don't click here

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania (10/5/2021)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/super-monkey-ball-new-game-leak/amp/

Looks like a new Monkey Ball is on the way. With any luck it takes more after 1 and 2, while also taking some of the lessons of newer marble/thing in Ball games (examples: controllable camera and scrap the lives system). Will they learn their lesson after the meh reception of Banana Blitz HD? Time will tell.

Also is there really a chance we get 2 Monkey Ball games before another Sonic game? The hell is going on over at Yakuza/Persona publishing

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  2. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    There's been rumors for a while that the next game would be returning to the classic style of gameplay from the first two games. If true, seems they changed the name during development from "Super Monkey Ball Retro".

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Some leaks related to this can be found on Twitter, so I'm guessing an announcement is now imminent.

I'm not au fait with Monkey Ball myself - one of those series I always meant to check out but never quite got around to - but
    folks who are seem to have identified returning courses from Monkey Ball 1 & 2, suggesting it may be a remaster/remake of some kind

Make of that what you will.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yesssssss they're remaking the good ones hopefully. I can't wait to see this in action.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Sega seems to like the Mania subtitle for games with returning levels.

EDIT: It's a remake of Deluxe.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is officially a thing, and yes, a remaster/remake/something of Super Monkey Ball Deluxe.

So a remake of a psuedo-compilation containing an update and a sequel to that update.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    For the record I am absolutely fine with this. THIS is the game they should have done first not fucking Banana Blitz. It's weird seeing the modern style applied to the older boards though, like a weird hybrid

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably just means Super Monkey Ball Deluxe but to those who aren't aware of it's existence (I feel like that game was hard to find), ya 1 and 2 also, which are already in Deluxe. But also means it probably doesn't include any newer game stages. Why bother though? I'm hoping there's no jump button in this game btw (or if it's there allow it in some kinda easy mode idk)

Weren't Deluxe's new levels those from a scrapped Super Monkey Ball 3?

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Keep in mind, like with Banana Blitz HD, this will likely have new music as well to go with that new coat of paint. The early 2000s CG style and accompanying music will keep me coming back to the originals, but we'll see how the newer style intersects with the old levels.

We got a website.
    And a collector's edition.
    And Classic Sonic and Classic Tails have been leaked.

I think this is the first time that specifically Generations-model Classic Tails has been playable in anything official. So that's something.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Classic-styled skins for all the Monkey Ball characters also seem to be a thing, though so far they've only been revealed as part of the Digital Deluxe edition. Hopefully they'll be available in some way for folks who've bought the physical version too.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think it's just because it sounds better. It's not immediately obvious that Super Monkey Ball Deluxe has all the content from 1 and 2 - neither GameCube game is mentioned in the marketing, and the content is "combined" it all into one game. Unless you're familiar with the GameCube versions, you won't know where 1 ends and 2 begins. You might not even know it's a compilation!

It would be curious to see the sales figures on Super Monkey Ball Deluxe compared to the GameCube titles. Dual format + more content vs. GameCube launch title that caters better for the Nintendo audience. It must have sold reasonably well - I own two copies for some reason, but whenver the subject comes up, the internet gravitates towards the GameCube entries.

13. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

There are only two things I'm really hoping for:
    1. We can play the original stages as they were in the original game. Let play the original runs through beginner, advanced, expert, and master instead of only letting us play through the bloated marathon runs of Deluxe. Hopefully, jumping (which seems to be present?) can be disabled.
    2. Competition Mode comes back and can be played on every stage.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup, which means we finally get to see how they'd attempt animations for Classic Tails in 3D. They've recycled Classic Sonic's animations since Generations, but they can't do that here.

15. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Count me as one of those people lol. Honestly, it's a good step in the right direction that the franchise should take. I haven't played too much of the original games myself (We kids were far more interested in the arguably more fun and "less hard" Monkey Target), but after playing 3D in 2013, I was kinda disappointed at how simplistic it had become. I know more diehard fans were hoping for more challenging gameplay as well, so the fact that they're probably testing the waters with this remake is a good sign imo.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You can turn off jumping. Separate leaderboards too.

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    So the classic characters/classic soundtrack etc. bonuses advertised as part of the Digital Deluxe edition are now confirmed to be available as DLC for folks who've purchased the physical or regular digital copies of the game. So no reason to hold back on getting the physical edition for fear of missing out on content! Phew! = )

18. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

This remaster collection is shaping up to be a really pleasant surprise. I used to play the GC games incessantly, to the point that I could play through the arcade mode without a single death. It'll be interesting to see just how much my muscle memory would hold up in this collection's physics engine.

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    So it seems a Photo Mode has been added to this remaster, complete with the ability to change the facial expressions of your character - will be interesting to see what expressions are available for classic Sonic/Tails! The video in the link also gives a good look at the DLC 'classic' Aiai skin.

I've never played Monkey Ball, but as you may have guessed from my increasing levels of engagement in this topic I'm really liking what I'm seeing here. It seems like a lot of love has gone into this game, and there's a great amount of content to boot - I also keep hearing the games it's remastering are generally considered the best in the series. Y'all think it'd be a good starting point for a Monkey Ball novice?

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It's literally THE starting point! :V