam had for him a year later.

Gaming Alexandria uploaded the February 1996 issue Arcade Game Magazine today, which has one page covering Sonic the Fighters: https://archive.org/details/arcade-game-magazine-february-1996/page/72/mode/1up

14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The Sonic Jam profiles are the same as in the Sonic 3 promo video, so Sonic had been officially labeled as 15-16 years old since at least 1994.

15. I’m a bit busy right now but could probably do it sometime this week. If no one else volunteers I’ll start translating and posting page by page.

Edit: By editing a single post, I mean, not spamming up the thread.

16. Is there any chance you could do a definitive translation of this Sonic CD one? It would be greatly appreciated :D

17. Sure, I’ll take a look at that as well. I don’t know how “definitive” it may be, but I can translate and also transcribe it text here so it’d easier if someone else wanted to look at it in the future.

Getting some flashbacks to being a JP major in undergrad lol… though I want the practice as I’ve barely used it the past two years of my master’s.

18. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    And the next issue: https://archive.org/details/arcade-game-magazine-april-1996/page/19/mode/1up

[​IMG]

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki