don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So, how inferior will the Switch Version be, compared to PS4/PS5?

I suppose a stable 30 FPS and 1080p docked would be possible?

2. Frostav

Frostav

If they cannot get a Wii game to run at 60FPS I will be legitimately stunned. It isn't like the remade visuals are PS4/PS5 quality either.

Colors and Forces (it's like 7/8ths boost, the classic stages are miniscule) demonstrates that this is basically impossible without ever padding the game with blocky 2D stages (Colors) or being hilariously short (Forces).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The fact that this is gonna run on Switch at all is pretty impressive (as well as the fact that they implemented all this junk in the first place) https://twitter.com/dariosamo/status/1399460714507608073

Despite being a "Wii Game", they aren't using the same technology. It'd be somewhat like saying the Pocket Edition version of Minecraft should be able to run on 3ds without concessions.

4. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Yeah, from my understanding, it's running on Hedgehog Engine 2?

I don't know how Forces runs, if I remember correctly it's stable 30 FPS? I'm shocked that even Sonic 2022 will get a switch port.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Colours Ultimate definitely is not running on any form of the Hedgehog Engine. I think that there are indications that it's likely running on an the open-source Godot engine or an adaptation thereof. I think this has been gleaned from LinkedIn profiles the above. Can't practically find a source right now however.

Forces runs at a 30fps in Switch. A stable 30fps according to Digital Foundry, but it comes at the cost of a massive visual downgrade. From the product description on various retailer websites, it looks like only the PS4 and XB1 versions will run at 60fps. And they get enhanced 4K resolutions on next-gen platforms. The Switch version is definitely going to be the worst way to play.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That 30 FPS for Forces is for both handheld AND docked?? If that’s the case then thank God I pre-ordered Colors Ultimate for the PS4 (I still have my Forces PS4 copy unopened so I haven’t played it yet; maybe someday :V)

You would think that performance would boost (lame pun lol) to 60 FPS as long as the system is docked (even if the visuals would be downgraded) but that really sucks

7. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I'm not honestly. A Sonic release will never skip a Nintendo console, it hasn't since Sonic 06. And even then for every Sonic game that couldn't be on a Nintendo console, there are like 2 Nintendo exclusive Sonic games to make up for it.

8. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Still, the game releases in 2022 on both PS5 and Switch. While I believe it to be mainly designed for PS4, the visual downgrades are going to be huge.

But hey, Witcher 3 ran pretty well on Switch, all things considered. If Sonic 2022 runs as well, I suppose I would enjoy it on the go.

Yeah, I know it's Sega, Switch port is probably going to be... Lacking.

9. shilz

shilz

Dario's thread (the tweet I linked is a part of it) is essentially all the evidence it's in Godot we have to go off of. the Artstation video in a godot viewer, and notes about an open-source engine being ported to the major platforms.

The 30fps thing sounds like such a non-issue, yet people seem to be making a big deal out of it. I'd be more concerned if they halved the texture and effect resolution (like they did for Forces), I'd prefer texture fidelity over a few extra images flashing in a second, half of them you don't even see (especially since people played the Switch version of Forces and then wondered why everything looked muddy as shit, it's just a better thing to prioritize).
    Assuming the New Switch's 4k thing works for everything ever released for the console, that'll solve that for people wanting 4k.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd not; gameplay > visuals. If there's a type of game that benefits from 60 FPS it's fast-paced action games like Sonic. When I play the PS3 version of Generations (30FPS), the difference is day and night compared to the PC version (60FPS). Far less fluid, and the controls don't feel anywhere near as tight and responsive.

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Good lord yeah, 60 fps is so incredibly important for Sonic it's not even funny.
    Granted the original Colours w̶a̶s̶ wasn't designed with 60 fps in mind, so it won't be as unplayable as Forces was on the Switch... but still. The Xbox and Playstation version will definitely be the superior way to play the game.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @SuperSnoopy I think you mean "wasn't"? To my knowledge Colours ran at 30 on the Wii too.

13. shilz

shilz

Gotta be honest... either Unleashed or Gens never felt particularly "responsive" no matter how you played it. Arguably Colors felt more responsive originally... if a game is gonna feel good, then it's gonna feel good by how the characters and objects actually move in the code, not how many pictures of that movement you see. At least how I see it.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, that's what I meant. My bad :V
    That's... not how it works tho. More frames mean a more fluid game because there's less input lag, it doesn't have anything to do with the way the game is coded.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It can be mitigated by the game's design but ultimately, higher FPS = higher responsiveness

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I know someone who's buying Colours Ultimate simply because it's 60fps, he doesn't care about the increased detailing on the graphics.

17. Nova

Nova

Colours in HD is enough alone for me but the fact it's 60fps too is icing on the cake.

Unleashed next please

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If you own a current Xbox and play Unleashed on it that's basically already Unleashed Ultimate.

Pretty damn flawless finally, real damn shame the best you can do I'm assuming on the PS5 is playing it via Playstation now and there you're essentially running it in a remote PS3 emulator, so you get all the original lag with none of the dlc and the potential for connection errors.

You know an Unleashed Ultimate would be good, if only so the DLC will be included from the start.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    The Xbox Series' kindness to Unleashed is definitely appreciated, but even then it still maxes out at 30. Definitely an improvement, but man I want that full 60 for that game, warts and all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    You're probably more likely to see that from emulation at this point. Unleashed is basically entirely playable on RPCS3 (and I believe the PS3 version has an unlocked framerate?) and Xenia has been making progress towards most levels not crashing, if I recall correctly.