don't click here

The Bean the Dynamite Story ▸ Duck or Woodpecker?!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Prototype, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Pengi

Pengi

A lot of the time we'll want to be referencing a page in a PDF (like the aforementioned https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:SSM_JP_19960322_1996-05.pdf&page=220 ). Sometimes even a video. So I think it's always useful to be able to type up a short quote manually (alongside the PDF page link or URL link), in cases where the entire magazine article (or video, or podcast) hasn't been manually transcribed yet.

Would we be able to make citation quotes work like they do on Wikipedia?

[​IMG]

Basically, just have that |quote= function, whether the citation is a URL or a document internal to Sonic/Sega Retro.

2. I was going to suggest possibly using anchors/section titles instead of line numbers myself as that would keep the spot on the page the same as formatting/headings/etc changed line numbers. However, I really like Pengi's suggestion and I think it's a more elegant solution.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Okay pretend the "quote=" exists and I'll add some sort of functionality at some point. The solution might be different to Wikipedia's fancy rollover stuff though - I suspect they're doing something more complicated behind the scenes.

4. Pengi

Pengi

Thanks! Just having the quote in the references at the button would be of value.

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Just had some conversations about this yesterday, huh. Ok, so, let me try to get the clean logic on this-

Fang is specifically named half-wolf half-jerboa in Japanese materials. Western localisation named him a weasel, full-stop. Half-wolf half-weasel was fanon based on mistranslations from japanese fan sites. Right?
    Bean is specifically named a woodpecker, a duck, or a dynamite düx at different points- but crucially, never multiple at once. The current trend to call him "half-duck half-woodpecker" is absolute fanon based on Fang being a hybrid, right?

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    This hurts my head more than it has any right to.

7. Pengi

Pengi

Correct. The Japanese fan sites had it right. The "half wolf" part managed to find its way into the English-language fandom, but nobody thought to look up what トビネズミ tobinezumi means.

Sonic Jam Official Guide says: 「ソニック&テイルス2」から登場するオオカミとトビネズミのハーフ。

オオカミ ookami https://jlearn.net/search/オオカミ

トビネズミ tobinezumi https://jlearn.net/search/トビネズミ

ハーフ half https://jlearn.net/search/ハーフ

"Half wolf and half weasel" was never correct. Sega of America came up with the idea he was a weasel.

Bean's profile in Fighters Megamix Official Guide uses the word キツツキ kitsusuki (woodpecker) https://jlearn.net/search/キツツキ

Sonic Jam Official Guide uses the word アヒル ahiru (duck) https://jlearn.net/search/アヒル

The Virtua Striker 2 website also uses the word アヒル. Curiously, it's written as though Bin and Bean are the same character, saying that Bean appeared in Dynamite Dux, Sonic the Fighters and Fighters Megamix.

In the 1996-05 issue of Sega Saturn Magazine, Hiroshi Kataoka says that Bean is not a woodpecker (キツツキ) but a creature called a ダイナイトダック dainaitodakku (dynite duck). As you can see, they messed up the transliteration of "dynamite", but I'm sure that the singular ダック rather than the plural ダックス is intentional (the official kana for the arcade game is ダイナマイトダックス).

(Additionally, in official material, I've only ever seen the game's title presented in English as Dynamite Dux, rather than Dynamite Düx. I don't think the U is officially supposed to have an umlaut, I think they were just being cute with the logo.)

It's complete bullshit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    I posted this in the Sonic The Fighters Prototype Screenshot thread:

[​IMG]

It shows an early look at Bean The Dynamite. Here he just has a Sonic-like side mouth, but in the final game it extends through his beak. The Next Match image stuff uses this original design.

But it makes me think - the way his beak changed later does make him more duck-like. I wonder if he started as a Woodpecker, but then they switched to a duck?

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Can I get a link to said thread?

Also, the AOU show mouth is a mouth common to other characters as well, so it might have been the finished texture at the time before deciding what Bean's final side-mouth would look like.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

We now return to our regular scheduled ducks/woodpeckers.

12. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    A little something I forgot to add until I looked at the disassembly again. Bean's animation names in debug mode are all prefixed with "BIN_" in Sonic the Fighters. Bark was referred to as "KMA_" or "Kuma".

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Pengi

Pengi

Is this on the wiki anywhere? If not, it would be useful to have all of this information.

To clarify, is Bark referred to as both "KMA_" and "Kuma", or are you just saying that "KMA_" is likely short for "Kuma"?

14. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    KMA_ is short for Kuma, and he is also refereed to as Kuma in other places. Yeah... There's other weird quirks tho so I just need to compile them all and put them in the "Development" section of the StF page.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Kuma is the Japanese word for "bear" so it would have likely been a placeholder designation than an actual name for the character.

In fact, there's already a "Kuma" in Tekken.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    To me, that beak always looks like a duck's; maybe not like Donald's or Daffy's, but round-ish instead of really pointy.

17. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Was flipping through SATURN FAN 1996 No. 14 that had been uploaded to Archive.org and spotted this:

https://archive.org/details/saturn-fan-1996-no.-14-7-5/page/198/mode/2up

[​IMG]

It asks "Why Bean?" and also mentioned kind of why he was included - that they kind of just wanted a Bird character since there really wasn't one.

Also noted that Dynamite Dux was programmed by Satoshi Mifune, who went on to program and produce the whole Virtua Striker series. So now it makes sense as to why Bean kept showing up in those games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    He's a woodpecker!

[​IMG]

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s my head canon that this wouldn’t be officially acknowledged if I hadn’t translated their move sets/profiles in that one thread years ago. Yes… I influenced The Canon!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List