don't click here

Minecraft x Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JcFerggy, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I understand why people might disagree with my sentiment and it's totally fine. I agree that Generations was very heartfelt, but ever since then it's always come across as a bit phoned in to me. Especially in Lost Word and Forces, which are the games which came out recently. It felts a bit half hearted in TSR if I'm being honest too, aside from Sandopolis.

Mania was obviously great but to be fair I did say Sonic Team! Their involvement in Mania was substantial but they weren't the main developers.

2. I hate (love) the fact this looks way more fun than playing Sonic Forces...

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Windows 10 and Android only. I run 7 right now and am moving to Linux, so literally unusable for me. Also all the mods are on Java anyway so it's still the better version just on those grounds. I do wonder if some enterprising modder might bring a lot of this lot over to Java Edition.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Never played Minecraft once in my life, but this looks fun. I wonder what other crossovers deals Sega made, You never know.

Calling it now, Sonic in Raid Shadow Legends!1!111

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I think it's fair to say it's gonna happen sooner than later. I hope so anyway because while I can play Bedrock edition myself, I have no desire to do so since it's literally inferior in every way to Java edition.
    Still a neat trailer tho. I wish they stopped using Green Hill and Chemical Plant in every goddamn Sonic related thing in existence but I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point so whatever.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In this case, the zones make sense. Like for collabs and spin offs? Of course reuse old stuff. But Chemical Plant and Green Hill are sins in Forces.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I agree it makes sense, but I'm still tired of it. Sonic 2 has so many amazing zones, and I'm pretty sure everybody hated Chemical Plant before Generations too? So why is it the de facto Sonic 2 zone nowadays?
    Man I wish they'd give Aquatic Ruin some love. It'd look pretty good in Minecraft.

8. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    So, Ray the Flying Squirrel (and Mighty) is a skin in this pack, and he looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    Blue cuffs? I wonder…
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And blue eyes too. What's Mighty look like btw?

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I have always loved Chemical Plant.

(But I like Oil Ocean, so...)

11. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    I speak only for myself here, but the reason why I’m surprised is because most of Sonic’s recent game collaborations use the classic designs (Ex: Monkey Ball). The only game collab that I can think of to compare to this is Lego Dimensions, and even then there was an Adventure level and Chaos boss in there. On the other hand, this collaboration had every reason to use the classic designs (look at the zone selection and music) but they did not. That’s my thoughts.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

Alright, time to boot up Minecraft for the first time in a decade. I only ever played the java edition so I think I'll be forced to buy it again though

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So Mighty and Ray aren’t allowed to exist in the modern setting through the comics, but they get Minecraft skins with design language comparable to the modern character designs? Come on, SEGA!

I won’t gripe too much though, given that not only is it great to see their continued appearances, this will mark the first time “Modern” Mighty and Ray are playable in any official kind of Sonic media. Just really hope the Mighty skin uses the fingerless gloves and chunky boots from Archie, that design is honestly peak.

I will, however, gripe against Chemical Plant, and to a slightly lesser extent Sky Sanctuary. Green Hill, for as much flak as we give it, makes sense. It’s the very first zone in the series, the start of it all. I can definitely understand if there’s a sense of obligation to make that *the* Sonic 1 representative, but there are so many more zones to play with in 2 and 3&K.

14. Frostav

Frostav

The behind-the-back segments of that look a bit odd--they almost look like 2D sections but with the camera moved, since they never deviate from a single straight line. The fact that there ARE 2D sections from the "proper" camera angle makes me wonder if that's just a fancy angle for marketing and they're actually played entirely in 2D?

EDIT: okay, apparently the DLC really is 3D, the levels are just mostly straight lines with a few turns.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I honestly think Monkey Ball's choice to use Classic Sonic and Tails is purely aesthetic. Design and proportion wise those two fit with the Monkeys and the general artist style of the games. Modern Sonic would not only stick out like a sore thumb but either his ball would be bigger or Modern Sonic would be tinier so it'd look stupid too. If it's a non Sonic collab, 9/10 times you're getting Modern Sonic. Monkey Ball is the exception, not the rule. But ok other examples just to back this up:
    • Two point hospital
    • 2020 Tokyo Olympics
    • All the recent mobile collabs
    • Lego Dimensions
    • Smash Bros
    • Ninjala
    • Phantasy Star Online 2
    I'm sure there's more but I think I made my point. Modern Sonic is just Sonic, classic only comes out for special occasions or nostalgia pandering.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I played it for a little while and it was pretty amusing. It kind of reminded me of SRB2 with the way it plays in third person. It was extremely glitchy and it's clear that the Minecraft engine just wasn't built for a game like Sonic, however; the controls are jank as hell and the level design (which I think was just ripped from the Genesis games) is mostly just a straight line. It's a neat little diversion though, and the fan service makes it a nice little love letter to Sonic. Also it has music from the best 3D Sonic game, Sonic Colors, which means that it is good.

17. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    The pack was dropped after the announcement, so we can get to learn everything about it right now.
    [​IMG]
    His eyes are teal, whereas in Mania’s art they’re turquoise. Ray’s eyes were also turquoise in Mania.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I've been playing it. It's pretty fun for 8 bucks! LOTS of deep cuts and references in the workshop. I especially loved
    Tails Doll, and the huge stack of Sun & Moon medals on the shelf.

The gameplay's pretty clunky, but eh, it's Minecraft trying to play like a Sonic game, what do you expect?

I do wish there were at least some Classic design skins, though. It's starting to feel like that side of the brand is getting a bit shortchanged, which you'd think wouldn't have happened after Mania, but I guess that's nothing new. At least we've got the one-shot comic to look forward to tomorrow!

EDIT: And yeah, speaking of, I'm with Overlord... Classic's appeared in three main games in the past 23 years, and only one of those was *really* what Classic fans wanted, and focused exclusively on him. He got half of Generations (albeit fewer bosses), and, like, six out of 30 stages in Forces. The main branch is just called "Sonic," with "Classic Sonic" being something else.

It's *bizarre* how more modern-centric fans react to him like he's constantly showing up in everything. I love 'em both, but Mania aside, Classic has never NOT gotten the short end of the stick, so it's not a surprise that he's not featured here, either.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  19. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    You could argue the same thing with the some of the examples you gave though.
    • Smash Bros: Been using Modern since Brawl before the Modern/Classic divide was emphasized by Sega.
    • Lego Dimensions: Already stated.
    • 2020 Tokyo Olympics: Modern is already used in the Mario version, so why change it
    • The rest of those, Sonic is a… costume? Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    Like you said about Classic in Monkey Ball, I’d say Modern Sonic fits with the general art style of the games you mentioned imo.
    Just by the levels alone, this Minecraft collab is definitely nostalgia pandering. All more the reason I’m surprised they used Modern.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think even Sega acknowledges the original zones had a more iconic charm to them than most of what they've put out since Adventure.