don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. I interviewed and spoke with him quite a bit for my master’s research and will probably send him an email with a copy once it’s finished. I can try to remember to ask.

This actually reminds me: he mentioned proposing a product line for the Genesis where they would import/sell original non-localized copies of Japanese MD games under the name Sega Pirate or something like that. Is this documented anywhere? I was surprised because I had never heard of it.

Edit: Just in case it wasn’t clear, it never happened. I was just curious if it was ever teased/mentioned in an old magazine or something.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    What do we know about this game? I can't seem to find any reference to it on Retro, though, to be fair, I wouldn't even know where to look for.

Translation: This one is old, huh! Sonic game made with Java and running on Motorola TIMEPORT P1088. Straight from 2000!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. https://edition.cnn.com/2000/fyi/gameroom/12/01/sonic.cell/

Related?

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    What a weird image to choose for an article like this.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, it is a known thing, called Sonic J, just seemingly not documented on Retro. I think I've seen a colored version of the image before, too - maybe even Sonic Team's website.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. Was that the image from the CNN article I linked lol? The article pic isn’t loading on my phone.

6. So sonic 1 sprites edited to use adventure proportions...

Neat

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'd suggest that you don't post about Wata Games-related auctions - it's feeding their scummy market bubble. Just spread things around and don't fall for any of that noise.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I jumped to it using Wayback machine. The image is likely gone from their servers (but not the article for some reason)

• List
  11. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I r
    I remember this screenshot and a footnote about it from magazine in my country. It mentioned SEGA entering the mobile market. Mag was printed in 2000 iirc.

I'll scan and translate the thing when I get to my family home. I don't think we'll get any juicy information from it thought.

• List
  12. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Wata's ratings are inconsistent, making their only purpose to drive up prices and hype. A Saturn Tomb Raider game got graded a 9.6 or something, despite having obvious flaws and muck on it. Having a crack on a 9.4 is just par for the course for this terrible company. I'm pretty sure it's to make people think that their old games are worth that much and drive up the prices further.

I'm entirely convinced it's a scam designed to draw suckers in and make a bubble that'll pop in the next few years. Especially when you dig into it, and find that the majority of hype around Wata and these increasingly absurd values is from the literal owners of the company, or people related to the owners of the company. Not like there's a grading company already who's been around for far longer and isn't hyping up games to reach the million plus value for games that were produced in the millions.

13. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Meanwhile, Buckaroo with his £9,600 (or roughly US$13,000) from his one-of-a-kind Sonic 1 prototype cartridge...

It's overpriced, I tell ya.

• List
  14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    They work in co-operation with an auction company (who also get commission on items sold through them) - the higher the game prices get, the more money both Wata and the auction company get through grading and sales. These massively expensive games aren't actually being sold to anyone new - they're just being passed between people involved in the scam.

• List
  15. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Figures.

I hope the bubble bursts early so I can laugh when they cry about their wasted investments.

16. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  17. So apparently sega genesis games are coming to Nintendo switch online, including sonic. Buddy of mine spotted Sonic 1 apparently. How could this affect Sonic origins at all?

(I would put this in that thread, but it's locked) :p

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic 2 and Mean Bean Machine are part of the initial Nintendo Switch Online Sega Genesis lineup. It's the original Genesis version, though - won't affect Origins at all.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah pretty much this.. the version on NSO will likely be the original, 4:3 and emulated.. so now there will be 4 different ways to play Sonic 1 and 2 on the Switch:

a) SEGA Ages Sonic 1 and 2
    b) SEGA Genesis Classics
    c) Sonic Origins (only one that will be widescreen)
    d) Nintendo Switch Online

(I’m fairly certain Sonic 1 will eventually be added; very strange they decided to launch with Sonic 2 instead of 1)

What I’m interested in finding out is how they will handle Sonic 3 & Knuckles, assuming that game will make its way over as well post-Origins

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  20. Finally got to check the footage for myself.

Fuck Sonic, my boi Ristar is here :D