don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    The other five scattered, but...
    Considering the game came out in 1993, thus we already had West Side Island's lore, I'm not sure why this happened.

2. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't contradict what I said. "off balance" is pretty much interchangeable with powerless.

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

It's easy to figure... They simply didn't care about previous games' lore and went with a premise fitting to them.
    Handheld games had their own ways of telling each one's story. SEGA might've also given some freedom to the handheld's developers.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I believe the SMS/GG games were supposed to be their own timeline separate from the main branch. Hence why they never left South Island, had always 6 Emeralds (except for Sonic Blast, which had 5 for story reasons), and treated Knuckles as a stranger to Sonic and Tails in the STT manual.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Or at the time, the lore was "each island had a set of Chaos Emeralds", which seems to have been implied with how many islands where were the Chaos Emeralds sleep, and it was quietly retconned to all being the same set.

It's something someone will have to ask Yuji Naka/whoever was in control at the time if the chance ever arises.

6. Titan

Titan

UK
    This. It’s so much easier to assume this is the case, rather than bending over backwards to make them fit in the ‘main’ timeline.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yeah, back in the day it was relatively common for games to have parallel sequels that ignored/contradicted each other, usually as a result of different teams working on different games. Rocket Knight Adventures had two sequels that had similar titles but were completely different games with different stories for different systems. Similarly, Wonder Boy 2 had two sequels titled Wonder Boy 3, one for arcade and the other for home consoles. The last game in the series, Monster Boy, has appearances of the heroes from all previous games except arcade!WB3, as it's not in continuity. Other series like Metal Gear, Castlevania, Shinobi, Kirby and Bubsy had parallel sequels as well.

For its part, Sonic 1 had three parallel sequels: Sonic 2 MD, Sonic 2 SMS (completely different story and takes place in South Island), and Sonic CD. Then Aspect made Sonic Chaos which continued from their Sonic 2 and ignored the MD one, as it took place in South Island and still had 6 Emeralds. After that Sonic Team made Sonic 3 as a direct sequel to Sonic 2 MD that ignored Chaos and CD (no Peel-Out, Mecha Sonic is treated as the go-to robot Sonic instead of Metal, and Amy is nowhere to be seen) and didn't allow for any games to take place in between. And finally Aspect made Triple Trouble which continued from Chaos: once again set in South Island, 6 Emeralds, the first zone is named after the starting zone from Chaos, and it was titled Sonic & Tails 2 in Japan. And there is reason to believe that Knuckles wasn't going to be in the game at first but was added late in development to capitalize on his popularity, explaining why he's not playable and feels kinda tacked on.

Of course, CD is considered part of the timeline nowadays, but you have to move it to before Sonic 2 or after S3K for it to make sense.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  8. Pengi

Pengi

9. Titan

Titan

UK
    Yeah as far as I’m aware the Japanese manual is not specific about where it’s set. It could maybe be the 8 bit timeline’s version of Angel Island, given Knuckles knows how to set all those traps between the levels. But as Blue said, Knux may have been thrown in at the last minute, so they probably didn’t think about it too much.

10. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

I was actually gonna bring this up. We have an example as is with the master Emerald which doesn't abide by normal time rules according to Rivals 2. So the Chaos Emeralds being beyond the bounds of time itself actually is not so far fetched. Especially given we know they already can be used to warp space and time as is.
    Actually they don't and the fact the Time Eater gets bounced back when trying to erase the Chaos Emeralds actually goes hand in hand with the notion that they are fixed contructs that exist beyond the bounds of time itself.
    White Space is actually explained to be the space the gang end up after Time Eater erased the entire timeline. White space itself is erased time. Effectively the recycle bin of the universe.
    The fact the Chaos Emeralds not only persist in this verse, and Time Eater can't even do anything about them is really telling.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  11. Sure, but you kinda contradicted yourself here, ngl.

"Trying to erase the chaos emeralds"
    "White Space itself is erased time"
    "Persist in this verse"
    So the time eater is trying to erase the erased emeralds? It's supposed to be trying to collect their power, but it can't cause the emeralds are frozen in the same limbo as everything else and have that protective barrier. Yeah, the emeralds can stop the time eater from taking them, but can Sonic just walk up to them and turn super? No- they have to restore the emeralds first. The emeralds are capable of getting locked in the colorless limbo like everything else. They need the flow of time to work.

Chaos control distorts space-time, right? How can you control something that doesn't exist?

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm pretty confused.

13. Then we, as sonic fans, are doing our job well XD

14. _Sidle

_Sidle

Classic Sonic is coming to that (Apple Arcade) Sonic Racing mobile game.
    Have fun with this knowledge... and lovely new render!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Nice. I like that they refer to Classic Sonic as "a younger Sonic from older times".

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    So Classic Sonic is a younger Sonic from older times, that even Modern Sonic thought he was himself from the past because they are identical, but sure he is from a whole other dimension and has nothing to do with Modern Sonic.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  17. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I wonder if Mario fandom is so obsessed with Mario, Paper Mario, JumpMan, Smash! Mario and all of the other incarnations of the character, like we are with Classic/Modern Sonic :D

18. Pengi

Pengi

What's the source for these renders? They need to go on the wiki, in the best possible quality.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

I think otherwise. Them doing that only cements what I deem a stupid mindset.
    IMO Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic WERE only aesthetic variants of each others. NOW they're parallel reality versions of each other.
    Despite all these years of games and adventures, Sonic and others barely seem to have grown older, so I'll never accept that notion.

20. I love how what started off as just a cute little nod has turned into one of the most stupidest fan debates ever.

Honestly, if I had known the fallout that would have occurred from it, I would have never brought back Classic Sonic at all.