don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The biggest issue would be stores not selling to those under 18, which I don't actually know is a thing over there (But also I would suspect there might not be a physical release for this until it proves profitable digitally so who knows)

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    So uh, after the colors release....do you guys still think they will go above and beyond with this?

3. SEGA doesn’t think it’s important for us to know who’s developing this yet despite knowing the hype generated by certain names so my expectations are low until I see anything that proves otherwise.

4. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

We don't really know who's working on this project. Colors may have been a side project shoved off to someone else and rushed to release by Sega, but Origins might be developed with a lot more care. I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if this were another Sonic Forces/Sonic Mania moment, where one project receives a lot more care than the other.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. RikohZX

RikohZX

A lot of interest or disinterest is entirely hinging on whether this is being outsourced or not, really. The fact that they apparently didn't have anything to show at its announcement doesn't help, as if they had just started work on it, but if it's Evening Star or an internal Sega team then there's at least hope. If only some in the case of the latter.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well. We already Have the decomp versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD. The missing piece, Sonic 3, was beautifully filled in by Sonic 3 Air.
    So if Origins is good or not won't make a difference.

If it's good I'll pick it up, though!

7. shilz

shilz

I honestly don't consider the Retro versions of 1 and 2 to be true substitutes, mainly because Sonic 1's special stages were ruined, Sonic 2 ignored the QoL changes Sonic 2 and Knuckles had (Not that Sonic 2 can really be saved by those), and some of the more inaccurate things that were brought on by the entire thing being a spin-off of the CD recreation. They're neat, but the only thing that's really interesting about them is the widescreen and save files.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat

Ya I played MK as a kid. My parents knew it was violent but they knew I understood it was just a game. I’ve never fought anyone either.

I had the Sega Channel too. Loved it. I played so many games I otherwise would not have checked out. I collected a few of them years later.

9. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    Been browsing back through this thread but haven't spotted much discussion...

Did I dream it or did Izuka say something along lines of the kind of modifications (no lives, Tails save etc) made to Sonic Colours are ones they are considering for Sonic Origins?

Am hoping they don't tinker with the classics too much - or at the very least make anything like that an option - but.... Colours Ultimate has me a little freaked for the whole franchise right now in a way I didn't expect it to. (And yes - I know the worst of the worst are emulator spam - but even the simple stuff like amping up sound effect volume then putting music & SFX on same slider so you can't amend it is a travesty). In honesty - right now Sonic Team aren't a studio I feel comfortable tweaking anything...

10. _Sidle

_Sidle

The 2013 vers make the S1 special stages actually playable from my experience, so I'm curious what ya find "ruined" them by smoothly rotating them to the games framerate instead of making them distractingly tick like the og.
    A mixture of both S2 and KiS2 object types and placements are used in a single unified map. General rule seems to be adding the extra KiS2 secrets where the didn't exist before, and shifting some S2 objects to slightly lower KiS2 locations when required. (strangely the 2013 maps on our wiki don't appear to be fully accurate for these???). The only QoL thing I'm aware is not included is the ring keep from exiting the special stage as Knux. + - possibly for consistencies sake or achievements or something idk  
    Transparency effects have reduced the incredibly harsh single-frame(?) flickering intentionally done for CRTs (shields, water surfaces, final boss room barriers, Green Hill wrecking ball, etc...) to be more tolerable on digital displays.
    Unsure if this is just a "didn't happen on my machine" type deal, but I never remember getting that weird bug from the og games + - where you're rolling through loops at ludicrous speed and all of a sudden just stop dead for no discernable reason   in 2013.
    Obviously there's a lot of tweaks in 2013 under the hood, but I'd say they're well worth it given the upgrades done with the more capable engine.

Now that ColoursUltimate is kinda sorta out, hopefully we get information on Origins soon.
    iirc the only information we have at this point:

11. shilz

shilz

Special stages in 1 were made way harder than was probably intended by the very fact they were smoothed out. It seems like they took the hardware drawbacks in those sections into account for the design choices. In the new one you're at the complete mercy of the stage, so there's nothing to master. It's just pure luck.

12. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I thought I was the only one who had issues with Sonic 1 2013's special stages, but saying that they were "ruined" might be a tad too much.

From my experience, it's less that they were smoothed out and more that, since the speed/air cap is disabled by default, Sonic just bounces all over the place, making it much harder than it should be. Like for real, one time I managed to reach the third special stage, and the second it started I was immediately bumpered towards one of the exits at high speed, and I could do nothing about it.

13. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    It should be noted that the Sonic 1 special stages could have had that smooth rotation in the original version. I'm pretty sure someone found the actual toggle for that in the decompiled code. This implies, to me at least, that the slightly choppy rotation in the original game as released was an intentional choice, because the smooth rotation makes the stages much more difficult to maneuver. That's only one of several things I dislike about the mobile remakes.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I recall it being that, and it also covered up a slight graphical glitch? I may be remembering wrong.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't consider the Taxman Ports to be definitive because they undeniably change the base games. I think the change to widescreen is significant enough, but the addition of Tails and Knuckles' abilities definitely makes Sonic 2 play in a way it never did originally. If I want to play a 'purist' Sonic 1 or 2 I'd go with M2.

That said, I do prefer the Taxman games considerably and consider them to be a lot more enjoyable. I think it's similar to the FF remasters. They definitely change the game a lot, but I also think they are just more fun.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Changing the base game doesn't mean they can't be definitive. All that matters is that those changes are good, or at least optional.

17. MH MD

MH MD

Not like Sonic Team actually tweaked colors Ultimate anyway, nor they are even touching the Origin collection to our knowledge , they are all outsourced projects

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Harper

Harper

Iizuka mentioned that they were thinking about making some modifications to the games to make them more beginner friendly. We never got a 100% confirmation though, just that they're considering it.

19. Flygon

Flygon

I really hope that's codeword for removing the barrel.

20. shilz

shilz

I'm not saying that because they changed stuff about the game doesn't mean it's definitive, it's more like a sense that something is off even when there could technically be nothing "wrong". It's kind of like how people looked at the gameplay at Crash N Sane Trilogy remakes, it felt different, and whether or not they got used to it could make it an inferior choice for them. same thing with Super Mario 64 DS except that time it is 100% the definitive version to play