don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Which can't be, since he was aware of the Earth-based Gerald.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's Earth-19650917

That's my headcanon and I'm sticking to it.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I see what you did there :V

4. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    From what I've heard, Ian Flynn and crew have had a history of stealthily sneaking in things that they normally wouldn't be allowed to do into the comics. He's even gone on record to say that the "mandates" (as colloquially mentioned) he receives for the comic aren't set in stone and change throughout time, being more or less flexible depending on who's enforcing them. I assume it's how you get stuff like Witchcart being Naugus' sibling in the Archie comics despite being a Sega character, the various cameos and references to Archie stuff in the IDW comics, or Shadow's characterization in the sixth issue.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Anyway, we’re being treated to two issues this week, kicking off the “Zeti Hunt” arc, penned by Ian Flynn. Evan’s run on the book has been a smooth transition so far but I’m absolutely looking forward to seeing Flynn’s return to the book, especially given what he has done for Zavok.

6. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

Yes

Sega might be a bit incompetent and inconsistent. Wild I know.

7. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I can't bring myself to care about the Deadly Six. They look like they escaped from some beta of Super Mario 3D World. Even under Flynn, I can only tolerate Zavok a little.
    What even is their goal? Eggman is a megalomaniac, he wants to rule the world, and remake it in his own image. Deadly Six? If I remember correctly, the either want to destroy everything or rule, with is already Eggmans plan.

I don't know If Sega mandates Deadly Six to be used in comics or something, but I would love to see other characters in the spotlight. I know we don't have such a big cast like in the good old Archie days, but damn... Not the Deadly Six...

8. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Honestly, I think the intent with them was a "don't poke the sleeping dragon" kind of thing, or at the very least that's the direction Ian seems to be pushing. We know they were created to be a nature counterpart to Eggman that acted sort of as a wild card to change the dynamic a little and that Lost World completely dropped the ball majorly in terms of their individual characterization. That said, would they really be so intent on going after Eggman and Sonic if Eggman had never enslaved them to begin with? Zavok's motives at least seem to be built entirely on revenge. He wants to destroy the world Eggman and Sonic come from out of spite because they manipulated and humiliated the Deadly Six respectively. The others just kinda follow suit like the vindictive, sadistic (and one note) creatures they seem to be.

In short their goal is simple in IDW:
    [​IMG]

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Nothing about the lore of the Lost Hex was ever explained. Why are the Wisps just... in regular item capsules? do they live here? and the deadly six are described as "guardians", but what are they guarding Lost Hex for if they're supposed to be inherently evil? They wanted to do a more serious plot but they left out the stuff that would be good to know the actual stakes and danger of where the characters were.
    I'm far from a person who will say "The deadly six are bad because bad >: (" but I do wish there was more explained about their actual motivations and not "This is how you do EVIL!"

10. The Deadly Six are designed to be simple and to the point antagonists that aren't Eggman; every time there has been a non-Eggman villain, they either: 1. Die or 2. Become allies and/or never show up again. The Deadly Six aren't on the same threat level as Chaos or Dark Gaia so they can live past one game, nor are they sympathetic enough to switch sides like Shadow or Silver. So now the series have an alternative rather than just using Eggman all of the time, or just coming up with one and done antagonists.

I don't like them either, but I understand their purpose and even Ian Flynn does too. He may not like them, but he recognizes that they can serve a purpose. The main thing he wants to do with them is make people hate them not because they're bad characters, but because they're awful and terrible people.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Metal Sonic didn't die, didn't become an allie, shows up sometimes, and he is ridiculously better than the deadly six. And he doesn't even speak.

12. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Yes, but for the most part, Metal Sonic is Eggman's "Dragon". The Deadly Six are supposed to be a different antagonistic force altogether. In the IDW comics, he was working in Eggman's stead despite his absence.

I agree with @Sonic5993 in that I can understand the reason for them and respect the intent even if the execution is incredibly flawed.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I don't know. Fang the Sniper could act as an independent villain and is at least more charming than them. Even Infinite is more interesting than them and also could turn against Eggman if the story needed it.

