don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I haven't played Triple Trouble, where in the game does it say Knuckles is a stranger to Sonic? I looked at the instructions manual and it just said Eggman tricked Knuckles.

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member

The manual says that, when Knuckles shown up, Sonic and Tails were suddenly confronted by a stranger.

Some people interpret (or tweak) this as just a way to say someone in the shadows was there, or someone they didn't expect to see was there. Something like that. Not necessarily someone they hadn't met.
    But since the 8-bit titles tend to form their own narrative, it's more likely that this stranger really means a person they have never seen before.

3. Levi Church

Levi Church

Thanks I missed that.

Personally, I like to head canon that the Knuckles Sonic fights in the game is Metal Knuckles in disguise. And then Sonic frees the real Knuckles at the end of the game who Eggman captured.

4. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    On the recent Bumblecast episode, Ian Flynn said "forget about two-worlds" with a #KnowingSmile.

"I can't specify why, but don't worry about it anymore."

Starts at 31:51

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I like it. He said "don't worry about it anymore". Anymore. Three times anymore.

So it really isn't just a "forget it, we know it's bullshit but we can live with it". It really is a "this mess is gonna be solved and I say this because I know".

6. OH BOY- remember that he's writing the encyclospeedia guys- that book actually might try to fix the timeline holyyyy

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    You're welcome. You're welcome. All my bitching has been leading up to this moment. I now control the Sonic the Hedgehog canon and will shape it in my image.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Thank God. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Looking like it's the end of the most convoluted, pointless addition to the Sonic lore. If so then let's reflect on it's legacy:

Much ado about nothing, lol. I'm willing to bet they went back on it in an attempt to separate themselves from Movie!Sonic. Sega seems to like to make arbitrary distinctions between what their Sonic and alternate canon Sonics are, and the movie going all in on two worlds probably gives them reason to abandon it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    See, that's what I'm saying, lol. I really hope that we get something cohesive and downright special out of this book, especially after Sega has been teasing that they're going all out with it. A world map would be cool too (but that's wishful thinking).

10. Levi Church

Levi Church

Except for the movies, at this point two worlds will stay for them.

11. Pengi

Pengi

In the podcast linked above, Ian says that there is no consistent world map, the geography changes from game to game and not to worry about it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    They really just should never have shown a full turnaround of Sonic's planet so they can say everything we've seen in the games up to this point exists there somewhere.

13. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

They still can. It depends on you to believe it or not ^^"
    And I say this to everyone lurking around here.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Indeed. Just random places on Sonic's Earth. The single world of Sonic the Hedgehog, where all the games occurred and no silly world split occurred.

Seriously, all I can think about is that Peach's Revenge scene:
    "Man, me introducing Two Worlds really pissed them off. The only way to stop this inanity... is with more inanity, make Classic Sonic's World a third world!"

Now just merge all three back together, pretend this never happened, say it was just a Past World/Future World thing in Sonic Forces and we're all good on this.

16. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Transcription for those who can't listen.

I'm pleased as punch at this just-shy-of-outright statement, frankly. The problem with two worlds, as much as it had a bunch of logistical issues that matter to fans and nobody else, was that it impacted the ability for writers to tell stories riiffing on the whole breadth of "modern" Sonic (inseperably connected to humanity) due to fairly obscure reasons that feel like rules lawyering every time they come up.

We don't know the specifics of what's going on here, and I don't know if we'll find out in 2022 or it's just some backroom decision Ian has latitude to poke at, but... even if the only change to the canon is that they've worked out some sort of compromise where the "crossing over" Sonic Team did with Adventure and Rush gets to happen for the IDW universe, that's still a massive benefit for the immediate health of the series, the satisfaction of the tie-in writers, and the chronically lore-obsessed of us because it's lost ground for this opportunity-constricting obscura.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Thanks for the transcription! That'll be of good use to share around.

Fortunately, I feel like him saying what he said can't be interpreted any other way than "two worlds just isn't a thing anymore".

I'm probably repeating myself, but man am I relieved. It means nothing for pretty much any of the games themselves since they were never gonna reference it in-game to begin with, sure. But it absolutely eases the headache of trying to explain how Sonic, Eggman and friends all decide to arbitrarily go through doors / warpholes every other game to a different world, all conveniently while the player isn't looking. What bullshit lmao. Not even to mention how the biggest turning point for the series (Adventure) completely contradicts it. Yeesh..

There's never been a good enough reason to justify it's existence so I'm glad it appears to be getting the axe. If it weren't, he probably would've said it was complicated, but still assured us not to worry too much. This feels like something more concrete, lol.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Now they just need to say that Classic Sonic in Generations was not from another dimension the whole time, like they told in Forces and in that book, and just use some time travel shenanigan or whatever.

19. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    Yeah, come to think of it, wasn't there even some kid in the game who explicitly says that he heard about the events of Sonic CD and Sonic 3&K?

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The events of the classic games happened in the modern continuity regardless the two-worlds stupidity.
    In Sonic Adventure, Amy remembers when she was kidnapped by Metal Sonic and Sonic rescued her. In Sonic Generations, Modern Tails mentions that the levels from the classic era are "places and enemies from our past".

The problem is, Angel Island in Sonic Adventure was on Earth, and has been on Earth for at least 4,000 years (or 3,000 years, I never know). They can't (well they can, but they shouldn't) just pretend this was never stated and now claim that Angel Island is on another planet.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021