don't click here

Issues with SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis emulation...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by maru., Dec 30, 2021.

1. maru.

maru.

Hi! I've been trying to find an emulator for the main console of my childhood, but I'm having some issues, and I'd appreciate some help from people who probably know more about this than me, since I'm bad with computers overall.

I've tried using KEGA Fusion at first, and I really like a lot about it, especially how it's an emulator for pretty much all SEGA consoles before the 5th generation of consoles, including the add-ons even, but there's one thing about it which really bothers me, besides the fact that it isn't open-source, I can't maximize the window at all. I know this might be an odd complaint, because most people play in fullscreen anyway, and while I can play that way, I prefer a maximized window, because it's almost as big as a fullscreen, but I can still se my taskbar, with things like my laptop's battery and what time it is currently. I wish there was a way to make it so I can maximize it, but I don't think there is, still, this is my 1st choice for now.

I've experimented with Gens and its forks, Gens/GS mostly, and while it did fix the issue I had with KEGA Fusion, and allowed me to maximize the window, I had a different issue with it, the sound, it doesn't sound as good, and not only that, but for a few specific ROMs the sound is genuinely terrible, when it isn't like that in real hardware or in the emulator mentioned in the previous paragraph. I believe the best example is Ariel: The Little Mermaid, it has a clear issue in the opening and 1st level, here's how it sounds:

I believe most would agree that it's terrible, but it's not like this originally, it should be like this:

Much better, and on KEGA Fusion I can correct the sound bug by simply activating SuperHQ on the sound tab, or by pressing F11 on my keyboard to activate it that way. On Gens and all of its forks that I downloaded, I couldn't fix the issue, even when messing around with the plenty of sound settings it offers, and I have no idea why it behaves like this, and how to fix it to make it sound like in KEGA Fusion.

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    How is the debugger in Ares?

4. maru.

maru.

Update: I got Kega Fusion's window to maximize, just to be clear I've starting using Ubuntu instead of Windows since making the thread, in an attempt to revive and old laptop, and to my surprise the window for Kega Fusion on Linux isn't fixed and I can resize it, so the issue ended up solving itself by complete change due to me changing my OS. Either way, I appreciate the help!

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    blastem and ares also have native Linux binaries (and aren't 13 years old :V)

6. maru.

maru.

I know, it's just that Kega Fusion is too convenient, being an emulator for pretty much all Sega consoles and Add-Ons before the launch of the Saturn, so I like it better than BlastEm for that reason. I know Ares also has plenty of consoles available too, but it doesn't run as well for me, perhaps it's because it focuses a lot on accuracy, so it uses up more resources, and I have a weak laptop, but I prefer the way Kega Fusion runs, at least on my machine. Either way, I appreciate the recommendations.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Get yourself a hex editor. The following are instructions for Kega Fusion 3.64 only...
    • Go to offset 5CC31 and change CA to CF.
    • Go to offset 5071A and change CA to CF.
    • Go to offset 510A3 and change CA to CF.
    This will change the window style to enable resizing of the window frame and enable the Maximise system button. While the Maximise button is enabled and clickable, it has been forced not to work, so:
    • Go to offset 6C3A5 and change the two bytes 74 2F to 90 90.
    (This threw me off for a while, for some reason WM_SYSCOMMAND was hijacked directly, rather than handling it through WM_SIZE, very strange...).

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. maru.

maru.

This was a really insightful and helpful post, thank you!