don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Wakko packs the way the snacks while Bill Clinton plays the sax
    it's Animaniacs Animanium (アニマニウム)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://web.archive.org/web/20040803032552/http://sega.jp/animanium/index.html

For a very brief period in history, Sega published actual development software. Or this one piece of animation software that is barely documented online. "Inverse kinematics" is coming up a lot - not sure if that's a unique selling point for 2001/2/3/4 (real time in games maybe), but hey, it's a thing. A thing whose support was pulled entirely in 2008 and hasn't been mentioned since.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    It all seems to have been just one part of a new business strategy for the company, ultimately forgotten about by both public consciousness and Sega itself in the midst of the post-Dreamcast rubble. Under it, they apparently called to diversify into six new business areas outside of home consoles, all based on previous successful projects -

"VR-TECH application Business" (Joypolis attraction technology used for other purposes)
    "Video / Music Business" (applying Animanium and Fish Life to different content)
    "Edutainment Business" (Educational software/toys)
    "Cross-industry support Business" (collaborations with Kura Sushi, McDonalds, etc)
    "Character / Talent Property Business" (Licenced works, e.g. Morning Musume)
    "NEW ARCADE Business" (Business tie-ups with Namco and Sony)

All of which were operating out of the "New Business Headquarters". Some were more successful than others, most are long gone, none contributed to Sega's hoped sales of 10 billion yen and profit margin of 15% within three years.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That McDonalds one is interesting - I first saw McDonalds introduce those interactive touch-screen things for kids a few years ago, but turns out Sega did the first ones back in 2001. They must have been what, 10, 15 years ahead of the curve?

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • List
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Skimming over some of the backlog:

[​IMG]

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I was going through, trying to find homes for all the unused guff (spoilers: it'll never happen) and I rediscovered one of the many press releases I'd mirrored:

https://segaretro.org/File:PressRelease_JP_2005-03-07_1.pdf

I understand Japanese phones a little better now. And they sure make things difficult!

[​IMG]

This is the N700i from 2005. It's an i-mode 70x series phone (the cost-reduced 90x series) from NEC - not top-end, but probably decent for its day (and you could buy replacement covers, back when that was a thing). It looks like a deal was made to pre-install a version of Puyo Puyo Fever onto this specific handset. And so

[​IMG]

Puyo Puyo Fever N, a version of the game that only came with this specific phone when it launched. Add it to the collection of incredibly obscure Puyo Puyo releases that won't have been archived and so will have almost certainly been lost to time. Maybe. 2005 isn't that long ago - there's probably a few N700is knocking around.

• List
  8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A secret sequel to Columns:

[​IMG]

Jewelpet Kira Kira Mahou no Housekibako (ジュエルペット キラキラ魔法の宝石箱)

Jewelpet is a Sega Toys thing aimed at little Japanese girls. I can't bring myself to get invested in this, not least because this is also a card game:

[​IMG]

These machines operated from 2009-2011. This is technically the most recent Columns game to be made by Sega (they've re-released older games since, but nothing "new" has come out).

• List
  9. NaoyaShinota

NaoyaShinota

was PuyoPuyo Fever DX not released on that day? I currently have PuyoPuyoDX and PuyoPuyo Fever DX on my P900iV

10. NaoyaShinota

NaoyaShinota

it’s nice to see people talking about this.
    PuyoPuyo does come preinstalled on AU phones. They also come preinstalled on Docomo but for now here is a list of phones that have preinstalled PuyoPuyo games. Note that these are demos and not the full game as far as I know. But hope this helps any PuyoPuyo fan looking for these rare games.

AU cell phones

W54SA

Pg 232 PuyoPuyo Fever DX (Demo)

https://www.au.com/content/dam/au-com/static/designs/app/publish/torisetsu/pdf/w54sa_torisetsu.pdf

X-RAY (PuyoPuyo Fever DX)

SH004 (PuyoPuyo Fever DX)

SH001 (PuyoPuyo Fever DX

S002 (Puyo Puyo)

W62K (PuyoPuyo Fever DX)

W52SH (PuyoPuyo DX)

W51SH (PuyoPuyo)

• List
  11. NaoyaShinota

NaoyaShinota

Also here is proof that PuyoPuyo DX and PuyoPuyo Fever DX has been found and extraction methods are being looked into. But it’s not easy. Device is P900iV.

