don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
  2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Wait. I guess I never really understood the chronology of events.

At the end of Shadow's story, is Mephiles actually defeated? And only after that does he start fooling Silver?
    So is this why, as BlackHole pointed out, Mephiles was busy fighting Shadow and that prevented him from merging with Iblis after the plane crash?

Maybe Iblis was already too strong to be sealed in the same way he had been before, in Elise's body, so did Blaze go to another dimension so there was no risk of Iblis escaping and destroying everything again?

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Apparently Blaze now remembers, during the events of Generations. Maybe everyone remembers now? I don't see why would she remember and not Silver. Both went to Crisis City during Generations.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Did I ever get around to checking that quote in Japanese, since they keep changing aspects around?

I'll have to have a dig later.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Don't think so.

In any case, I'll just put the quote here (in English) in case anyone wants to see:

6. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    This doesn’t actually make any sense either since Sonic doesn’t know him in Rivals.

Blaze remembering Crisis City also can’t work because she doesn’t remember Silver when they meet again in Colors DS (or TSR I think?).

The 2006 and the time/dimension problems it causes are completely impossible to reconcile without picking one event and deciding to ignore it. Stuff like NPC dialogue in Generations and flavor dialogue in TSR both seem easy to disregard though IMO. But really even within 2006 itself the plot is messed up, so the more they ignore its events the better.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Or he's just making sure Silver is Silver. Don't wanna call him Silver and the timeline change has turned him into Venice the Hedgehog instead.

But fair.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Do you know which bit of Team Sonic Racing that clip is from? Thanks!

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I think this is from Sonic Racing, the mobile game. Not the main Team Sonic Racing.

EDIT: I was wrong, it's really TSR.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Or... Sonic and Blaze remembered 06 during their mission together in Generations' Crisis City. Not before that, not sometime after that. Right there.

But why didn't Silver remembered it when he fought Sonic in Generations' Crisis City? I don't know.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well, it's got the Haunted Castle in the background, and iirc those quotes only appear in the story mode. I'd say 4-5 and will see if there's a Japanese YouTube video with it or if we can set the language to Japanese on our versions like you can with Sonic Adventure.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I think the moment is this at 29:41:

13. I thought Blaze's memories being retained were already explained in this very thread?

Since she sent herself to "dimension 2", she wasn't affected when Sonic reset the timeline in "dimension 1".

Am I missing something?

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Depends on interpretation, since I have Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) first, thus she would have known him in Sonic Rush.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

In Colors DS Blaze and Silver fight together and Silver feels like they've formed a duo before. Blaze doesn't say anything about it, which suggests she didn't remember actually forming a duo with him.

silver blaze colors.png

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    To forget 06 exists is one thing, to *only* forget Sonic exists while having the history with Silver remain is another.
    This, although Sonic and and Elise seem to only have a vague recollection of the bond itself, similar to how Blaze and Silver's bond ends up depicted.
    It just doesn't line up any way you put it if she does remember *something*, during or after 06. She remembers Sonic during 06, then there's no reason for Silver to be fucking with him, cause she would have the impression Sonic's a p. cool guy and put a stop to it as soon as Sonic's name is mentioned. if Blaze remembers her bond with Silver entirely and who Sonic is, there's no reason for her to lose trust in friends, and for any conflict to occur with her and Sonic butting heads to alternating button presses.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

It's very difficult to know what the developers wanted when they shoved Blaze into the game. Did they want to erase Rush from the canon and do a retcon on Blaze's origin? Did they want to make 06 a prequel to Rush? Did they want to do a retcon on the Sol Dimension and say this was the future and not another dimension? I never understood. But the main thing is to analyze what we have, and not what we could have had.

The phrase "Blue hedgehog..." is quite vague by itself. She might have said this because she remembered a blue hedgehog, but she might have said it because she didn't remember any and was just wondering. The voice clip that was cut from the final version of the game (posted by Hitlersaurus Christ) suggests that she knew Sonic, but the fact is, the voice clip was cut. I think it's possible to say that the developers thought about making Blaze recognize Sonic, but not that this undoubtedly holds true for the final version of the game.

So we have 4 possibilities here:

1) 06 comes after Rush, and Sonic and Blaze remember each other;
    2) 06 comes after Rush, but Sonic and Blaze don't remember each other;
    3) 06 comes before Rush, and Blaze comes from the future and is taken to the Sol Dimension at the end of 06;
    4) 06 comes before Rush, and Blaze was taken from the Sol Dimension into the future before the beginning of 06.

Hypothesis 1 makes the events of 06 make no fucking sense. At some point Sonic should ask what the hell Blaze was doing there. At some point Blaze should tell Silver that she knows Sonic and he's a nice guy.

Hypothesis 2 is somewhat possible, but there is no explanation for Sonic and Blaze not remembering each other after Rush. In Rush Adventure, Sonic mentions the events of Rush (thinking Blaze hadn't returned to the Sol Dimension). So, that doesn't make sense.

Hypothesis 3 is theoretically possible. However, the game's promotional materials (posted by BlackHole) say that Blaze protected the Sol Emeralds. As Rush Adventure goes back to claiming that the Sol Emeralds belong to the Sol Dimension, I think that one can be ruled out as well.

Hypothesis 4 is the only one that can be supported. Blaze was taken from the Sol Dimension into the future (similar to what happened in Colors DS) and met Silver there, but didn't know Sonic yet. At the end of 06, everything is reset including Blaze going to the future. Then comes Sonic Rush, and Sonic and Blaze meet for the first time for the second time.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  18. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    But her not remembering Sonic in 06 would make her being shocked that there’s a blue hedgehog and later being worried about it make no sense either.

It’s an unsolvable plot problem.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

But she was not shocked. She was not yelling blue hedgehog??? or something, she was thoughtful. Well, at least in english dub her tone was thoughtful.

What was this "later being worried about" part? I don't remember it.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It was in my post, but the original line as written in the Japanese script was punctuated with ?! as if she’s shocked.
    The animation and line delivery looks more like she’s suspicious or curious, but she’s definitely reacting strongly to the words “blue hedgehog.”

The time she brings it up again later is the intro to Wave Ocean when she asks if it could be true. Her idle quote about Sonic is in that level and is specifically referencing the intro quote.