don't click here

Which Sonic Games are Mainline?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Swiftbix, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Sonic Runners is an interesting case. I want to say it doesn't count but I think I am just being biased because I never played it, lol.

I'm curious, what was the explanation for Knuckles and the M.E.?

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Sonic Runners is not mainline because I literally forgot it ever existed.

Sarcasm aside, it doesn't fit my definition as listed above, so imma say no.

3. Wraith

Wraith

Leaning toward "I gave Secret Rings a pass, so fuck it." It was a complete failure and thus didn't influence anything going forward but otherwise fits all my criteria

4. sk.PNG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Now that I'm seeing it again I distinctly remember doing a Sensible Chuckle when I first read that. Something like "oooh ho ho ho ho spin-off they say! Oh what will they think of next!"

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    That the local animal friends and Omochao guard it while he's away.

I didn't say it was a good explanation. :V

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Okay, here's the relevant bit in the Japanese Mega Collection:
    upload_2021-8-13_22-50-23.png

Google Translate gives me this on the last sentence:

So yeah, it sounds like this was just a bad translation.

EDIT: I think the history of Sonic video is a little bit different for Sonic Jam! I wanted to see if the Japanese version was also misleading about Jam, and it is. The first thing it says in both versions is, "Sonic has evolved into 3D!" with no implication that this was just a museum mode in another better compilation. :V

But they differ in their next lines. The English version says, "Take a look at the new Sonic, now more real than ever!" Whereas the Japanese version seems to acknowledge that the version featured in Jam was *not* the new Sonic:

upload_2021-8-13_23-9-20.png

This is something to the effect of, "He looks a little cuter running than he does nowadays, doesn't he?"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Also, random tidbit- CD peel-out aside, isn't Jam the game where the Naruto run became the Sonic standard?

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yes. Although Jam predated Naruto by more than two years, so really, it's Naruto doing the Sonic Run.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Wasn't that specifically a single event that ended up failing? correct me if I am wrong. I'm not super robust in regards to my Runners knowledge.
    in general I find the prospect of insisting Runners is canon kind of silly if the argument is the info in regards to Wisps.
    information can be present within a game without it necessarily being canon. Info exists in whatever documents Sonic Team supposedly have in HQ. Whether or not we get access to it and in what form is kind of up to them.
    Info exists in the Olympic games for example, but to my knowledge those are explicitly not canon.
    Not speaking one way or the other necessarily. just disagreeing with the logic being used to say it most certainly is.

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    And Dragon Ball predates all of those, so Goku enters the chat.

Back on topic, considering the most evident cases and what seems to be Sega's usual reasoning, "mainline" games would be the ones starring Sonic the hedgehog as the main playable character that were designed for the main hardware of the time under the criteria of what was the "standard" gameplay of the era. Prior to the Dreamcast, that was classic Sonic gameplay on Mega Drive because its add-ons never became the main thing or popular enough, and Saturn never got birth to it's version of Adventure or even X-Treme, So, while Sega still had hardware to go with, that means 1, 2, 3/K (probably split), SA1 and SA2. After that, anything for the most powerful and relevant hardware of the time, or, at least, the most powerful Nintendo hardware, but never alternate takes like Boom or Mania, which means Heroes, '06, Unleashed, Colours, Generations, Lost World, Forces and Zap/Rangers when it's released. Of course I'd have included Shadow because it was a piece of the Shonen era and the gameplay's based in SA2, but it doesn't meet the criteria. The rest, canon or not, it's a spin-off even if it was better than the main thing or the only thing at its time.

12. Not to be an ass, but who still calls it Sonic Zap? It literally went on record that that's not only not what it says, but also that we supposedly won't be able to decipher it outside of the in-game context.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I mean until they officially announce the title we can call it pretty much whatever we want. I don't think it matters that much!

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Sonic Fuckers

15. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Haven't most main-line Sonic games not been full-price since Unleashed? I might be wrong on that, but I remember someone in the Other Knowledge thread proving that Unleashed was released at a lower price. And I remember Generations being less than $60 too, but it's been a while since then.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, that was me, and you're right - after Sonic 06, the only mainline game that launched at full price was Colors:
    • Unleashed - $49.99 (technically, I think the WiiS2 version was full price, but this was $10 off the standard MSRP for HD systems)
    • Colors - $49.99
    • Generations - $49.99
    • Lost World - $49.99 (Wii U games also retailed for $59.99)
    • Mania - $19.99 (or $24.99 for the version that included Mania Plus)
    • Forces - $39.99
    • And if you want to count it, Colors Ultimate - $39.99
    Actually, I need to check if that includes spin-offs... I think all the racing games launched at $40 or $50, too. I'm 99% sure TSR did, anyway. I *think* Boom might have launched at $60, but I never got that one. The handheld version of all these games always launched at full price as far as I know, though.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    According to this Destructoid review, Transformed did launch at $39.99, so it's probably safe to assume the first game did as well!

Review: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed – Destructoid

There's an archived press release here that claims Rise of Lyric launched at $49.99. Phew... That said, it also mentions Shattered Crystal launching at $39.99, which is technically full price for the platform. I think Fire & Ice launched at the same price, too. I know these are spin-offs, but just posting these while we're at it. :doge:

(Updated with trailers) PR: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric & Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal Hit Stores Nationwide - Pure Nintendo

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sure, but there's a clear outlier in this list. Unleashed, Colours, Generations, Lost World all $50, Forces $40, Mania... $20. There's a clear difference between "maybe not actually full price but not far off" and "literally 1/3 of full price".

19. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Imagine if X-treme was a mainline title, and canon. The timeline would be a bigger mess than it is already.

20. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm very uninterested in the topic of which games are "mainline" but I will contest that pricing shouldn't be a factor at all. Games are priced and advertised differently in different countries. I also think we should look at the game itself.