don't click here

4Gamer interview with Takashi Iizuka (Japanese)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pengi, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Pengi

Pengi

https://www.4gamer.net/games/572/G057267/20210719023/

It's a long one and covers a lot of topics. Some highlights (machine translated):

On Sonic Origins:

On the new Sonic game:

On collaborations:

On Sonic Prime:

On Sonic 2 and 3:

There's also some talk about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, his role at Sonic Pillar in the US, the Sonic movie and more.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Good!

That CHAOS theory is dead.

What? It didn't look like it ô_õ

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Dear Mr. Designer, plz don't change the designs. We need some variance from time to time to keep things interesting. :ohdear:

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  5. Pengi

Pengi

I imagine it will be similar to the IDW comics, non-canonical adventures of the "regular" Sonic.

6. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    I'm not too surprised. I guess we'll hear more about it in the winter (hopefully). Also, I'm glad that the symbol from the teaser is genuinely going to be in the game unlike that one Sonic Forces trailer with the infinity symbol which turned out to mean nothing.

Also, an interesting statement about Sonic Prime from this interview:
    Honestly, this is a smart move imo if it ends up being executed correctly:
    1. this is good brand synergy. We'll basically have the same Sonic in games, comics, and TV.
    2. This could be the most authentic display of what Sonic is on a TV show to date.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  7. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I think that might actually be the first time Iizuka talked about his work on Sonic 2 on the record unless I'm totally off base.

8. Pengi

Pengi

He's mentioned debugging Sonic 2 at least once before: https://sonicjpnews.blogspot.com/2016/06/translation-of-sonic-25th-anniversary.html

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  9. Wow, even Iizuka was tripped up by the old title screen tails

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I was going to say, part of me wonders if they changed the title screen last minute to clear up that confusion. But then I also thought they might have just changed it to be more dynamic and animated rather than a still on a moving background. Something about the old title screen always felt "temp" to me anywau (everything was basically altered from Sonic 1's title screen, it was one of the 1st things even in the game, and when they finally added the option selections they were orange which didn't look right)

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Tails looked like a girl in the final title screen too, I had to be the one telling everyone IRL he was a boy (and I knew mostly because "Miles" is a male name and I read manuals).

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    ANOTHER OF MY KIND? I thought I was the only one!

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Yeah, we're weird, using something that comes in the box we paid for to learn how to play the game we paid for. We're nuts in the eyes of the world.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Easy fix, just say Tails transitioned between now and Sonic 2, which is actually the most recent game in the very consistent and well-planned timeline.

15. Now tell me this: did you read both the manuals and all the npc dialogue in games you played? Cause I'm that kid who did both lmao, and I constantly get shit for it (and then they come running to me for insider info I learned while taking my time lol)

16. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Err... I don't really think that's the kind of subject to make light of. Pretty crass comment if you ask me.

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Same here. I read all the lore for every game I had including stuff like Croc. Manuals were part of the reason I ended up being able to read above my level as a kid. I also used the ones with pictures as coloring books, using markers to color in the drawings of badniks and stuff. I found the Sonic 1 manual at my parents’ place and it turns out that, contrary to my memories, I couldn’t color in the lines for shit.

18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Don't have to read any manual to see Miles "Tails" Prower written across the screen right when the game starts up.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Apologies if it didn't go over well, I meant no harm.

20. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Iizuka mentioned that Tails had eyelashes in that interview, but I see none on either the prototype title, nor the final, and I checked the ones in between:
    [​IMG]

But I do suppose the more pronounced chest fur and rounder face in the proto title could be perceived as more feminine.