don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Include Big Arm. It's not like they've not made reference recently: Sonic Generations (3DS) had the Big Arm as a boss.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    While we're on the subject of bosses - if Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a full-on remake in the Retro Engine or similar, would anyone else like to see Sky Sanctuary's version of the Green Hill wrecker ball boss fixed to use code matching the Sonic 1 version? It would technically be less accurate to the original Mega Drive version, but it always bothers me that the movements of the Mecha Sonic version of this boss are just a janky approximation compared to the original from Sonic 1, especially as the Metropolis boss reprise in the same Zone does reuse code from the Sonic 2 original to match it accurately.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I dream of seeing a new Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 1 whose entrance is in Marble Zone. And then it is established that all the islands of the Classic Sonic universe have a Hidden Palace where the Chaos Emeralds were guarded by ancient civilizations.

4. _Sidle

_Sidle

Always wondered why they just didn't have physics on the S3K wrecking ball... That'd be a welcome change, even if inauthentic.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I bet they would copy the code from Sonic 1 in this case. Why do extra work for a worse result?

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It would be interesting to see, I'd love to see it. Perhaps base it on Scambled Egg Zone, with the implication Robotnik found and corrupted it during the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SMS).

I mean, it's not like we've not already got something implying that game is canonical...

[​IMG]

7. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    As of now I am more excited about this game than Rangers and as others have said, I hope this game has the caliber of Mega Collection's presentation. It would be awesome if Sega had a Sonic World v2 that used the Adventure engine and used the original Adventure Classic Sonic model. But knowing Sega that model is most likely lost like the TTS 1991 alpha and various other source codes they have lost.

8. I think they would probably use something like Sonic Mania Special Stage for Sonic World, if that uses Retro Engine.

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    What I'd like for something akin to Sonic World, would be a sneak peek of the 2022 title. Just a small area with some missions and concept art etc. using the same engine as that so people can get a taste of what's to come. Kinda like how Sonic World was a branch of the prototype of Adventure.

10. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    While I think that might be neat, it probably won't happen since Sonic World was also a collection of the work they had done on the Saturn before it was scrapped in favor of the Dreamcast.

A short demo of some sort or teaser like the Advance 2 teaser in Mega Collection might be more feasible though.

11. Stranger

Stranger

So what kind of additional features do you guys feel would be a given from prior releases of the currently known games being included? Alternatively, building off the more recent hopes and suggestions in the thread, what do you personally want to see in the collection? Things like concept art, development interviews/featurettes, package-wide challenges (like trophies or achievements), cosmetic unlockables, etc. How about pack-ins for a hypothetical physical release?

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    It's hard to say much of anything without knowing who's making it. If it's M2, the additions they brought to Sonic 1 and 2 are probable. If it's TaxStealth, we might see something more. I don't think it's too much to ask for all three characters to be playable in all four games. It'd be great to see the instantaneous time travel finally implemented into CD (and if they could make it work more like this mod, that'd be great), and including stuff like concept art and dev interviews is almost always a good idea for unlockables. It takes very little work, very little space, and you know someone won't have known about certain things until they unlocked it in the collection, even if it's all easily-available online.

Of course, if they really wanted to shake things up, they could go even further down the road, and actually let players unlock new information, even if it's about old things. Lore files, little tidbits about characters' personality or backstory, or even stuff similar to those little bits of prose on Sonic Channel they've been doing. I think that'd add something to flesh things out a bit better, even if the lore of Sonic is still generally shite.

Also, do the thing with the comics like in Mega Collection again. I know IDW is still only a few years in, but it'd be a neat novelty, especially since every IDW issue has a whole bunch of variant covers (I love Nathalie Fourdraine's art style so much), and maybe you could pad it out with some descriptions of the comics and their characters.

I'm going all-in on the "text and images on a screen" demographic because it's the easiest and quickest to implement, so even if SEGA are going to be extremely cheap bitches, this would still be a good idea.

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Mostly looking for bugfixes myself. 3K has a few instances of double rings that should be removed, for example, and a decent amount of misaligned graphic tiles (Super Sonic transformation, the pufferfish badnik in Hydrocity, the faceplate on FBZ1's boss, etc). While I don't expect Sonic 3 Complete-level fixes, it would be nice. All 3 characters in all 3 games would be good, too, although I'd make the added characters unlockable (just get the good ending in a game to unlock whatever for that game).

14. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    I'm expecting something more akin to Classic Collection on Nintendo DS, nothing fancy like Mega Collection outside of the games themselves.

15. Pengi

Pengi

I want them to correct Knuckles' Flying Battery Zone boss sprite from Eggman to Egg Robo.

16. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Oh, and reinstate Knuckles' unique moves in Competition Mode.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think they'd break Competition Mode no? Can Tails fly?

18. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Tails can fly in 2P mode, actually.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Switching Eggman with Egg-Robo in Flying Battery should be a given at this point

Can anyone here confirm how the aspect ratio was on the Genesis Mini? Did that include stretched widescreen as well?

Because I heard M2 modified some HUD elements for each game to make them fit on the TV.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

They can do whatever they want to competition mode and I won't care. I'm not going to play those levels unless they're remade as full single player acts. S3's competition mode is just so... Nothing.