don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Adding to what Blue Blood described, Sonic Simulator is also what I'd describe as yet another not-very-good attempt at adding cooperative multiplayer to Sonic gameplay. The level design and player speed don't really feel designed for an experience for two players (former is too large, and the latter is too fast); so the issue of players being easily left behind (and losing a life as a result) is still present. This is exacerbated by the odd "footstool" mechanic that knocks people downwards and stuns them everytime players interfere with each other during jumps/HAs. (It's kinda like what happens when people jump on top of each other in the NSMB games, but somehow more obnoxious.) The one thing I will give it is (unlike most Sonic games with co-op) the camera does pan in and out accommodate both players on screen, and there is a menu beforehand that allows you to alter the players' speed, but that's about it otherwise.

It's an odd thing in that where with most of the levels being 2D and being more precision focused for platforming, you would think it would be more palatable for co-op than other attempts due to the slower-paced focus. But trying to play the Sonic Simulator with two players just accentuates the clunky gameplay going on there more than anything else. You're better off either doing the mode in single player entirely, or using the 1.5 mode, which is pretty much the "Tails' co-op" in the Genesis games--a second player can step in to assist every now and then and whatever deaths they have is negligible to the broader performance/progression (since in 2P mode, both players have their own lives and ring system).

All I can envision from Sonic Simulation getting online multiplayer support is the netcode (assuming it's not programmed very well) amplifying those problems even moreso. Input lag and/or spotty connections on top of everything I've already described?...can't even imagine the outcome.

But hey--despite all of Sonic Simulator's problems, I do like the chiptune music remixes made for the mode! The Planet Wisp and Terminal Velocity covers are my favorites.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    New video with a better look at dem new graffix, Metal Sonic races, customization, etc.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Game looks good. I’m definitely buying it. Customizable controls is something that makes me extra happy.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The customisations options are definitely interesting, I hope they'll make their way to Sonic Rangers.
    edit: wish they'd showed some remixed tracks and the customisable controls menu tho, instead of completely unrelated gameplay. I'm curious to see if we'll be able to drift and quickstep manually this time around.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    I feel so vindicated because I’ve been patiently waiting for some newer footage before commenting on this game. It looks absolutely splendid imo, and that Planet Wisp remix is a complete jam! It’s probably the work of Kenichi Tokoi, since he did compose the original after all.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Customisable controls is a great feature, especially since previous gameplay footage suggested that they had just blindly copied the button mappings of the Wii Classic Controller with no thought given to the actual ergonomics. I hope that Rangers and all future Sonic games will include customisable controls. It'll suck for people to get used to their preferred mappings for this game and then have them stripped away in the next one.

I'm still not impressed by the visuals. Looks better than the initial trailer, but it still doesn't look great. You still can see a huge seam vertical running across the background at 0:29.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I couldn't tell if that seam was a seam or some random light because it ends eventually, but it's probably a seam.

Really those texture glitches and Sonic pupils not moving for some reason (Like they did in the original have they failed to notice that or what?) are my biggest issues so far. Nice seeing the Metal Sonic race mode, seems like they chose the more actual levels than the gimmick ones for the races so if that's the case then perfect, we don't need to race metal in those levels you can beat in 30 seconds.

But overall I'm liking this. I look forward to playing through colors again.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm definitely buying it when my money allows me to.

9. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I wonder if the Metal Sonic races are a way to get the original datamined two-act structure's full levels accessible without scrapping the segmented six act structure that ended up in the finished product. Might be a little much to ask, but that's what comes to mind when they talk about a mode specifically for increased challenge...

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That'd be an excellent kind of best of both worlds approach for the acts. I'd love if we had proper length acts in Colors.

Also I look forward to someone inevitably making Metal Sonic playable on the PC version. Although there was a 5th tab on the customization screen they didn't show. That could just be for like, player icons and stuff but who knows? It'd be cool if they surprised us with like extra characters for skins.

11. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

"Increased challenge" will probably mean removing the wisps so you cant trivialize the races by skipping half the level.

Less effort than stitching the levels together to be more fun.

12. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I’m not trying to be a hater because I will end up buying the game but I think it would’ve been better if they just left the lighting alone. Furthermore, when are we going to be able to play as characters other than Sonic that’s not a dlc, or “rookie”? Multiple Characters do add replay value.

13. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Funny, I remember Colours looking way better, when I played it on HDTV with Component cables.

Game looks okay, but a bit too bright in some areas. Metal Sonic is a welcome addition, and customisable options... Well why not.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Meh. If you'll pardon my negativity, they've yet to reveal anything that makes me want this. The additions are all feel superfluous and fail to address my biggest gripes with Colors -- the bland levels and the forced gimmick acts.

I'll probably wait and see if modders manage to restore the full acts. Only then I may buy this.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The most offensive thing about Ultimate is the Baby Sonic keychain bonus

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

In the second clip they show, you can see the Blue Coins associated with the Blue Cube Wisp, so they're probably not removing the Wisps. (At least, I couldn't see them doing that completely? I don't know that seems like it'd be a strange change, plus Super Sonic already does that)

That being said, I'm not expecting them to recombine the acts either, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only levels you can race Metal on are "main" ones.

Anyway, it's very cool to see a trailer with actual info on what's changed, & with gameplay of nearly all of the game's zones to boot. Hoping they'll do at least a couple more of these, but I guess it's not super far till release anyway. Speaking of which, I do wonder when those shorts are gonna drop, I'm super excited for those!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Yeah, I think the races against Metal Sonic will be only on the main stages too. And I bet they will not merge the stages for any mode.

The increased challenge probably means it is hard enough to beat Metal Sonic, he must be actually fast and doesn't forgive too many mistakes.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @SuperSonicRider Blue Cube Rings still appeared when Super Sonic was activated in the Wii version, so it's not a sign that Wisps will definitely be deactivated for Rival Rush.

19. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    Hallelujah!

20. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP