don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    I was much the same. Although I admitted I hadn't played/bought the game, and the initial release and lackluster bonuses were primarily the reason why.

I already have the original on Wii. The graphic upgrades aren't great, the bonuses aren't too interesting, the initial launch was a mess, my personal gripes with Colours (how Sonic controls and the stages) were ignored (there's seriously no reason for the limited moveset that swaps at scripted locations with the remaster! It was a limitation borne from the Wiimote, not because it was a good design decision that made the game more interesting), and the game had more glitches (both gameplay and graphical) than the original. The fact that I either need to buy it on EGS or play the worst version of SCU was just the cherry on top.

I haven't been following the patches and said as much. Maybe they fixed my gripes, but without the advertising push, there's really no way for someone who isn't already following it (and who's likely already bought it) to know.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The patches improved a few things, they fixed a lot of the technical issues the base game had, like the 60 fps glitches, the Lazer wisp effect not being very visible, the credits music cutting out then not playing for 20 minutes straight, various crashes, slightly improved menu navigation, slightly improved sound balancing, and it gave the option to select between using either the original soundtrack, Ultimates soundtrack, or a hybrid.

What they didn't or haven't yet fixed though are the non technical graphical issues. Starlight Carnival Act 3's start still looks awful, Sonic's pupils still don't move, the lighting was never changed, the spring sound effect is still tied into the dash sound for some reason. That being said though, mods fix a lot of these issues

3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    IMO, the biggest draw even as someone who hasn't played the original is the modding potential. Hate the controls? Mod it. Bugs? Mod it.

4. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    In my personal opinion, that's really a reason to not buy it. Not that you should pirate it, but your purchase shouldn't be based on the modding potential, or even current mod scene, of a game. If a game is a broken mess, but some fans came along and fixed it, my money should be going towards the people who fixed it, not the publisher. This is especially the case for a remaster/remake, because that should be an improvement over the original (which, imo, SCU wasn't: it's at best on-par).

By purchasing the game, you are indicating that you're happy with the product as it is. To be fair to SEGA, they are at least trying to figure out the public's consensus on SCU and get a gauge on why people bought/didn't buy the game. If a good chunk of people say they bought it because fans fixed it, or the modding potential, that'd (hopefully) give SEGA enough of a pause to not pull another SCU launch.

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Sounds to me like Sega games on PC are like Bethesda games on PC. they release broken and get fixed up even better than was intended with mods.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

Speaking of mods altering controls: has anyone made a mod allowing you to drift whenever u want like in Unleashed and Generations? Is a mod like that possible?

7. Didn't they say another patch was supposed to drop at some point? Guess that's been forgotten about, huh...?

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It took them two months to release the first patch. Patches take time because game development takes time. Be patient.

9. I'm more than patient- I've all but moved on. I just find it odd how radio silent Sega has gone with support for this game...

...I'm gonna eat my words, aren't I? The patch will be out within the week.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Colours Ultimate wasn't a big blockbuster style project for either SEGA or Blind Squirrel, and it's not the sort of game that lives or dies by its post-launch support. At least one more patch is still incoming, but it's not going to be at the top of anyone's priority list. I'd just forget about it until it's out.

11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Somehow felt like the one where they added the "burst" cosmetics was meant to be the last one, and it's been more than 6 months from release, which sounds about as long as any maintenance agreement could last. I'm not sure what'll happen.

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I was thinking this same thing, then went back and realized the last time they said another patch was coming, it was for the eventual 3.0 patch. As far as I've found they haven't committed to any more publicly.

13. So they're already done more or less? Shame.

14. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I did a playthrough of the Switch version and I have to say that this is an absolutely pathetic remaster with useless "extras". It somehow looks and runs worse than the original, and even plays worse in some instances (like how bad the Cyan Wisp aiming is). Also those loading times, jesus fucking christ. Can't say I'm surprised though, this is the quality I expected when I first saw the announcement trailer in Sonic Central almost a year ago.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Nintendo's remasters like Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Skyward Sword HD (which they got to run at 60fps, unlike Colors Ultimate), Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and even Super Mario 3D All-Stars. This is the standard of quality that Sega should aim for, but we all know they won't.

If Colors Ultimate is the kind of quality we can expect from possible future remasters of 3D Sonic games then I'm left quite sad.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I never get my hopes up for sega ports, if origins didn't have stealth/taxman behind it i'd be walking away from that collection. Both Monkey ball and Colors ultimate are awful because they were thrown through a generic at best port house and a bunch of issues the switch has come from them using software packages designed to do their job for them because it saves a little money.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Really? I thought Banana Mania was pretty well received despite some physics difference.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I guess thats the problem, the physics are different especially in monkey target.

Like, we know that taxman/stealth can recreate sonic 1-2-cd at a near perfect quality, most things act the same, very minor physics differences and then with love and care on top of that.

That wasn't a thing for colours and mania in the slightest, isn't sonic's jump different between xbox/ps and switch for example? with switch getting a slightly lower height among other issues.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don't recall any talk of Mania having these issues personally. I only have the Switch version of Colours, but the jump is most definitely crippled compared to the Wii original.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

As great as the Tax/Stealth remasters were, I wouldn't call ports that introduce new glitches "near perfect quality". SCD Steam was particularly glitchy and made time travel a much bigger pain in the ass than before from my experience (thank goodness for fan patches), and people haven't been able to tell me how many of the issues were Tax and Stealth's fault and how many came from the PC port. But I'm told the glitch with the third act using the wrong future is in all versions of the remaster, and I would say that's a major oversight for a game where the main gimmick is time travel.

20. To this day, I think NiGHTS Into Dreams has the best "port" / remake for PS2 / PC.