don't click here

Sonic Rings Series

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Jul 22, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Surprised no one's made a thread on this yet. Sega and G-Fuel recently started a mini-documentary series for the 30th anniversary that spotlights high-profile Sonic fans. There are two out now.

Jirad Khalil (the Completionist):

Hannah (NoisyButters)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    Thank you for posting these. I've never heard of the second person until now though.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I posted one or two episodes on the supreme topic of other knowledge. Wasn't sure if needed a thread.

She likes Shadow the game...

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Somecallmejohnny should be a lock for this series… I can’t see how he wouldn’t be a feature

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. I'm still iffy on the idea of Sega doing this myself, but then that's because most of the Sonic content Youtube tries to recommend to me - outside of the channels I'm subscribed to already - tends to be pretty... off. Like, not awful but something's not quite right that I can't quite put my finger on? I don't know...

In any case, I know he does a lot more than just Sonic content but part of me really hopes that Josh's Geek Critique series gets a spot in this series. I'm biased since I've been friends with the guy since long before he started the Youtube channel, but he puts out amazing content and being featured by Sega would be great!

6. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    Geek Critique has this really… “homely” feel to his content. I especially enjoyed his Mario RPG reviews.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    "Random Youtubers talk about Sonic"

Can't wait until Arin Hanson shows up and says the utter opposite of the shitting on Sonic he's been doing on Game Grumps for the last 8 years.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    They gotta know that bringing back Arin would bring a shitstorm.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    People I don't know gushing about Sonic the Hedgehog wouldn't get me to buy more games. Maybe diverting some of the marketing budget into making some decent products would be a better plan.

Said the Sonic Retro wiki sysop. Does that count as a high profile Sonic fan?

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I don't really care about YouTubers, but Josh is the one person I would love to see in this kind of Video. His Geek Critique seem like a really honest look at the things he really loves.

I do recognise Jirard, but I don't know who that other person is.

11. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    @The Joebro64 There is a new installment of the series in case you want to edit the OP.

Also, I’ve been pondering on this, and I don’t mean any offense to the people involved in this Rings Series, but what is Sega doing? I’ve scoured the channels of the people from episodes 2 and 3, and I couldn’t even find any Sonic content! There are a lot of Sonic fans on YouTube both known and unknown who I feel are much better qualified for this series (some of whom have already been mentioned in this very thread). Instead it looks like Sega is just featuring Youtubers based on their subscriber count and nothing else. It’s unfortunate because besides the Completionist I’ve never heard of any of these people.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Maybe they want to make their subscribers play Sonic games based on their favorite Youtubers saying that it's good.

13. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Unless it's Johnny, Josh or Clement talking about Sonic I'm indifferent.

14. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    You see, that makes logical sense, but Sega’s own description for this series says otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Because they need a beautiful excuse for doing this.

16. _Sidle

_Sidle

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It most certainly isn't as far as I'm concerned.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Could be cropped 4:3.

Probably isn't - it's either Dolphin or the native PC version cranked up to silly settings, but ehh.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nope. Either they got that from the widescreen Dolphin hack or a modded PC version. And that is what they did with the Sonic Adventure footage oddly (zoom in on the DC version)

They've been using unofficial sources like this more often lately, like the use of the Chao garden camera hack for the symphony intermission. Idk how I feel about the practice, I mean ya its fan stuff but it's fan hacks or remakes of games Sega owns the rights to. Just wish they'd finally take that extra step and open up pc modding for us.

20. Frostav

Frostav

I know what you mean, a lot of Sonic content on youtube is a bit...childish. Not in terms of tone but I think like 90% of the watchers of channels of stuff like Blue Vivacity are literally tweens and kids.

And yeah, Josh really deserves a spot on here.