don't click here

'Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia', Out Now

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Only for viewing, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    And since we are talking about games that give you food ... let's not forget Surfer ... it gave you packs of ''Milky'' condensed milk candy manufactured by Japanese food company Fujiya (不二家) ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Marine gets her powers from the Neptune Stones that appeared in Blaze CD, that game where Metal Blaze kidnaps Big and the real Blaze has to rescue him. :V

3. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I remember Ian stating, that one character gets renamed, or something like that. Who got the name change?

4. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    we don't know yet, we only know of (at most) two people that own the book right now, it's not slated to release until at least December

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked Ian a question on his Live Q&A last night about the officiality/canonicity of the contents of the book. I got an answer! Check the 2:08:35 mark on the video to get a better idea of how the book was vetted and by who.

Curiously enough, at 1:58:40 in the same video, a question about who owns Shade is asked to which Ian effectively affirms that Sega does own Shade and the rest of the characters from Sonic Chronicles, if they're not also owned by Bioware/EA.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I wonder if the name change was Nack/Fang. In the 30th Anniversary IDW special, they call him Fang. A minor, semantics kind of change, but still a change for the West.

And this may be old news, but when I ordered a copy yesterday (I had completely forgotten about it until it came back up recently) the price had dropped from $50 to $35 USD.

6. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

Fang has been his name outside of Japan since Sonic Drift 2 at latest, and plenty of fans have known this way before the special, so it's probably not that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Linkabel

Linkabel

Following up on this, here are some pics of the SegaSonic Cotton Candy Scramble in the catalog:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's on the Amusement Machine Guide 1994, there's a 1993 catalog on ebay right now but I'll keep checking to see if I can find one and scan it.

Edit: Forgot to add the source on it. The Game Show on Instagram.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    In the Forces tie-in comics, Eggman happens upon the Phantom Ruby in a desert or something and then works to refine it. My interpretation is that the gem does originate in the past, so the one we see in Mania is the original, and when it brings Classic Sonic to the future at the end of that game, it simply deposited itself a few months earlier, which gave Eggman time to study the gem and utilise its power.

9. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So apparently the book’s official release date is today (December 7th).. was just wondering if any one has picked it up and/or gotten to read through some of it?

10. Pengi

Pengi

This art appears in the Sonic 2 section of the Encyclo-speed-ia:

[​IMG]

I thought this was never-before-seen art, but after reverse Google image searching it, it turns out that it was on the Sonic GX Wiki, under the filename "Recky.png": https://sonic-gx.fandom.com/wiki/Micky?direction=next&oldid=5514

Sonic GX is an obscure wiki that doesn't hold itself to high standards, and uses a mix of official art and fan art.

The wiki gives this URL as a source for the image: http://retroowl.deviantart.com/

As you can see, RetroOwl's DeviantArt has since been deactivated. Unfortunately, not much of it has been saved by the Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20160511143153/http://retroowl.deviantart.com/

Does anyone know who RetroOwl is, and if this is their fan art? Or if it's official art that they posted on their DeviantArt? Or a cross-post of someone else's art?

Has anyone seen this art elsewhere, can anyone confirm that this is official art?

EDIT: This page has been saved by the Wayback Machine, though unfortunately the image hasn't: https://web.archive.org/web/2015103...rt/Mr-Unknown-from-Mystic-Cave-Zone-410815093

This is the page for the "big piece" the artist mentioned (no image is archived): https://web.archive.org/web/2015102...wl.deviantart.com/art/Small-animals-420732600

So it seems like this is fan art. :/

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Here's a thread with some thoughts I had.

If anyone has any questions I can try to answer it. Like I said, your mileage may vary on how much you know about Sonic history.

It's not without its gaffes, but it's still a pretty cool item to own.

Well, that's a shame that it has fan art in it. :colbert:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Now it is an official fanart.

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I guess this gets to join the other esteemed pieces in the "times Sonic officially used fanart" hall of fame. :oldbie:

I'm curious if that's the only instance of such in this book...

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Too bad the book added nothing new in areas like trivias, artworks, concepts, lore or storyline.

Oh well, at least maybe someone can scan the renders of which only small/LQ variants exist.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So it looks like there’s no development stories from Sonic Team about any games right? I was also hoping that maybe there would be a brief mention of the prototypes that were unearthed for Sonic 3 and Sonic 1 but that’s probably unlikely

16. Linkabel

Linkabel

Yep, no development stories or anything about prototypes in the book.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  17. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

there’s still new information through names given to badniks, so that will be needed for the wiki

18. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    At least the name "Micky" is now official.

19. _Sidle

_Sidle

They were called "Micky" in Mania's files, so it's neat that it stuck.

20. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I was actually aware of that... so really, by "official", I mean "officially acknowledged by Sega".