don't click here

Sonic Anniversary Symphony going worldwide

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by grantpa, Jun 23, 2021.

1. If you didn't watch it live, the whole show is available here:

The medleys from the orchestra were gorgeous, Ohtani's band really rocked, and Crush 40 were their usual selves but overall I thought this was a great show. Major credit to the organizers of this event, and shout-out to NateWantsToBattle for getting to do an official Sonic thing.

Edit — I almost forgot to mention one of the biggest surprises of the show, the announcement that Dreams Come True is releasing a new version of the GHZ theme with lyrics on July 7th. Whaaaat!?

Anyway! What did you think of the show?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I went in expecting to simply enjoy myself. The end result was absolutely phenomenal however, and far exceeded my expectations. I love that the first half was a very palatable orchestrated symphony from the series' history that anyone could enjoy, and the second half was diving deep into the Sonic's signature sound with vocal themes and rock. Getting the orchestra involved with live performances was a great idea. It was just fantastic. The deep cuts like NiGHTS or Sunset Park Act 3 were especially appreciated. And Christ, that remix of Reach for the Stars by Ohtani and his band was incredible.

A stellar showing all round. I only wish SEGA had ended with an encore performance of the theme for the 2022 game. That would have been amazing. But ending on Live and Learn? Yeah, the perfect choice really. Such a wonderful love letter to the fans, the series and the crew. Fucking ace.

3. Yeah it really blew me away too! Either hour would've felt like a complete experience on its own, but both halves combined formed a Sonic 3 & Knuckles of jamming out. The NiGHTS surprise was huge, and I was certainly not expecting the Game Gear titles to get a medley.

4. I had a blast watching it! Didn't catch it from the beginning and kept having to leave the room, so I'll likely give it another watch later.

5. JuiceCake

JuiceCake

Nickname: Kolix Member
    It was intressting how they orginized and planned the preformance
    Both viewing the slower and faster melodicly builed tracks both from the Genesis era, but also up to Forces
    Howerver, they also show Sonic's more "Rocky" tracks, showing us the full range how the the franchise can go with their music collection of OSTs, from the games alone

And it suprised me after the half way point, but also the Sonic Unleashed section. It was shocking how accurate the preformance sound is compared to the orginal compositions.
    Just somthing I thought was cool

Overall, it was more then I wanted, kinda something we didn't deserve. It was just awesome putting another mark over the timeline that I won't forget in a very, very long time
    Alot of nostialgia goosebumps was also present

6. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I genuinely smiled like an idiot during certain points of the symphony :)

I actually didn't intend to watch it, but I did and it was preeeeeeeety good.

I really enjoyed the remixes of Colors' opening and ending themes. May be a stretch, but I wish THESE were included in Ultimate.

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    From what I've seen across the fandom, the feelings on this are mutual

Just pure joy and happiness across the board, really nice to see Sonic fans all unanimously enjoy something for once haha

The orchestra was amazing, Tomoya Ohtani band were great and of course Crush 40 was pure hype as always lol.

I hope there'll be a Sonic Symphony 2 someday!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I have to say the only thing I disliked about the whole event was Jonny Gioeli being awkward to watch. Great to listen to him dgmw, but watching him stare into the camera for minutes on end was... uncomfortable. The guy needs a stage and an audience. He's clearly a performer, so a mic and a camera in a booth just isn't enough for his big personality.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    It was beautiful! It nearly brought this grown man to tears. Some of the later songs I didn't recognize because I've never played those games, but just the fact that the thing was happening at all was simply incredible!

Johnny Gioeli singing "Sonic Boom" made. My. Day. That whole rendition was 10/10, but the harmonies with the key-change towards the end gave me actual goosebumps.

As Blue Blood said, I went in simply expecting to enjoy and was blow THEE FUCK away.

It was also great seeing the Game Gear titles get some love.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Has anyone made timestamps for the notable moments? I watched a good chunk of it but missed some important pieces.

11. Whoops, didn't noticed this thread was made! But as I said in another thread, was really surprised to see games like Sonic 1 for GG / MS, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Jam and even Tails' Adventure getting a tribute. Really phenomenal.

12. Not sure best how to share it with you but yes if you scroll down a little bit on the YouTube page, one of the top comments has timestamps for each song.

Edit: Here's a link!

13. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Loved it! The Chao intermission was cute and was cool to see Nakamura announce a new cover of the GHZ theme by Dreams Come True. I wonder if it's just going to be the "Marry Me?" song they released in the 90's (which already has the same melody as GHZ) with a modern sound or an all-new thing?

Wish there was more Sonic 3 songs during that medley but eh... I kinda expected that to be brief.

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I've got myself fangirling when Studiopolis started to play.

15. jbr

jbr

Wow, I've only watched the first half so far but I LOVED it. I know we can be very cynical about Sega on this forum, but honestly, they did a great job. They found something that unites the fans (i.e. the music) and put on something special which genuinely celebrated the whole franchise, even obscure games that only the hardcore fans would know (did I spot Tail's Adventure?!?). A brilliant way to mark the occasion, well done and thank you Sega!

16. Wraith

Wraith

Framing the orchestra and the rock band as two different parts of Sonic's legacy and having the come together at the end was beautiful.

After thinking SA2 had gotten snubbed for a good hour, it was really funny and genuinely hype inducing realizing they were just recreating the entire game's narrative structure up to and including it's climax. It genuinely reminded me of all the insane finales for Sonic games from Doomsday Zone onward.

Everyone did an amazing, job, but a particular shout out goes to Ohtani's band for being the highlight. I hope this isn't the last we see of them. They were great together.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  17. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    Every single medley took me back to a particular moment in my life, from my childhood to my adulthood.

I felt emotional listening to all of them, but Unleashed medley really made me cry :D

I hope they release it as an album!

Thank you, Sonic, for being part of my life for exactly 30 years <3

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That Chao intermission? They used a mod for that. I never would have imagined seeing a mod used in an official stream.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  19. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    Oh my goodness! That Reach For the Stars rendition in particular *chefs kiss*

20. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

That's a big thing that I love about Sega over Nintendo to this day.