The Deadly Six are just... there. It really looks like they are "bad because bad". We still don't know exactly what they want and why they want, after all these years.

14. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    On the topic of Fang the Sniper, I really wish Sega would allow him, Bean, Bark, Mighty, Ray, and Honey to be modernized too (in an official manner). That way there could be another antagonistic force (the Hooligans) and more heroes to round out the cast instead of introducing more new characters. It would probably go a long way in closing a certain tiring debate as well.

15. Fang is barred from any and all Modern content soooo.

Like I said, you don't have to like them, I'm just explaining their purpose.

As mentioned, Metal Sonic isn't an independent villain, he is completely subservient to and an extension of Eggman.

16. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    A part of me feels like that's kind of the point. They're being bad because they can and they enjoy it. It's already bad enough to them that Eggman tried to enslave them, but Sonic got in the way of their revenge. Now they're on Sonic's world thanks to Dr. Starline and they can try to get revenge on Eggman for trying to enslave them, Sonic for getting in the way of said revenge and humiliating them, and cause chaos and destruction because they get a kick out of it. I don't think "being bad just because" isn't a bad thing. It pretty much depends on the characters and writing. I guess at least in Ian's case, they're pretty bare bones in the personality department so he can easily expand on them a bit. Or at least, as much as he can without going against what SEGA/Sonic Team wants.

I'm pretty neutral towards them, but won't deny they have some major flaws. At least design wise, I've gotten used to Zavok's. I always figured their designs feeling out of place was intentional since they're basically aliens from another planet. Plus it's a pretty big difference design wise compared to previous antagonists like Perfect Chaos, Black Doom, Iblis/Solaris, and Dark Gaia. Not trying to excuse their designs in general. It's just different compared to what we've gotten in the past. Of course they could look better.

On the topic of the recent comic issue, looks like they're living up to their name, or at least it's implied. Doubt Zavok let the one who destroyed the Eggpawn and those he pinned under the tree (after hitting them with it) stay alive. Of course the comic is no stranger to killing off minor characters, but still, yikes. I kind of imagine/hope after this, they're gonna try to send them back to the Lost Hex, cause obviously they're too dangerous to keep around, even after being locked away. But I kind of doubt it, especially if SEGA has anything to say about it. We'll see.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Like Sonic himself?

If I recall correctly, they had some sort of might makes right philosophy. Zavok is the leader because he's the current strongest, though he differs to Zik on occasion.

And then they tried to kill the planet below by sucking out all life on it. Which makes me curious as to their next goal. Dominate the Flickies?

18. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The Deadly Six are just the Monstars for assholes

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    30th anniversary special is out, and honestly it's a fun little love letter.

All the stories are in the classic setting, with a majority of classic """"world"""" characters (yes, I'm trying to type that as derisively as possible) making an appearance in some manner. Given that this is just a one shot, you're not necessarily coming here for an interesting plot, but the main story has lot of fresh character interactions and the jokes throughout are top notch.

One area in particular that I want to highlight is the characterisation of Knuckles in particular. Honestly I think this may be the best he's ever been written. I'd say it's closest to his writing in Heroes - still a lot of instances referring to his sheltered past and lack of contact with the outside world, but absolutely willing to rib Sonic in a friendly manner. As someone who felt that the Mega Drive comic made him too brash and dumb, I think what we get here is pretty much perfect.

20. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I haven't posted in here much because it's hard to just say "Yeah I enjoyed it!" month after month after month but the quality of the 30th anniversary book is worth specifically talking about. All three stories are absolutely charming for different reasons, but they work surprisingly well as a collective whole. One blends Mania Adventures and Mega Drive whilst channeling a bit of Archie, one feels like the driving plot thread of a lost AoSTH episode, and the last is just plain endearing. And that's not even getting into the gorgeous art!

Also worth noting that the haemetic seal between Classic and Modern is weakened by the second story, for those who don't like SEGA's stance these days. Chao being actively mentioned, and Nite the Owl's cameo seems to be the first appearance of a character originally introduced in a Modern-based story getting an official Classic redesign... ever, I think! It's only ever been the other way around...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021