don't click here

Why doesn't Sega ever port Sonic Unleashed to the PC?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by John Chrysler, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Well it's just emulation and they increased the frame rate using it. Nothing deeper. SEGA had nothing to do with the port to the newer Xbox's. It was all Microsoft.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  2. MH MD

MH MD

That's not the case...entirely
    the game DID have 30fps cap in the 360 version
    it was the PS3 version that actually had unlocked framerate, which make the performance of the PS3 version actually worse, cause its uneven and goes between something like sub 20 to sub 40, but if you emulate the PS3 version on a strong PC, it actually reach 60 FPS just fine, that's not the case with 360 version

as for Unleashed in Series X, it's not a case of just using extra power and be done with it,or else it would have happened years ago with Xbox one X or Series X, what really happens is that Microsoft actually work on all those games individually and engineer them in a way that makes them use the power of newer consoles.

what DID happen without Microsoft involvement -before the 60 FPS boost update- is that the performance of stages like Jungle Joyride and Eggmanland were actually solid 30FPS in Series X/S, cause those were the kind of stages that stressed 360 consoles and chugged horribly

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I'm just glad Microsoft even bothered. Including it as a back-compat title in the first place probably didn't take any real effort since it's all emulation, but they would've had to actually take the time to patch and QA Unleashed for 60fps specifically, which says to me someone at Microsoft thought Unleashed was worth the time and effort to bother updating.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Mana

Mana

I mean you can literally buy Unleashed and Generations at the store , right now, with Xbox One branding and it was one of the most popular games of that generation so its not really a random or out there decision to give it an FPS boost option. It was very much calculated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    A different question that's tangentially related: Why doesn't Sega release older PC Sonic games on Steam? Like Sonic Heroes, R, and Riders (or even Ecco) already have PC versions. They aren't great versions of the games, but considering Lost World PC has a game-breaking bug that doesn't allow you finish it, they would fit right in.

6. What lmao

I didn't play much of Lost World PC (planning to pick it up again soon) and this is the first I've heard of it lol

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Really? I was able to complete the game on PC.

Well all of Lost World is weird. If you beat all those missions it says you get a reward but you flat out get shit. Super Sonic has 2 mouths and weird quill errors. 100 ring 1 ups weren't in the game until a patch. The Deadly Six... exist.

Yea lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I also finished Lost World PC just fine. Perhaps qwertysonic is actually thinking about this?

And btw, what's wrong with the Heroes and Riders ports?

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    My copy of Lost World PC crashes whenever I finish Frozen Factory Act 3. I've tried figuring out what's happening so I can get around it to no avail.
    Not sure about Riders, but I know Heroes' PC port has all sorts of brokenness and jank that isn't present in the console versions.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    When I played Lost World on the PC, my bug was the butterflies in Tropical Coast not working, which made it impossible to finish the level. The fix was updating the game to the public test build. I think that might work for some others.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Heroes PC has several bugs, but the main thing that sticks out to me is the fact that Big's textures don't load correctly. He doesn't have stripes in Heroes PC.
    This was to do with the uncapped framerate, a I think it's since been fixed in all versions. Funny that both it and Colours Ultimate broke in places when the frame limits were sloppily removed. It's like nobody played through the games...

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Yeah I'm referring to the butterflies glitch which I was able to finish using the public test build. That then had it's own glitch for me that made it unbeatable until I switched back. That was a while ago and I don't remember it. Good to hear it's finally fixed. Super annoying that Sega released the game in that state.

As for heroes it's jankity on PC, but it does run. Big not having stripes was weird. It seams like releasing the older PC games on Steam would be a no-brainer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I didn't encounter any major glitches on PC. Lucky me, I guess. What was a little off putting, though, was the discrepancy of LW not looking as bright and colourful as how I remembered it on Wii U. Weeeeird. As for Sonic Heroes, it's old. I had to map the shoulder buttons to Start and Select. Doesn't that alone speak volumes?

But once accustomed to that, both games played just fine. :V

14. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

If Colours Ultimate was any proof of how they treat rereleases of games that people actually like, maybe an Unleashed rerelease would fare even worse. Probably be the biggest franchise monkeys paw since asking for a 4th 2d Sonic.

I can already imagine the garbage remixes, bloom out the wazoo, the new Star Tokens that unlock tacky cosmetics. And doing nothing to address the games underlying faults.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't believe X360 backward compatibility is straightforwardly "just an emulator". If it were, then there wouldn't be such a restriction on which games could be played with the new systems' forward compatibility. For downloaded games, sure, I understand that there are licensing issues. But for the consoles that actually have a disc drive there shouldn't be any restrictions if it's normal emulation.

I'm pretty sure they're rebuilding the code, same as they did for original XBox compatibility on 360 and 360 compatibilty on XBox One -- and they absolutely needed to rebuild the game to get it working on One.

16. Mana

Mana

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Fission

"Backwards compatible games can be purchased or downloaded through the Microsoft store, or inserted via the disc drive. Unlike the previous Fusion emulator for the 360, games do not run directly from the disc, and the Xbox One or Series X/S must be connected to the internet for DRM purposes. When a disc is inserted, a prompt saying an update is required to start the game will appear, accepting the prompt will download a repackaged version of the game to fit the Xbox One or Series X/S format."

I see

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  17. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Shit, rock, yeah!!

18. Taylor

Taylor

Sorry to dredge the Capcom vs Sega argument back up but it needs to be pointed out for future readers: the difference is that Sega is more careful with Sonic's brand image than Capcom is with Mega Man. Just ask Ian Flynn about his experiences writing for both. Flynn was allowed to do just about anything with Mega Man while with Sonic, Sega watches him like a hawk (to the point where he recently had to stop writing Shadow out of frustration). Or look at how Capcom put "Bad Box Art" Mega Man as a playable character in Tekken x Street Fighter as opposed to the real Mega Man. Sega may acknowledge memes but they'd never go as far as to, say, have Sonic replaced in Smash with Sanic Hegehog. Hence why Capcom doesn't care about dropping a Mega Man collection that's largely crap :V

Sega does kinda bend that rule when convenient though, such as putting Lost World on Steam. But in that case, the game was already built for PC anyway.

19. Mana

Mana

Also it's a good game in the franchise that has a lot of fans. I can't get to Steamspy for it right now because they locked it behind a Paetron but we talked about it in the Retro server before and LW is the 3rd best selling Sonic game on steam behind Gens and Adventure 2.

I never experienced any of the bugs people said they had either and I've beaten the game at least 6 times on steam.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Or GOG.com
    I mean, Ubisoft did it with Rayman, so what's Sega excuse? Some copyrights maybe? If so, GOG often resolves the copyright issues by themselves.