don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah I’m not denying that Christian may not be involved, which is why I’m being cautiously optimistic.. I can’t explain why SEGA wouldn’t bring it up in Sonic Central, other than the announcement seemed rushed and they didn’t want to reveal too much since Colors Ultimate is coming out first.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Here's hoping a 'proper' reveal trailer on this will surface after Colours Ultimate launches, with actual footage from the collection and a proper logo/boxart etc. That should hopefully give us some of the info we've been wanting confirmation of. Until then, this thread's doomed to a cycle of questions and speculation on all but a few points.

3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I think Origins will get a proper reveal (gameplay footage, confirmation of who's developing it etc), once Colours Ultimate has been out for a while. So maybe in October.

Since Colours Ultimate has had a few tweaks to make the game easier for new fans (such as removing the lives system and adding the Tails Save feature), then I think there's a good chance Origins will also get an "easy mode". Lol if they add a Tails Save option. Maybe they'll also remaster the music in 1, 2, CD & 3K. Wouldn't expected full remixes like with some of the music in Mania, but perhaps up to the standard of Tee Lopes' Angel Island remix for Encore Mode:

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Tee had already remixed the main zone compositions for the first two games and some of Sonic 3 before being signed on for Mania... so I would love to see him come back and do this for the classics in an official capacity.. it would be one of those cool “life works in mysterious ways” moments (honestly idk if that’s the right term to use in this case but yeah.. basically going back to working on what got him recognized in the first place)

But… this is SEGA so… not sure if that will happen

5. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    You'll get your dumb stupid Tee Lopes soundtracks, but they're digital preorder exclusives.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I wouldn't be opposed. Fighting the final boss with zero rings is a dumb poopoo decision for bad people.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Full agreement on this specific point. The terms "artificial difficulty" and "unfair" are thrown around a bit too carelessly, but they definitely apply to the final bosses of S1 and S2 (and SK if you die after the DE2 regular boss) where the rules of the game are suddenly changed.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I wasn't even going that deep, it's just not fun to play at all. You're just taken out of the situation, either by constantly dying or constantly having paranoia about dying.

9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The rules of the game aren't changed though. Bosses are tests of skill, precision, endurance, etc. The final boss is the final test, and taking away the forgiving safety net of rings is a logical progression for the ultimate test. The player is supposed to improve as they conquer the game.

Personally I find the final bosses very fun. But I agree that there should probably be some sort of easy mode in this collection.

10. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I heard that was something the Easy Modes in Sonic Jam rectified, maybe those new level layouts should be ported into Origins.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    There should be an easy mode (and a hard mode) for amost Sonic game. It's never a conventional platforming game; people might have a hard time getting used to it, in whatever formula the game is.

12. I don't mind no rings for final boss for Sonic 1 or 3 (& Knuckles), but Sonic 2 definely should have at least one ring, because it can be very, very, very frustating with zero rings.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I knew someone was going to say this. The rules are changed. Everywhere else in the games, you are granted grace with the ring loss system, which means that you aren't expected to land every hit perfectly and that you can afford to experiment a bit with different strategies as you learn the mechanics. I still get a game over when fighting the S2 final boss as Knuckles because of how unforgiving it is. Chances are that almost any new player will game over on final bosses of the Classics a number of times before they perfect their strategy, because you have to start over from the beginning for the slightest mistake. Those aren't the rules elsewhere in the games; you're given the chance to collect any number of plentiful rings and you're only at risk of instant death because you've lost them.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It is frustrating, yes, but adding even 1 ring would make it go from "super goddamn tense" to "abuse mercy invincibility for an easy win". There's not really an in-between with Sonic.

15. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Yeah, the rules are exactly the same, there's just a steep difficulty increase. The ring system works the exact same, there just aren't any rings. A better example of rules being changed would be the Sky Canyon boss in Advance 2 that can kill you even if you have rings.

16. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    The best part of the sonic 1+2 hack was adding a few rings before the final bosses.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Sonic 2's ringless final boss would be way less frustrating if I didn't have to fight another boss again every time I fuck up. The tension is too high. A checkpoint after Sonic robot would do wonders, I think. Alleviate some of the excess tension without utterly trivializing the fight the way rings would (and do).

18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The rules are not changed. You just aren't given any rings. That's not changing any fundamental rules about how the game functions. The player already knows what happens when they get hurt with no rings, and those same rules apply in the final bosses. Like Vanishing Vision said, it's an increase in difficulty, but no rules are changing.

The Sonic 2 boss was not designed around Knuckles' sucky jump height, so that anecdote doesn't make a good argument.

Sonic Origins will undoubtedly have saves, so people getting a game over in Sonic 1 or 2 won't be nearly as big of a setback as it was in the original games. Easy mode or no, new players can just jump right back into the boss fight and try again after a game over if this is the case.

Adding a checkpoint between the Mecha Sonic fight and Eggman Mech fight for an easy mode is certainly a neat idea.

19. _Sidle

_Sidle

The final bosses are noticeably quite tame and slow compared to others you've faced already, possibly because you don't have that safety net of being able to autopilot and tank hits for eternity.
    • Scrap Brain/Final is absolute cake compared to Labyrinth
    • Robo Sonic and the Death Egg Robot when I'm not clipping through the tummy are both very easy to predict and plan in advance for, unlike Mystic Cave and Wing Fortress
    • Grand Eggman Robo doesn't stress me out nearly as much as Carnival Night 1 and Launch Base 1
    Getting through the final bosses damageless is obviously expected, and reasonably balanced for such an occasion. Some of those early bosses are quite the special hell if you're trying to get lives/continues early from the end-of-level Ring Bonus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I've always find S2 Metropolis boss quite hard.