don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Unfortunately I’m doubtful it’ll amount to anymore than an Easter egg, especially since he’s a comic original character, but we shall see!

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So I got the A cover and the RI-A Spaziante cover from my shop. The comic is really good. Not sure how much I like the B cover though. However, the RI-B 1:25 variant by Tyson Hesse looks great but the fact that it's already going for like $100 on ebay makes my soul wither because I really want it.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    @Boxer Hockey Don't suppose a version of your cover exists without the paper tear effect? Frankly, I'd love to own this as a poster in the future if that ever becomes something SEGA decides to distribute.

4. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'm debating whether to go buy this today or wait until August to get the "Free Comic Book Day" edition. (I don't like spending money when I don't have to :V)

5. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

The FCBD edition is not going to include everything that the actual paid version does. It'll be a small sample of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Oh, I didn't read that anywhere. Is that common? I don't normally follow modern comics.

7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Yeah. Usually the FCBD is either a small snippet of an issue or it's a smaller original story. But usually it's a sample. It's meant to get you to read the actual issues. There are some times where FCBD issues will be full reprints like in 2009 I think there was an FCBD reprint of the 1st issue of Mirage TMNT. But that's the only time that really comes to mind. But usually with something like this, especially something that came out 2 months prior, it will just be a snippet. I'll still get the FCBD version though just to have it for fun.

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    So I went to one of two comic shops in my area... and they didn't have it. The owner said that today's delivery was short of like half the comics they were supposed to get, and this was one that was missing from the delivery. I went to the other shop and thankfully they had it. Got the A cover as well as the RI-A Spaz cover. Haven't read it yet.

9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Normally there's one cover I like way more than the other, but these were both really good. Ultimately went with B.

I fell way behind on my reading, so I used the anniversary as an excuse to catch up. I always love how many easter eggs they jam in, especially when they
    called out Pontaff on writing Baldy McNosehair.
    It's also nice to not see anything near as bleak as the metal virus arc.

10. Pengi

Pengi

Just to clarify, so people know what they're getting.

Sonic the Hedgehog: 30th Anniversary Special contains three stories: Seasons of Chaos, Sonic Learns to Drive and Dr. Eggman's Birthday.
    https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/sonic-the-hedgehog-30th-anniversary-special/

Free Comic Book Day 2021 Sonic the Hedgehog: 30th Anniversary contains one story: Amy's New Hobby.

It also features "Race to the Empire". Since the writing on this segment is credited to editor David Mariotte with art by "Various", it's probably a recap of the main series, using existing art (the solicitation says "Plus, fun extras to catch readers up on Sonic's ongoing adventures, on the road to issue 50!"). This year's Free Comic Book Day is Saturday 14 August 2021.
    https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/APR210027

Sonic the Hedgehog 30th Anniversary Celebration: The Deluxe Edition (the hardcover book) should contain all four stories and some bonus material. This is due for release October 2021.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's going to be a book? Excellent, there was no way I was going to be able to get this as comics.

12. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I just reread the Chao Races arc, and now I'm curious.
    Starlline is probably going to do some cloning. I wonder if Sega Mandates allows it, but why else would he need Tails fur? Seeing as Ian mimics certain things from Archie days, I wonder if we are getting Evil versions of the characters.

To support my theory, at the same page where he's holding Tails fur, we see some test tubes.

13. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    If the dreaded evil Sega Mandates didn't allow it, we wouldn't be building up to whatever we're building up to in the first place.

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Interestingly, Ian said on a recent BumbleKast (a June one but I don’t exactly recall which), that we shouldn’t worry too much about two worlds, and that’s all he can say for now.

Now, this is, officially speaking for the sake of not misrepresenting what Ian said, speculation on my part, but I reckon SEGA’s finally gotten the damn message and is walking back that ridiculous aspect. Hoping it helps lead to a much more diverse and full world like what Archie had going for it, even post-reboot.

I know there aren’t really any notable human characters to use outside of Eggman that we’d really be excited for (unless somebody here *really* likes the G.U.N. commander), but it’s nice to see nevertheless, and hopefully opens the door for repeal on other issues the fandom has, like Shadow’s bastardised characterisation.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Hopefully. To be fair, I've yet to get that far in the book myself, but the sounds of it aren't great.

On a different note, the first volume of the IDW Collection is out now. My copy came today and I finished reading through it a bit ago. I imagine it's fairly pointless for those keeping up with issues or trade paperbacks as it doesn't have any extras, but if anyone out there is more of a casual reader like me who just wants the issues in a nice presentation it's an easy recommendation from me. The hardback alone feels better than anything I've ever picked up from the Archie Sonic runs back in the day. I can't wait for the next one.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Does Ian mention comics specifically, or is it somehow connected to games?

Man, I wish Sega would let the Man write scripts to Sonic games. His stories ain't perfect, but he knows his Sonic and writes good characters.

Shadow in IDW is just plain terrible, but I see Ian trying to sneak some hints about his true nature. It's sad, really. Such a great character back in the day, ended as a true Edgelord.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm sure they'll be trying to just make it quieter, but still present. Gotta keep them humans out.

But hey, if my whinging about it has managed to eject a terrible concept... I must only use these powers for evil.

19. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I read the 30th anniversary special. I'm surprised I ended up enjoying it as much as I did. I'm not big on the Classic Sonic aesthetic. Tonally, the first story reminded me a bit of the OVA and the last of Adventures. The second was just funny and I thought it was cool some of the references they snuck in the art.

20. Pengi

Pengi

Ian follwed up on that in the July 5th 2021 episode (37m 40s):

When Ian asked about the situation with Angel Island in Sonic Adventure and other games, how it went from the human world to Sonic's world to the human world again, he was told it was "by a miracle".

Ian then follows with "Once again, I can't get into details right now, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that kind of detail anymore. I'll get into it more later, but don't worry about it for now".