don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    A Gems-type situation post-Origins is still amazing to hear even acknowledged as a possibility, to be honest.

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    You know, that's the thing about these games. They might not be the bestest of the best, but they mark an important era in Sonic history. I myself didn't have a Saturn, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in its library (Sonic R is a wonderful game). Definitely a candidate for a Saturn Mini.

Also, the soundtrack rules. Richard Jacques rules. :eyebrow:

3. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I'm not sure if it's entirely relevant, but the Sonic Minecraft trailer released today had two details that might be relevant to Origins. First of all, they had footage of Sonic 1 with the title screen showing a prompt for "Press Button" and the Sonic 3 special stage music was present with a slightly altered intro. Not sure if it means much of anything for Origins, but I thought people might want to know.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It's not emulation? As if Sonic 3 & Knuckles is not an emulation?

This is great news! I expected them holding with a S3&K remaster for a bit longer, realeasing it in the future and making a huge deal out of it.

If it sits in this collection, and is a remastered game, then Sega is really treating us well this time.

5. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I got a smile and a bit of laugh when I watched this trailer earlier and saw that, it looks like SEGA has recorded footage from the Sonic 1 mobile community decompilation on P.C., due to the "PRESS BUTTON" text. :V

Also, the Sonic 1 title screen music is the remastered variant also from Sonic 1 mobile.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    This is pretty exciting, but I'm not automatically assuming Team Mania is involved. Hoping, but not expecting.

As for other titles, the way he said it sounds like it's for future releases, ie not Origins. But I could be wrong.

7. Glad Iizuka was granted an opportunity to clarify, as I'm positive this is the info he was trying to get across in the last interview/release of details.

8. Wildcat

Wildcat

I already thought some of the more obscure and exclusive games we’ve mentioned would be re-released eventually but seeing him actually touch on it at least is very nice.

I agree it does not sound like they’d be included as part of Origins but that’s ok.

9. simtek34

simtek34

MN
    The Apple TV version of the remasters uses the same "Press Button" text that is used on the decomps. SEGA must've recorded stock footage from that version as that version has the standard placement of the lives icon.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I wish there was a version of Sonic 2 that had Taxman's Hidden Palace Zone but kept the Special Stages flat without those slopes that throw you off if you're used to the original. The slopes make it so you can't see and react to the rings as easily. That's another option that should be a toggle.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    But the original game's special stages had them?

12. _Sidle

_Sidle

The common consensus is that the 3D effect aids vision by both syncing the rings/bombs and arrows on the ground to establish proper perspective, and allowing you to see even further ahead than usual.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  13. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Ah, I wasn't aware "PRESS BUTTON" also existed in that version, thanks for informing! My previous statement can be disregarded then. :)

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    To be honest with you, it's less about whether Team Mania is involved in whether their engine is involved that matters to me.

You could port the existing 1-2, and CD collection and MAYBE add the Drop Dash to them as an extra and I'd be very happy. Just making S3&K widescreen alone would be enough to bring it up to par with the others as well.

But we'll see. Sonic's birthday is only hours away in the US (and it's already hit in Japan/EU), so hoping for an announcement soon.

15. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I'm talking more about the times when you go uphill and can't see as far ahead of you.

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Had a dream about this collection last night - the first trailer dropped and I was really excited to see it, as based on Iizuka's latest comments re: the games not being emulated I felt like it was basically guaranteed to be a collection of proper Stealth/Taxman remakes of all the featured games. Started up the trailer, and it began similar to Sonic Mania's initial trailer with "SEGA proudly presents..." ... followed by "From the developers of Sonic the Hedgehog GENESIS". Aaaaaaaagh!

...Here's hoping SEGA has more sense than in my dreams, haha. XD

17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Come on man you really had me going.. would have been a beautiful reveal until you bring up “that abomination” XD

On a serious note, I really hope when the first trailer hits that it will answer our main question of who’s developing.. that’s really all I need to know at the moment

18. Harper

Harper

I hope that Origins fixes Sonic 2 using Sonic 1's versions of sound effects. For example: The jump sound in Sonic 2 is slightly lower pitched compared to the one in Sonic 1. There's various sound differences like this between the two games. When Taxman and Stealth made the Retro engine version of Sonic 2, they reused the sound effects from Sonic 1. It's such a minor detail but its one of those things you can't unhear once you learn about it lol.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That's nothing, one of the two ring sounds is shorter than the other in both Sonic 1 and 2, they didn't fix it until 3, in the original games. I don't know what they did in the remakes.

20. I wish they could also use the original spindash SFX for Sonic CD when you use S2 Spindash style.