don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Did he said that? Could you provide me the source, please?

2. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    He stated it on an April edition of his pocast.

He starts talking about it at 18:15.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Thank you. If I was there I would have asked him "is the creator of the emeralds someone we know?".

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Honestly, I don't want them to say where the Chaos Emeralds come from. I think they work best as mysterious gemstones with no defined origin, they just always were.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Yeah, I don't want it too. But I would like to know about the Master Emerald.

6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It's sad, that the lore of first Adventure game is almost non existent in new games. I want a game that explores Knuckles Past, or at least shows us what happened before Chaos wrath.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Chronicles attempted that.
    We know the result... ^^'

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Something really cool that unfortunately didn't get to explain itself further.

From time to time I'll do a bunch of digging back for old interviews and stuff regarding Chronicles, and in one, one of the guys in charge said they'd already considered what the next one could've been about, and claimed that they'd already planted the seeds for it in the first game (Was it the Argus Event / Nestor the Wise subplot that every single sidequest in the Twilight Cage revolved around?)

I really hope we get to see and hear about more stuff from development eventually, maybe higher res versions of the advertisements and the dev diary are out there, and maybe I should just make something talking about the stuff from my "research" lol.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

Stuff capable of triggering further curiosity could always be welcome ^^

10. Pengi

Pengi

The echidnas likely built the Hidden Palace Zone emerald altar, but the Sonic Adventure emerald altar had nothing to do with the Knuckles tribe, that was land protected by Chaos. Who made it is a mystery.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Why do we consider games released for handheld platforms canonical but not mobile games?

Sonic Jump (2005), Sonic Runners {story mode only} and Sonic Runners Adventure all have plots.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Ease, mostly. Those games are also going to disappear one day, once servers shut down.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Runners fits perfectly between Generations and Lost World because of the wisps. The others could be placed anywhere though.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Runners is also directly developed by Sonic Team which already puts it far ahead of any of the GG games in terms of canonicity as far as the modern franchise goes.

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Runners explains continuity issues such as why Knuckles leaves the Master Emerald and why the Wisps still hand about. In my book, it's definitely canon.

Sonic Jump (the original on Java phones) also has a story revolving around the Brainwash Beam. This was renamed the Mind Control Ray in Colors, but it seems to be the introduction of it, so it's probably canon too.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    My only problem is Sonic Runners is no longer publicly available, so I'm not sure of it's status any more.

Also, doesn't it focus on Sonic's birthday? That would mean it has to take place a full year before or after Sonic Generations.

EDIT: Just checked, Yacker is involved. So since Sonic Colours leads directly into Sonic Generations, Sonic Runners takes place a full year after Sonic Generations... post-Sonic Forces, then, to account for the other adventures between and Sonic Forces' six month stint?

Also makes Sonic 18 years old...

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I personally don’t think that's an issue, because lots of Sonic games are no longer available (e.g. Secret Rings is no longer publicly available unless you get it second hand).

And Sonic Team do have an interesting habit of making side titles pivotal to the plot. E.g. Rivals didn’t even get a release in Japan, and yet it's the canon introduction of Silver (because 06 was wiped out). And once the PSP store shuts down, it too will no longer be publicly available unless you get it second hand.

Runners is a bit like a TV show, with lots of episodes. The birthday special was one episode. The other episodes are unrelated to his birthday.

I think Runners probably goes after Lost World, because the Deadly Six later appear in a special episode.

I also think Sonic's birthday works like in The Simpsons, where they just have them whenever, but a year doesn't pass and the characters don’t age.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed, but that means they're still available in some form. I can't go buy a second hand copy of Sonic Runners.

Eh, if I had to put it in, I'd put it post-Sonic Forces to allow for the birthday issue to be resolved. If the next Sonic the Hedgehog game doesn't refer to anything in particular between games, like Sonic Generations did to Sonic Colours, I'd put the next one after Sonic Runners.

My only concern is if I need to establish a new era for them, if only so I can simply add onto that rather than constantly changing that Wave Ocean background on my current timeline...

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Well, kind of. You can download the fan revitalisation. Although, I do take your point that Sonic Team might feel that the game is no longer available, so they might disregard it. But because they used it to resolve things, I think they probably are wedded to it.

Sonic Runners Adventure (which is still available) seems to continue the plot, as Eggman brings back the mind control ray (although he also used that in Colours so its inconclusive). Although there is one inconsistency with the original Sonic Runners Adventure, as Sonic can now talk to the animal friends (where as in the original Runners he can't). So I don’t know if that inconsistency is an error, or Sonic Team treating Runners as no longer relevant.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Might be since Sonic Team didn't make Sonic Runners Adventure, Gameloft did?