Attached Files:

• List
  12. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    • List
  13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It all helps :)

Anyway today in "obscure devices Sega published games for"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a "Plus e" (プラスe) terminal that Japanese restaurants or similar businesses might have installed in the early 2000s. Order your food through a touch screen... and also play games!

http://sega.jp/release/nr020415_1.html

Between Hitmaker and Overworks, a fair number of games were released for the thing:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20041206025801/http://www.hitmaker.co.jp/game/PLUSe/home.html
    https://web.archive.org/web/20021203204859/http://www.o-works.co.jp:80/owshp/plus_e.html

Currently I can't even find a decent screenshot of a Plus e, so game preservation seems unlikely.

• List
  14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    When translations go wrong.

[​IMG]

ケータイピング・オブ・ザ・デッド

Look it's The House of the Dead, but for mobile phones, and it's a bit like The Typing of the Dead, but not quite and what is this??

According to Google translate, it's "Kētaipingu Obu za deddo", which literally translates to "Keitai Ping of the Dead". Except it doesn't. Except it sorta does.

This had me confused for a few minutes. What's a "Keitai Ping". Well a quick image search leads you with this delightful screenshot:

[​IMG]
    "The K-Typing of the Dead". Also this is a Korean version, which is terrifying. And it has Hyundai, former Nintendo distributor (and name pronounced differently depending on territory (look it up!)), thrown in for good measure.

But why the "K"? "Keitai" (ケータイ) "kay-tie" is a word the Japanese use(d?) for mobile phone. So they're having some fun with the wording here and it doesn't translate at all in English. "K-Typing" ,"Keitai Ping" or "Keityping" might all be valid and it only makes sense if you know that "keitai" means phone. And even the Japanese Wikipedia doesn't want to tell you that directly.

• List
  15. Does anyone know what this press release might have been referring to?

CodeFire Announces Multi-Platform Original Title Agreement with Sega

The press release is quite light on details, with the one major point being that it was one of the first agreements for a multiplatform game following Sega becoming a third-party publisher. CodeFire was responsible for the GBA version of Sega Smash Pack and the Palm version of Sega Swirl, neither of which match the description of "Multi-Platform Original Title".

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Seeing an IC die in the extracted textures of Power Sled is something I don't think I could have ever been prepared for...

chip_die.png

17. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    If what I've read about that game is true, in the fine tradition of other Sega racers with animals there is an easter egg in which you play as a penguin instead - any indication of that actually being in there?

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's probably Sega Swirl, or something deliberately vague. I'd hazard a guess that it's just telling investors "hey we're working with Sega" than giving concrete details.

19. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    There's a pair of eyes that might belong to a penguin. There are a hell of a lot of frogs, however.

• List
  20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    When Sega turned their AM divisions into stand-alone brands at the start of the millennium, you'd be forgiven for thinking it didn't make much of a difference. I mean, I quite like the idea of putting the studio centre stage so you're more inclined to follow the developer than a specific brand, but it didn't feel ike "independence" - they were all supporting the Dreamcast (and NAOMI) and were re-absorbed before managing to make a name for themselves.

But you can see some diversion in the mobile space. Some divisions go all-in on mobile development, others don't bother, and they don't all support the same platforms.

In short:

- WOW Entertainment is one of the first on mobile, then gets bored
    - Sega AM2 sees it as more of a service for relaying information, rather than a game platform in its own right
    - Hitmaker also releases a few games across the main platforms but may have stopped crediting itself?
    - Amusement Vision isn't bothered
    - Sega Rosso isn't bothered
    - Smilebit probably did a fair bit of psudo-game online/mobile stuff that isn't well documented - I'll check one day
    - Overworks releases tons of stuff for J-Phones through the Pocket Works portal, with Sakura Taisen Keitai Club doing Sakura Taisen things on all main platforms
    - Sonic Team has Sonic Cafe on i-mode, then expands to J-Phones and EZweb as the years go on. Its main money maker is Puyo Puyo which gets everwhere.
    - UGA puts all its money on J-Phones, launching the Ulala no Channel J portal. Then they're merged into Sonic Team.

• List