don't click here

Live-action Sonic show supposedly in development

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    That's...certainly a thing.
    Live-action Sonic doesn't sound too appealing to me, but if they use the movie cast I might give it a watch. That-band aid was already ripped when I watched it so I might as well go along for the ride lol

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    GiantFreakingRobot isn't a trustworthy source. A lot of their "scoops" are just blatant assumptions and made-up rumors, and turn out to be false more often than not. This looks like just another case of baseless gossip.

Of course, the show could end up being real, but given the site's bad track record I wouldn't place much hope in it.

EDIT: here's a source reliability tier list for movie/TV scoops if anyone's interested. GiantFreakingRobot is in Tier 5: Highly Unreliable and Banned Sources.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Thank you for this, I wasn't aware but given this is the only source I've seen so far thats why I said "supposedly." Could be bullshit, sounds like a weird idea, so for now it's a rumor.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Even if it is true, I'm not getting Paramount+ just for Sonic.

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Oh, I never said I was either ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I already have Paramount Plus so I'll let you all know how this abortion goes if it actually ends up existing :eng99:

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This had better be false, it sounds like a fucking trash fire.

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Can’t help but feel like we’ve said that a lot about Sonic over the years lol

10. Wildcat

Wildcat

I’m anti-all-these-streaming-services but I would totally pay for Paramount + for Sonic.

Shut up and take my money...if its real. Haha.

11. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Like Joebro64 said, this is most likely fake.

If it is real, then I don't get why they think live-action is the way to go for Sonic. This character belongs in a fully animated world.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

As with most rumours, I've no reason to believe that this is real or fake. I'm not even familiar with GFR and their reputation regarding leaks. Literally zero opinion on the rumour.

And with that, I don't think that I'll give this a second thought unless it's confirmed legit. I'm too old for the rumour mill. It's hard enough finding the will to keep up with the Rangers/Frontiers rumours, and that's something that I expect to care about.

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Yeah, I haven't been contributing to the Sonic Frontiers thread because I think it's very shaky whether we really know anything or not. It's just not worth getting hyped up over something so ethereal.

And that's combined with the fact I have absolutely no faith in anyone but EveningStar to do anything Sonic related at the moment.

I've told my friends a few times that I think Sonic has actually already died down in many ways, it's just that the franchise has become largely irrelevant rather than exploding spectacularly. If it wasn't for the movie I think it would be even more niche than it already is.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    More and more people show interest in video games, and the consequence is that video games need to be able to cater to a growing number of audiences. But the big companies do a terrible job at this. It's not just Sonic. It's the whole industry.

15. MH MD

MH MD

there is a stark difference between the quality of thing, and how "niche" it actually is, no, sonic is not irrelevant or niche yet, otherwise Mania wouldn't have sold that much, Forces -as lacking as it was- wouldn't be one of the most downloaded PS plus games ever , the movie wouldn't be one of the most successful videogames ever

That's without delving into like how the mobile games still mega successful, how the anniversary orchestra video on youtube is close 3 MILLION VIEWS...things like that

Sonic is still the most profitable SEGA franchise, even with them having other successful franchises like persona and yakuza,sonic still sells better, last year the Sonic series managed to sell 4.4 Million WITHOUT AN ACTUAL NEW GAME

I get it, the lack of games -and quality- can paint things in a certain light, going like 5 years without an actual main game is brutal and make people feel like the series is dead and niche , but once there is an actual content, things get better again, if for example the next main game was actually great and amazing, even more people would play and buy it and it will be popular...you know...just like Mania

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I think Sonic is definitely still a relevant character, or at least he has potential to stay relevant.

Say what you will about how SEGA have handled the franchise, they were smart to branch out into non-gaming media. This helps Sonic be relevant to more than just a gaming audience and I'm sure that will continue with the Sonic Prime series.

Take a character like Crash Bandicoot for example, I love Crash and was playing his games before I ever heard of Sonic, but I feel like this is a character who has kinda become niche. He had a renaissance from 2017-2020 but ultimately continues to only be relevant to a selection of gamers because Crash never really branched out to non-gaming related media.

I think Sonic will always continue to be known in some sense by the general public.

17. MH MD

MH MD

Crash is an interesting case, it didn't attempt to grow itself to the general public even in it's height days in 90s -somehow no attempt at cartoon or anything, when like every 90s mascot had one- , but when Crash returned in 2017, it was actually super successful, despite being dormant for basically a whole decade, with no new content whatsoever, it was really a bleak time for the fans, series was basically dead, even Sonic in it's worst days never had a period like that.

But the moment it returned, it was successful no problem, this only shows you how people were just waiting for content,and once it was available it was one of the most successful games in it's year, the audience were always there, they just wanted new content, and shouldn't be neglected like they were

same with sonic, lack of main games for now doesn't mean the audience isn't there, they are just waiting, but ultimately, Sonic is in a better place than Crash, cause it's still living in various forms, like comics, TV shows, mobile games, spin offs, movies etc. , and you can be 100% sure that it won't die to make room for CoD development, like activison is doing with Crash now for example

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wouldn't go that far, Sega's heart is clearly elsewhere game development wise, how many Yakuza games have we gotten lately compared to Sonic? And the most recent Sonic game was a port of an 11 year old game made by a 3rd party studio.

19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    This would actually be more believable if Paramount just planned tossing one movie after another, since some movies are now like tv series (MCU, fast & furious), but MCU also has tv series now, so who knows. Either way, the only reason to discuss anything that comes from a rumour here is when we debate the concept brought by that rumour, because rumours themselves are useless.

20. Because Sega knows Sonic will sell regardless of the quality due to his name and nothing more. Its rather telling that Sonic is still their highest selling IP despite the lack of content in recent years outside of collabs and mobile game events.

Honestly, Sonic is such a frustrating series to follow. And this is gonna sound so stereotypically nerdy but I gotta say it. Because it feels like the shit I want from the series isn't what the mainstream wants.

I have certain expectations about this series but most adults just want something that will keep their kids distracted for a few hours. Because my group are a minority in comparison to the latter, we're more or less disregarded as Sega chase after the latest trend to appeal to kids.

This is very "I hate normies" but fuck man, I hate seeing this happen to shit I like all for the sake of a dollar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.