don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. They confirmed in the Sonic Official stream today that a day 1 patch is coming and future bug fixes are in the works.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So I’ve played up to the end of Tropical Resort after work today, and I’ve not found the game to be as fun as I remember it to be all those years ago. Not really sure whether this is due to differences with the remaster though.

- Intro FMV and title screen use the American spelling of Colours, literally unplayable (Switch system icon still uses the correct spelling) :colbert:

- Sonic’s jumping feels really heavy? There were a fair amount of walls I was struggling to scale even with the double jump, and I don’t remember this being an issue in the original Colours, Generations or Forces, all of which I feel had a much higher jump arc.

- The spring sound effect on dash pads and rings still hasn’t been fixed, nor has the issue of Sonic’s pupils never moving.

- I don’t know if this is a bug or by design, but the results screen music doesn’t play after the Act Clear jingle and neither does the title screen music when exiting out of the game when exiting to the title screen.

- Levels take much longer to load than in the Wii original. I’ve been playing in handheld mode, so maybe that’s a factor, but It’s still longer than I’m happy with. The customisation menu is also jarringly slow to load and change sub menus.

- Some models just look substandard. The Wisps look very choppy on particular, and have a weird transparency effect on the title screen. Incidentally, Jade Ghost doesn’t even show up on the title screen.

All small issues so far, but these things add up. Can at least speak to all the Tropical Resort remixes being enjoyable tracks in their own right. Jun Senoue’s boss remix is totally wasted on a boss you’ll trash within 15 seconds.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It's not our fault you people add a bunch of pointless superfluous U's to words.

Oh wait, sorry, lemme try again:

Iutu's nuout ouur fuaulut yuou pueuoupulue audud au buunucuh ouf puouiunutulueusus suupueurufuluuouus U's tou wourudus.

Is that better?

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    As a matter of fact, I hope all your classic Sonic games are cursed to play as though they were made in the style of Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. :argh:

5. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I wonder if + - Jade will be missing from the Final Color Blaster, too.  

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    As a Euroupean I take ouffense tou that

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Just played through Tropical Resort. Still the same game I know and love and it’s really great to revisit it with a fresh coat of paint. I especially enjoy the movie Sonic customization. Looks cool.

I only have two complaints currently: the load times are a little excessive (this may be a Switch-only issue) and the laser is sort of hard to aim in 2D because of the lack of lighting. But overall this is a great port of a great game.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've been playing the PC version. I don't have the loading issue you all are discussing, things load pretty quick for me at least. The game looks pretty great too, save of course for Sonic's non moving pupils which still bugs me and the use of the upscaled wisp sprites (not sure why they just didn't ask for the Forces wisp capsule asset) . I haven't noticed too many odd quirks yet, couple of weird dash panels in Starlight Carnival, camera got a tad confused in Sweet Mountain Act 2 when I reversed my rail direction towards the end to get a park token, Starlight Carnival Act 3's beginning animation is just broken for some reason, but overall it's been pretty good. And I could tell they fixed some things (the Sweet Mountain rockets actually explode now rather than just fall apart). Did a day 1 patch come out for this yet or will that be Tuesday?

One nice new feature though, in Sweet Mountain in the act with the swinging lollipop things, if you do the precise homing thing the lollipop will do a full swing around, no boost needed. I sometimes got a bit stuck at that part after running out of boost in that section.

Also according to tcrf, this game has unused achievements. One was for beating Metal Sonic in all the Rival races (I've done 3 so far, Metal's actually not a complete pushover, I actually lost once) and the other two involved time trial ghosts, which I do not believe are a feature in this game. Are they? Maybe they weren't finished.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    >implying we added them when it was actually an American who took them out in an effort to put his name in the history books

Have we had any news from Sega yet on when Colours Ultimate physical is likely to be available beyond a "sorry, we don't know"?

10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    We wouldn't have taken them out if they were so important. :V

But this has probably gone too far, so I'll stop.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
  12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Amazon updated my delivery date to October 1th.
    It's probably a temporary delivery date but it's fair to say the game will be sent around this time I think.

13. Smashbro

Smashbro

im just waitin' on a modloader

14. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    Load issues are not Switch exclusive — getting long loads and weird stutters on PS5 when using an external HDD. Gonna see how it fares on the internal drive.

15. Long load times are on Xbox One, too.

I've played the game til about halfway through Planet Wisp so far. I didn't play the original, so this is my first time. Here are some stray thoughts...

Overall I am liking it, but the game feels a lot more like Sonic Forces than Generations or Unleashed, in terms of controls and gameplay. In general I think I prefer the boost to be tied to rings/tricks rather than item boxes; I prefer the feeling of "earning" the boost rather than the level just giving it to me.

Similar to Forces, what I'm enjoying most is the Red Ring hunting.

The customization options are all pretty bad. I've been using the Movie Aura and Movie Boost, though, and I like them okay. Having an additional collectible in the level is kinda fun.

The music kicks ass (I do wish you could turn down the Sound FX in the options menu, they're way too loud, but it's unfortunately tied to the music!) The visuals are nice. The writing in the cut-scenes is pretty corny. The emerald stages are shockingly bland. I know these are kind of the obvious takes on the game, but they are also the correct ones. ;)

16. Yeah, Terminal Velocity has the best remix of the game.

17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Unfortunately I have to wait until I get out of work to finally play the game, but from what I’m seeing and reading, I have a lot to look forward to this go around. The only thing I'm concerned with is the load times (I will play it on the PS4 with the game installed on an external hard drive) so I hope SEGA takes note and improves that in the day one patch

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I listened to most of the remixes and they're incredible, they took the soundtrack from good to amazing imo

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    So people are cracking the game over and there’s a TON of unused stuff in it - including stuff leftover from the development of the Wii version that wasn’t actually left in the retail game! Gonna be checking TCRF pretty often now to see what goodies are hidden inside...

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Turbohog

Turbohog

Does everyone have a review copy? I'm legit confused. Everything I see online says it isn't out until the 7th or 9th.

Edit: For the uninformed, there is an early access version of the game.