don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Indeed, but that would come after, since Sonic the Fighters was in the classic days and Sonic Adventure is after a holiday. Mecha Sonic Model no. 30?

Hm, I'd have said the Metal Sonic line is separate from the Mecha Sonic line, with Metal Sonic a perfect copy while Mecha Sonic is an attempt to expand on aspects to try and beat Sonic at his own game, but you raise a valid point...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Maybe not. Metal Sonic was in that same room and he is an old one. So that weird robot could be old as well and we just didn't see him in action.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm positive there is only one Metal Sonic. Wasn't that the reason the first Metal Sonic in Archie was renamed Shard and redesigned when Ian Flynn brought him back? Sega decreed that there is only one, so he had to change him into a separate character to be able to use him.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  4. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    This is probably another case of retroactive lore. Chaotix introduced a new model of Metal Sonic called Metal Sonic Kai and we know the status of that game in regards to canon. Not to mention Sonic 4 shows Eggman retrieving Metal from Little Planet.

5. Pengi

Pengi

Is there a video clip of this anywhere?

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

It would make sense if Rocket Metal was just another form of Metal Sonic because we only see him once and we fight Metal Sonic at the almost-end of the game.

7. _Sidle

_Sidle

Chaotix used the original Metal's CPU, 4 alliteratively had the whole thing revived and sent back to Mad Gear. It being the same one is made clear in both stories, so it would be retroactive lore even in retro times.
    Somewhat unrelatedly, Mania, which happens (before? instead of??) both of those games has two seemingly busted Metals in tubes, in addition to the one you're actively fighting.

upload_2021-11-16_3-55-14.png
    • previous shells from CD/Generations/TripleTrouble/Drift2?
    • vital pieces for running critical functions of the mini-Silver Sonic spawner?
    • stand-ins for the two other console series Robo/Mecha Sonics?
    • just menacing statues?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Sorry, no idea. I just read on the wiki.

Perhaps they're meant to imply time travel, to go with Stardust Speedway? Like, they're the same Metal Sonic but from timelines in which he was defeated?

9. Pengi

Pengi

Does anyone know what this is about?

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Is the Eggman machine thing at the center, a reference to Sonic OVA?

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    A great big ol' question mark since they keep flipping on if everything is canon or not?

Hey, perhaps those Metal Sonics are the missing Mecha Sonic Models X through Y? Variations on the base Mecha/Metal design, until Robotnik just collects the most 'successful' (read: intact) version? Just a little headcanon there.

Could be the Metal Sonics between Sonic the Hedgehog CD and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal are Mecha Sonic models
    "While Metal Sonic is never shown transforming directly into Rocket Metal during the game, he does transform into the same torpedo as a special move, lending credence to the premise that the two robots are indeed one and the same (together with the colour scheme and similarities to Neo Metal Sonic)."

He's never shown becoming Rocket Metal, only performing the same move. Considering they're, at the very least, both of the same type of robot, that's kind of anticipated.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

But when did Metal Sonic transform into that? Game, media, etc.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic the Fighters. There's a move both do where they spin horizontally and shoot forward.

Thinking about it, Sonic Generations also has that move. Little reference there?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Pengi

Pengi

Metal Sonic's M Bison style horizontal spin attack isn't a transformation into a torpedo. Certainly not "the same torpedo" as Rocket Metal, which implies that he turns into the rocket seen in the intro.

Does Rocket Metal even have that move? Does he transform into a torpedo? I've not been able to find any video footage of this.

It sounds like the wiki is either very wrong or very misleading.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I could've sworn I'd seen Rocket Metal gameplay showing it, but I might be mistaken as I can't find anything either.

Either way, we're probably gonna need to get someone to verify that.

I know Rocket Metal turns into Sonic when Spindashing though! Turns out, he is the real Sonic! :eng99:

Also, looking at Rocket Metal longer, I don't think he's Metal Sonic: his design is different it a lot of ways that make me think it's definitely a different model of Mecha Sonic.

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Pengi

Pengi

It says Marine "may have mysterious water powers...?", which as far as I know is the first time any official media has acknowledged that thing she did at the end of the game, but it's not a definitive statement.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Which is why Forces was just a fever dream and Encore Mode is the true canon.

And I will die on that hill.