don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. The only difference between then and now is that these issues are much more publicized than they were before.

Even if a game released in an unfinished state, nine times out ten you wouldn't even know about it.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Patches definitely have their place. Now we don't get like significant regional differences, multiple versions of Sonic 1 and 2 with different glitches and features, that glitch where you turned Super after a sign post and softlock the game. But theyre using them as a crutch now, finishing games later, rushing things out the gate, basically making paying customers unpaid QA testers.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Add to all that that games may grow old for a particular someone's interest before they get any planned patch. There's a difference between "You're enjoying it already, but we can and will make it even better!" and "We'll make this interesting for you at some point, but give us your cash now to earn the privilege of running a WIP that you may not want to play when it's really ready to be played."

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    when the new patch released I went back through the whole thing but basically stopped short of going for all the Red Star Rings again for whatever reason.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I've seen more ads for this game since December 1st than I did in the entire three months it was out before then. Now that a few patches are out, I think they're banking on holiday sales (plus the series' usual incredibly long tail. I mean, if Unleashed can still sit brand-new on store shelves for $20 after 13 years and Generations is still racking in the big ones...)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So, did they manage to fix the loadings on switch version? Can you finally tinker with sound settings? If I'm not mistaken, the sound FX and music weren't separate.

Unfortunately, we live in an age where You pay big bucks for an incomplete experience, riddled with bugs and problems. I often wait a year or two before I get the game that I want, and I'm staying the heck away from the FOMO train.
    I don't have to play everything when it's brand new and flashy. I actually played Assassin's Creed 2 back in 2013, when the game was around 4-5 years old, and I very much enjoyed it (and didn't have to wait years for Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 etc.). I even replayed it last year, and You know what? It's still good.

7. netscapenow

netscapenow

Just got a patch on PS5 in the UK. Version 1.09. Anyone know what it does? I haven't noticed anything so far, first things i went to check were the flickering smog in Planet Wisp, the wisp capsule you can't collect at the start of Asteroid Coaster and Starlight Carnival Act 3's intro they're all still broken.

EDIT: Did some more exploring and noticed the Final Colour Blaster effect on the boost bar isn't glitched anymore. So that's something, I guess.

FURTHER EDIT: https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1471197810565341184 well that answers that then

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    YOU CAN SWITCH TO THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK NOW

Looking at the patch notes they made a TON of great changes. The Cyan Wisp line is more visible now, you can turn off motion blur, you can watch the cutscenes in full screen now, and more. I have to commend the effort they're making in these patches.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

[​IMG]

Here you go.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

So I did some looking, apparently there's now only a few issues to patch out:
    • Sonic's model lightning issues
    • no SFX/music separation
    • the Starlight Carnival startup glitch from Act 3
    • music compression/mono

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

How is this still a thing?

I'm pleased this game is getting patched, but it really was released in a shameful state. Are the menus any faster post patch? Cause that was another problem that should have just been totally unacceptable. There are still other problems with this game too, like how cheaply and nastily tacked on the Jade Wisp and Metal Sonic are. It's still not a particularly good quality product.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

It doesn't affect gameplay, so I assume they're prioritizing core gameplay issues like glitches over animation issues. It's annoying and jarring as all hell, don't get me wrong - but at the end of the day it's just a visual gaffe, it's more important to fix how it plays rather than how it looks.

I haven't checked if the menus were fixed yet. I think they were improved with the last patch but not 100% resolved.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Has the "hot singles in your area" Metal Sonic pop-up improved it's transition? Or any of the menus for that matter?

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is probably the most patched Sonic game to date. If only SADX and SA2 Steam got similar support. Shame that animation is still naff at the beginning of Starlight Carnival Act 3.

But seriously they add more cosmetics before fixing that/the non moving eyes? Priorities people. But hey most of this patch is spot on. That remix toggle should have been there from the start but better late than never

15. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Why wasn't SADX patched again?

16. Turbohog

Turbohog

Because they didn't care

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  17. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Because it's a 23 year old game

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That seems like an overall minor oversight but weird regardless. That sucks the mod loader doesn't work now though, now my own QoL mods don't work (although this patch fixed some of those issues already, but there goes the Sonic animation fixes, Marza skin, and the Unleashed Boost for now)

EDIT: I stand corrected. The mod loader doesn't work but many of the mods themselves still do. I dragged the contents of the mod folder into the SonicColorsUltimate content folder and sure enough, Marza Sonic, Unleashed Boost, and the animation fixes work again. That being said idk how to get the more complicated mods to work, like debug or the lighting mods. But at least Sonic doesn't look as dumb for now, well on my end.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Hey, the new patch restores the original boss music!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List