don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Flare

Flare

True, though not sure if higher res screenshots of the opening scene exists. (As the game and artwork are as expected inconsistent) as I believe Blur Studios had production imagery of a much furrier version.

… but there is more definition in the fur texture there. You sort of know how it would feel if you touched it. I like to think short hair cat

And the current design does have texture to imply fur of some description. I just think it could use an upgrade cause it looks a bit plasticky compared to other textures they use on shoes and gloves etc
    577DE733-E997-47E9-BA27-3E8CDE7435B5.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. Eh, this game doesn't really look too different from the stuff they were pulling off in the 2000's era, but given where I'm at, I know this place hated that era for the most part so *Shrug*

I do admit, the environment IS lacking a distinct Sonic flair.

3. I think Sonic Runners' Sonic render is still my favorite.

Anyway, I'm more worried if they will make Sonic expressive on in-game cutscenes. The onlu games I remember Sonic being expressive was on Sonic Riders, Sonic Boom and Sonic Unleashed a bit.

4. Frostav

Frostav

Oh wow this actually look really cool (but that may just be my inner furry speaking). I wish the characters had more prominent fur (Knux' cgi model in the upcoming movie looks EXCELLENT) but I don't think they'll ever go for that in the games sadly

Granted I'd be fine with the male characters getting clothes (that classic animation thing of the male characters not having clothes but the female ones have is just...really really goddamn weird-looking in today's day and age) but that's NEVER happening lmao so I'm pretty out there compared to most fans

[​IMG]
    JESUS THIS LOOKS SO GOOD SEGA PLEASE

Seriously though I think the modern design needs a refresh but it's somehow lasted this long so I doubt that it ever will get one. Sonic (actually, mobians in general) looks amazing in 2D art but a bit weird in 3D and I dunno how Sonic Team themselves haven't noticed it.

5. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I know I might be splitting hairs here (no pun intended), but for Sonic and Knuckles, shouldn't it be spines or quills instead of fur?

6. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Amy really hasn't been all that significantly more irrelevant than any other of Sonic's friends really. In fact, I'd ague she has had more presence and relevance than even Knuckles in the last decade save for him being resistance leader in Forces I guess. She was in Unleashed while he was not, and was more involved in Lost World compared to him if anything.
    All that said, I don't know why any of this would really factor. It is odd that the subs would list her while Sonic's VA also announcing it is Amy specifically, only for both things to be redacted without a word, as if trying to hide info we weren't supposed to know. It would be odd for Junichi to just randomly pull such a thing out of thin air when he did voicework for the game and would, at least to our expectation, know who voices what and what character.
    Course, it could all be a nothing burger, but I find it weird to jump straight to treating it as an open shut case of it just being some error.

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Considering how it's styled and shaped for every Sonic character, it's basically just anime haircuts. There's no real reason that Rouge or Cream or even Tails couldn't just have their hair in the same shape as Sonic's, or at least the same as this guy if you're not willing to go as far as growing it out.

I mean, how else could an echidna somehow tame his quills into dreadlocks?

8. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member

Honestly this is kinda the point I'm trying to get at. Sonic characters have essentially stylized hair rather than realistic quills or fur. We get a subtle hint of that in the current model which is more than enough in my opinion.

Lest we remember the monstrosity that was the early design if the movie... One of that design's many flaws was the sheer amount of quill detail it had, which kinda bothers me to a much lesser extent with the current design and the odd fur he has...

9. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    at the risk of slightly veering off-topic I kinda wanna come back to this point because Crash is probably the main reason why I have such a strong dislike of fur being added to cartoonish characters lol

Crash N. Sane Trilogy is probably the best example of taking cute and endearing character designs and making them as ugly as possible while also trying to give them realistic fur at the same time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not a single thing was gained from adding fur to Crash imo.
    upload_2021-12-13_12-21-18.jpeg
    Crash 4 is a step more in the right direction by focusing less on adding extreme amounts of fur and more on the actual model itself.

