don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'd be perfectly happy for it to be some new character, I just don't know how to square that with the subtitles saying "Amy" and the JP voice, as clear as I can tell, sounds a helluva lot like Katawa. It's not like whoever did the subs just took a guess and said "huh must be Amy or something", right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Flare

Flare

True though subtitles can be wrong. Not just this specifically but other media, tv shows etc it is often a forgotten or lower in quality. (Which sucks for multiple reasons)

But it is kinda all speculation. I’ve seen people think it’s,
    - new character
    - ghost girl
    - Amy with new voice
    - Amy with current voice
    - Tails

so I wouldn’t say there is a definite answer to this until Sega answer it.

3. Stranger

Stranger

Considering those particular subs don't exist on any other version of the video besides the Xbox one, let alone any of the official Sega/Sonic social media platforms and channels, I wouldn't at all be surprised if that were the case. In fact, the possibility seems especially reasonable when also keeping in mind that there were only two brief lines to transcribe -lines that are sandwiched between two instances of "[XBOX SOUND]".

[​IMG]

For this particular case, I wouldn't lean on the subtitles in particular as reinforcing anything or being indicative of who the voice actually is. As for the Japanese VA portion of things, I'd say that there's a bit more potential weight to work with there, though there's also some speculative wiggle room.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    for what it's worth, the Xbox channel released a weekly roundup video and amended the subtitles to a non-specific "Ghostly voice"
    upload_2021-12-12_12-47-42.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Could be to avoid spoilers. Didn't Amy's JP voice actor Tweet about the trailer before deleting said Tweet? We know through official sources that Sonic is going to be saving his friends so I reckon they're acting as batteries for the titans he seems to be fighting and SEGA simply doesn't want us to know that yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Stranger

Stranger

Not that I know of. In this case, it was Junichi Kanemaru, the Japanese VA of Sonic. The claim of it being Amy's JP VA seems to have been a misread of Ayu's post earlier in the thread -relevant portion below- by SSF1991 in his own tweet. That or it was at least vaguely worded in a way that can be taken to imply that.
    Considering this isn't actually Amy's VA making the claim, the fact that we don't know when recordings occurred (if they have proper outside of small preliminary tidbits), and that we don't even know if the recordings are done collectively, the matter is still vague and could just be a case of a coworker recognizing the work of a fellow as opposed to speaking from authority on their actual role.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I just can't... It really sounds nothing like Tails nor is it deep at all.

Obviously the voice is supposed to sound mysterious to us. SEGA have succeeded on that front.

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The English voice sounds like it's a girl character, and nothing like Colleen's Tails, while the Japanese trailer clearly has Amy's voice. Not sure how this is even an argument at this point.

Also, isn't it safe to assume that it wouldn't be Cindy Robinson? I think every other voice actor who is returning after the weird recast scare has actually announced that they aren't leaving the series, whereas she hasn't said anything since then as far as I'm aware. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I do think it sounds rather like Cindy Robinson, but then maybe that's simply me hearing what I expect to hear, given how much has been done to the audio in post. For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind having Lisa Ortiz back in the role if Robinson is gone.

10. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    That fanart is proof that an intensive redesign isn't needed at all. Just give him fur. It doesn't have to be fluffy, either.
    If by implied you mean barely visible lines on a model that's still textured to look like plastic, sure. Even the low-res graphic texture in Sonic Adventure implied more visible fur than that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Well to be fair, Amy hasn't been in any recent content for Cindy to voice her. The last time Cindy voiced Amy was in Team Sonic Racing.

12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    [​IMG]

do you really genuinely think this looks... good...? just shoddily adding fur to Sonic's existing model with no real thought about how it should actually work? sorry but I just can't get into it!

I guess we just have different tastes here. I'd love to see Sonic pushed towards stylization instead of realization.

I don't get how any Sonic fan could watch the trailer for Across the Spider-Verse and not immediately want a Sonic game/movie with surreal stylized out of this world visuals like that lol
    [​IMG]
    You would really be able to play to the strengths of Sonic's design in a framework like this, instead of bastardizing it into something it was never supposed to be in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. Flare

Flare

No haha

but if they added some texture into it I don’t think it would be as controversial as some think. Look at Mario Odyssey… he has luxurious strands of hair but they made sure it still had the shape we recognised and didn’t look out of place.

It just feels odd that most of the things on Sonic, his gloves, his socks, his shoes are all highly textured. You know what they would feel or even sound like if you tapped them.

What does his actual blue spikes feel like? They still look very much like a acrylic paint strokes and I think it’s starting to stand out against the environment’s art direction they are taking with Frontiers.

That said it’s purely based on the direction they want to go in, I like the modern cartooney look he has in his CGI model (worked well imo in Lost World)

Banjo, Crash, Conker, all have incorporated a fur like texture into their designs and I don’t think it’s ruined their aesthetic. (even Adventure had that attempt of fur which they abandoned for plastic ha)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I agree although I find it funny just how much that clip there reminds me of Terminal Velocity from Sonic Colors

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  15. arc

arc

Like Flare said, I think giving Sonic more apparent fur would be a good idea. However, the way it’s been done in the fan image makes me think the fur would need stylization on par with the rest of his highly-stylized design. As is, it’s almost like they put a bunch of hyper realistic, super short body hair on Mario’s body. I mean, yeah, it’s more cohesive with the level of detail on the rest of his model, but...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here’s a quick thing I slapped together to explain what I mean.

16. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I hate that fan art image, but he definitely needs some more texture, and I do think it could be done just fine if the individual quills are small and subtle enough. I'd also like for his fingers to not be so bulbous, since they've looked so awkward since Unleashed. I get they were trying to go for that exaggerated look that Uekawa had, but it just doesn't work in 3D.

[​IMG]

17. Yeah, I'm personally pretty surprised we haven't gone in this direction for a Sonic release. Both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (particularly 1) had such stylised and unique visuals that IMO look way more appealing than the pseudo-realistic aesthetics the series has pursued since Adventure 1. Not only would it look better, more consistent with the characters' design ethos, and stand out from other games, but it would perform better on hardware such as the Switch.

I'm glad the industry as a whole has largely abandoned the pursuit of "realism" than was so prevalent in the 6th/7th generations of games in favour of presenting a unique art direction. 2D Sonic has such a rich history of super stylish and surreal visuals, and the only time we've gotten to experience them recently in 3D have been the special stages in Mania. Hopefully the bonus digital stages or w/e the leak mentioned incorporate some of that design philosophy.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    upload_2021-12-12_21-39-32.png
    Figured I should throw my hat in the ring. Personally I'm not a fan of how you shortened his spikes and added some in places, so here's my attempt to demonstrate a tweak to Sonic's design that follows the Mario Odyssey philosophy of just adding that bit more detail. Granted, there's not really many places were this ends up taking effect on Sonic's design due to how simple it is, and I do think I made him a little too fuzzy in places, but I do think they should start adding some stray hair follicles to the guy, and here I also added some more colour variance across the border to heighten colour contrast and the visibility of the fur texture.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Ahh, we're discussing the merits of Sonic 4 and editing the Unleashed render. Is it 2009 again already, Retro? ;)

[​IMG]

20. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I was only 11 then so it didn’t happen, clearly. :v