don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    If for some reason the split between Classic and Modern didn't exist anymore, how do you fit Sonic 4 and Sonic Mania altogether in the same timeline?

Sonic CD has to have happened before both of them. If Sonic Mania came before Sonic 4, it would be weird because Sonic 4 states Metal Sonic came back from his defeat in Sonic CD, not Mania. If Sonic 4 came before Sonic Mania, it would be weird because it uses modern aesthetics (the amusingly controversial green eyes) while Mania is all classic.

2. Pengi

Pengi

Sonic Mania left Metal Sonic exactly where Sonic CD did; defeated, in Stardust Speedway. In Mania it was Stardust Speedway's present, but Metal Sonic would still be there in the future.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Considering my view of Sonic Mania as partially an illusion, including the portion where Metal Sonic appears, I'd chalk Metal Sonic's appearance as him being part of the illusion and Robotnik never bothered to collect him until the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Tell me more. Is your point of view that the whole game took place within/upon the Titanic Monarch/Egg Reverie area and was never on South/Westside/Angel Island at all? (considering the "stage/stadium" lights).

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I think the first half is an illusionary version of the world.

Angel Island, that's real. Then the duo & Knuckles are hit with the illusions, which shows Green Hill since the first organic it interacts with is Sonic. Then Robotnik gets it:

Chemical Plant - refinery littered with Robotnik signage.
    Studiopolis - location houses EGG TV
    Flying Battery - Robotnik's flying artillery setup.
    Press Garden - a propaganda printing press for Robotnik
    Stardust Speedway - Seems normal, until we see the giant Robotnik statue being built.

Then they're hit with it again: this is where I think Robotnik deliberately let them out of the illusion bar the Hard-Boiled Heavies, which became like the Phantom Illusions seen in Sonic Forces, because now we're back on Angel Island, specifically Hydrocity Zone.

After this the group are basically on a mad dash to get to the Little Planet, aka where Robotnik showed them where he was: they use the Tornado to go there, but get shot down and have to hijack one of Robotnik's transports. Robotnik likely noticed them and crashed it into Angel Island, which was making it's way to the Little Planet (just not fast enough, hence using the Tornado, but the whole getting shot down thing let it catch up), before they finally get on the planet and make their way through Robotnik's bases.

Of course, I'm attributing a story to a game that likely never had any of this in mind, it's a pretty sweet thought experiment though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  6. I like it, but the only issue is that since Mirage Saloon is on Westside Island, that implies that both Little Planet and Angel Island are miraculously in close proximity to Westside Island at the same time.

Not impossible mind you, but it's an assumption we'd have to make. I guess that's just part of theorizing lol.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Considering the Master Emerald is an active entity, it could very well have been deliberately moving for Little Planet.

Otherwise, I could easily envision Sonic the Hedgehog 4 taking place on West Side Island, which would put Sonic the Hedgehog CD similarly on the island. Seems a lot, but consider lands like Hawaii, which has a lake hidden in the middle of it (Lake Waiau), or Newzealand, which I generally imagine West Side Island to be akin to in size.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Sonic 4 episode 3 should have Time Stones' gimmicks which they make Sonic and Tails turn Classic and Modern so they use abilities of each era.

9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Should have? You don't actually think it's still coming, do you?

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Well I said should have, not will have.

11. Then it would be "should have had".
    Sonic 4 takes place on the unofficially officially named "Mirage Island".

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Japanese manual:
    If it's まぼろしじま, that's often translated as 'Mirage Island', I'll have a translator check if a viable translation.

Not directly, but sufficient enough as 'illusionary'.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

There are (very likely) other Zeti in the Lost Hex, not only the Deadly Six.
    15:07

14. No, I mean there was that whole shebang with Aaron Webber (right?) And the guys with the paper or whatever that had Mirage Island written on it. Where is that?

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I am burnt out on the Deadly Six, so the thought of more Zeti makes me grimace on sight. But if we hadn't had so much of that gang being so "meh" I'd be more interested in this, so I'm at least glad it's more of a species and not "these weird 6 creatures who I guess are evil on this other planet thing maybe I guess".

EDIT: On further thought, exploring some Zetis in the comics that aren't evil and can help flesh out the Deadly Six by proxy might be a neat thing.

17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's really weird that they'd be so interested in and encouraging the making of more Zeti.
    I think part of the reason it seems so out of place is that we were never clued in to the fact that there was any more life on the Lost Hex than the 6, some snow creatures, and the (assumedly) foreign small animals, and maybe the wisps live there but who knows? Nobody ever talks about the areas they're in.
    It makes you wonder how Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot never came across these other Zeti and had problems with them, assuming "I am a bad guy and I like being a bad guy" is the default for Zeti behavior.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eh, considering the rest of things, I'm good with my headcanon that Mirage Island is just West Side Island, the former being a nickname.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya the Lost Hex was weird. Angel island is explained, it's Knuckles home, ot floats due to an emerald, he's alone save for local animals. The Lost Hex is just... there. Why? Who knows. Who lives there save for these 6 assholes?

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

And why Tails talks about the Lost Hex as if anyone knows some legend around it?
    And why is there some weird magic shell that inhibits the powers of the Deadly Six? Who built this thing?