10. Taylor

Taylor

The female voice in the trailer is certainly Amy. Three different official sources say its her, there can't be that many errors happening at once. None of the actual leaks mentions a ghost girl or any new character. Again, the 4chan post that mentioned a ghost girl was piggybacking off an earlier, real leak. That's extremely common to do on 4chan.

That being said, I do find it amusing how this game of telephone has lead to people thinking Amy has died/became a ghost and there's even fanart of it now :V

11. Stranger

Stranger

What are these three official sources? It's not official, but the closest thing I've seen to an authoritative source is Junichi Kanemaru's tweet, and even that's not definitive so far as we can currently say. Otherwise, I only know about the Xbox subtitles, which don't exist on any other version of the video, have no indication of being provided by Sega, and differ with the subtitles presented in their weekly round-up both in reference to Amy and wording. If these are two of the sources you had in mind, what's the third?

12. Flare

Flare

I agree! It can be done badly and can be done subtly. That's really the point I am trying to make and show. I think there is experimentation that I hope is happening somewhere in Sonic Team...

Crash 4 still has fur, its much more subtle but its there. And it also is more subtle cause of that stylized art direction. I would love Sonic to embrace that... but well he does so many different styles anyway so maybe one day.

My point is more, the current texture that Sonic's blue has is bad. I am not saying it needs to be extra fluffy, add weight, or distract. In fact his texture should almost disappear when he's not close to the camera or in CGI renders.

But look at Forces artwork. The blue looks like a brush stroke in blue acrylic paint. It's almost veiny. But apparently thats good? Haha.

Though I don't think the realistic environments help with this discussion, which considering all we got from the Trailer was mainly how it will look I'd say its on topic haha.

But yeah, more Crash 4... less Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze fur.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I like how because we know little about this game we're just arguing about whether Sonic has fur or not.

14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    are we arguing? I don't think anyone's arguing at all lmao

I do think it's pretty interesting to see the ideas people have about how Sonic's design could be re-adjusted to fit a realistic environment. No one is necessarily wrong here.

God knows it's probably gonna be a looong wait until we actually see footage of Sonic running around in this environment

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Ian Flynn talked about being writer of Sonic Frontiers, right at the beginning of the episode. Not very informative, due to legal reasons, but nice nonetheless.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  16. Taylor

Taylor

I thought the Playstation subtitles said it too, but I was wrong. Junichi letting it slip is a very strong sign, as VAs have been known to accidentally let stuff slip before and there's no way he could be misinformed since he's voicing Sonic itself.

Also, JPN fans on Twitter are largely assuming it's Amy too, since they're going off the JPN voice (which sounds like Amy's) and they aren't influenced by the bogus ghost girl "leak".

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I know there are a whole host of obvious reasons why it won't happen for a good long time, assuming it ever does, but I'd be fascinated to hear Ian talk about his experience in writing for this game, because it must surely be a whole different ballpark to writing the comics where he delivers his pitch and writes his script then gets feedback from SEGA. From what little he's said, these seems to be a far more collaborative process and I'm wondering how much more freedom he's had to properly shape the story of the game and who he's been collaborating on it with.

Further, he does talk about how the game won't have any effect on the book in the short term, but I wouldn't be surprised if Evan Stanley has been let in on things here and there so she can steer the overarching plot of the book to a place where Frontiers can be easily incorporated once it comes out.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So Amy is finally using her psychic powers for something then? Cool lol

19. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Is this a reference that's going over my head or...?

20. Stranger

Stranger

For the sake of more directly relevant conversation, what do you think the significance of the following header text might be?

Frontiers.PNG
    I doubt it's referential of the transition from stages to the open world format, as we get the standard Sonic nomenclature used for that purpose right below in what's called "open-zone freedom". What else seems likely? Perhaps something of narrative significance? More dimensional shenanigans? Does the digital-theming of Sonic's boost raise any relevant suspicions?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List