don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s more likely that the person putting together the survey just picked that art because they thought it looked good.

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Calling it now. Chao Garden MMO/100 person person chao karate battle royale

3. arc

arc

Departing from the current discussion I know, but I really hope SEGA doesn’t make the Switch version a cloud-only game. I think a lot of people would see the cloud-only tag, think “Really? Sonic can’t run on Switch?”, and balk at the purchase; the brand doesn’t have the luxury to appear even a little unoptimized.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Wow, this has to be the earliest leak of Frontiers so far, isn't it? I imagine this flew under the radar for so long since it didn't have the "Rangers" working title like the playtester leaks did; but given that this also talks about having an open world design, I'm surprised this didn't pick up traction like the other leaks did when Frontiers was first revealed.

The fact that the game was mentioned to be in development for Switch this early (to the point the surveyee floated the possibility of it being a Switch exclusive) also intrigues me. Wonder if this means it is indeed the lead development platform after all. Though given the level of fidelity of the graphics shown in the trailer, I have my doubts.

Oh, and the fact that this turned out to be legit despite the use of fanart (leading to that one reply calling the whole thing off as BS) is plain hysterical.

And yay, Mario Odyssey 2!

5. Classic Sonic is mentioned in that leak :/

Not sure how I feel about that.

6. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It's only mentioned in a separate game proposal featuring online multiplayer. Not the one that lines up with Frontiers.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Lol don't act like you wouldn't play the shit out of that. I'm not even into Chao like that and I would.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Chao are overrated and don't need to come back *drops mic*

Anyway, that 2019 leak. Very interesting. Gives us a good idea of what to expect from the game - four islands to explore, combat system with skill tree, and big bosses. Combine that with the Unleashed/Generations-style cyberspace levels mentioned in various leaks and we could have a pretty dang cool game on our hands. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Well this was unexpected. It literally namedrops "Starfall Islands", that is almost impossible to guess. This is a very interesting development.

Now I have even more reason to be optimistic lol

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If the game does end up having online, I honestly do hope it’s something more akin to the Chao ideas mentioned further up the thread rather than anything that uses the core gameplay of the open world. Breath of the Wild is a superb single player game and if Frontiers is Sonic’s answer to that, I don’t want to see marred by shoehorning in an online mode, unless it’s akin to Mario Odyssey’s Koopa Freerunning races where you’re competing for a specific goal point. A battle royale Sonic in this format just doesn’t sound appealing to me.

11. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

I'm more interested in the idea of playing as characters other than Sonic. Ill be honest in saying I'm not particularly buzzed my the idea of "open world Sonic Game" the way other people are, but the idea of playing through those environments with other characters does sound appealing, especially since, quite frankly, characters like Knuckles, Tails and even Amy have move sets that I feel lend themselves better to that kind of thing. Especially Knuckles.

Eh, I kiiiinda agree? I actually sunk my fair share of hours into it back in the day, and I greatly respect it's contribution to the game sit was featured in and what it can bring to a new game, but I feel a lot of its appeal would be lost on me now. I just don't have the patience for that kind of thing in this day and age. It would take an amazing main game and tons of additions to a chao garden to really get me interested in it again. Its the kind of thing I feel is really only truly working on all cylinders when you are a kid playing it over the course of a long period of time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I bet it will be only Sonic playable.

13. Well there is a chance for DLC, they did that for Shadow in Forces.

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

I really hope they don't go with the online multiplayer route
    I can't really speak for what Sonic Team was thinking at the beginning of the game's conception, but usually people that put those surveys/focus groups together just go on Google images and just get whatever they need from there.

Someone probably told the person that this was Sonic in a realistic setting and get an image for that, searched Google for "realistic Sonic the hedgehog" and just liked that one enough.

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

So I rewatched the english trailer and honestly... that voice kinda sounds like Colleen O’Shaughnessy’s Tails. Anyone else hear this or am I crazy? Maybe Tails and Amy are both trapped in cyberspace and for some reason Sega of America had Tails speak instead of Amy. Or I’m wrong and it’s Amy’s new voice actress or a new character.

16. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

I just heard a distorted Cindy personally.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Flare

Flare

Yeah, I assumed it was Tails in another dimension. The distortion to their voice because they are not physically in the world with him for whatever reason as it coincided with the pink dimension shifting effect Sonic boosts into.

But then I never had read the leaks about a ghost girl. So maybe prior knowledge plays into interpretation of the trailer.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Definitely, 100% does not sound anything like Tails. I really don't know hour people are hearing that. It sounds feminine and not unlike Cindy Robinson's Amy, but Robinson announced that she was leaving the role back when Smith announced that he was leaving the role of Sonic. She could be back or it could be be a new actress. Either way, it sounds like Amy and the Xbox trailer says that it's Amy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Flare

Flare

I don’t know how people hear Amy. The voice sounds much deeper than feminine.

but… hearing can be a funny human thing... so I 100% won’t judge what others are hearing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I just don't know why it would be Amy. Why is Sonic hearing a distorted Amy voice when he's being chased by a dangerous enemy? If its true it raises a lot of questions, especially considering how irrelevant she's been in recent games.

That's why I think it's the ghost girl or some other new character. That the trailer has a reference to her means she must be a significant character in the game.