don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    https://twitter.com/alexartshere/status/1436729125629222913?s=21

Just experienced some glitching myself when fighting the Aquarium Park boss. As I’ve said in my thread, my Switch is from launch, has at least relatively recent firmware and has never been modded (you can see indirect footage in my last tweet).

Context behind this is that I was going in and out of each world because I was looking for a level with a D rank so I could do the smashing numbers achievement. I have seen it speculated previously in this thread that rapid loading and unloading of assets could cause this, but it might not even be all that difficult to trigger, given that I did it by complete accident under very mundane circumstances.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Just for the record, you can actually get that one on your first run through a level. That was actually the first achievement I got.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Lmao wish I knew that before I beat the game and went RSR hunting.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Sorry. I always try to break the numbers just for fun, even on the Wii original.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I just waited until a time up in Asteroid Coaster Act 4, it's only like 2 minutes they don't expect you to be in that level long as you're running in a circle killing motobugs for a few laps.

Also a good act to complete the "no ring" achievement

7. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So...
    I refrained myself from criticising the game, because I didn't want to be that Sonic Fan, but after playing the game a bit on friends Switch, I'm glad I didn't buy it digital. Heck, I don't know If I want to buy physical copy at all.

Its one of the worst remasters I've ever played.

I mean - I remember liking Colours. The story was fun, even if the jokes were bad,and the gameplay was allright. Now, I believe if someone is remastering a game - it should not only recreate everything faithfully, but add good stuff on top of it.
    Like for example, Crash N. Sane trilogy. It not only recreated the game in great way, but added extra stuff: playable Coco, dlc levels, speedruns and more importantly - it updated Crash 1 and 2, to 3rd standards.

Sonic Colours Ultimate was trying to do the same thing, but it's a shallow effort.

While new music is great, Tails save system is a good idea, Metal Sonic battles are a good addition and customization is fun, the rest of the game feels like a broken half-assed effort to create an impression of a good product.

- the controls somehow feel stiff and floaty
    at the same time
    - the homing attack doesn't connect all the time
    - you can't always destroy enemies with a simple jump
    - Sonic model looks plastic, just plain ugly
    - Metal Sonic races feel souless and the menus for them look so cheap. It reminds me of PlayStation all stars menus, that were really bland. How about adding some extra scene? A dialogue? Anything?
    - lightning somehow looks worse that Wii version
    - the controls are bad. Why can't you strife on the super fast sections with L and R button, like in Generations? It would be way better and easier. I don't think that "it's because of kids" argument holds any water. This control scheme is just bad
    - it's a 2021 game, in which You can't adjust SFX and music volume separately.

Surely, most of above issues You can fix with a path down the line, but the whole package just feels cheap.

I've only played it for like an hour-two tops, but from what I have seen... It's not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    @Forte Regarding your point on the control scheme, the original Colours was designed so one could play it with just a Wiimote, hence why you use the control stick to quickstep and why drifting sections use B to drift and prevent you from boosting on the ground. Don’t get me wrong, I would’ve loved for these things to be changed and with drifting in particular it would’ve been very interesting to see these levels played with Generations styled controls, but at the end of the day at least the game is designed around these limitations. Hopefully modding is able to rework this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I think they just ported the controls as is and that's why we have those limits.

For reference, I was wondering why the game didn't have Dpad support when every other Boost game on Playstation did. It turns out...the original didn't have Dpad support for other control layouts either.

I think that's why we got that weird boost and stomp buttons getting reversed too. When they ported the controls its probably just how it got mapped compared to the Wii original and rather than change it they just made the controls modifiable.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  12. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Then they should update the game to have it customizable then.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    admittedly tangential to the topic, but I disagree with this very hard...the crash remakes managed to make the handling in the games themselves unbelievably clunky, so all that extra stuff doesn't really matter to me when it feels terrible to play.

I was stuck trying to get the relic for The High Road for hours because I kept slipping off of platforms - something extremely hard to do in the original games by accident*. I 100% all three with extra % on top of that for the relics in the hopes that maybe the game will start feeling like Crash to me? But it never came. The mod scene for the PC version doesn't seem great either, so it's not like it can be fixed.

For reference, I've been playing the games to completion intermittently and repeatedly for the past couple of decades (they came out when I was a kid), so that colors my opinion quite a bit. I don't think the remakes handled backporting the games' level layouts very well with their own platforming...engine...thing (jumping, movement, collision, etc), so it really, really doesn't feel tightly paced or made.

* You can certainly accidentally run off of platforms if your reflexes don't match your speed, but it's very hard to land on a thing and then fall off entirely without button inputs in the original titles.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They could have kept cutscenes at 30fps if needed. Upscaling the cutscenes instead of rerendering feels more like a time/budget sacrifice than an artistic choice.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Fwiw, I wasn’t saying it was an artistic choice. It probably would’ve been a massive waste of time and money to fix all the animations so they just chose to upscale. I don’t knock them for that; the cutscenes are pretty unimportant in terms of the game and they were working on a deadline so I think it’s understandable.

17. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I'm sure somebody will make it work at some point. Even if it means 30fps cutscenes, having them in HD will look nice, and I hope that eventually happens.

18. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Are we getting mods so soon because the dev tools were left behind?

Pokemon's recent hit was a Critical Hit for massive damage. Game Freak, who makes the main series, has lost a lot of trust, good will, and honor to the point that if they can't provably make a good game anymore, I done with them and won't even buy used! And I'm saying this as someone who is still willing to get Sonic Colors Ultimate on the switch. (Call me crazy for that one)

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    As someone who wholeheartedly agrees with that statement...it doesn't matter. It's Pokemon. It'll still sell millions on the name alone.

Back to Colors. Got all the Red Rings (only had to look up 14, so I did pretty good). Got the achievement for finishing a level as Super Sonic...and I'm never gonna use him again. Even though finally having him back was awesome at the time, using the Wisps is where the game shines.