don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    OH MY GOD. holy shit that is up my alley so much, and mind you that the original Aquarium Park is what got me to buy the OST despite me never playing the game

I like the original one a lot, but this one can be more easily thrown into a DJ set with the percussion used here!

2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I dunno what you guys are on about, that Sweet Mountain music isn’t any worse than the original tracks. That said, I wasn’t exactly much of a fan of the originals.

Aside from the lighting pictures people have been posting that are constantly deflating my hype, one thing that kind of bothers me is the Tails dialogue inserted into the levels. I don’t mind it in theory but it feels out of place and kind of grating.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya the Tails dialog is an interesting choice. One that hopefully can be turned off, since a lot of it seems to be Tails stating the obvious. But it does at least give Tails a more contributing role, so plotwise it kinda makes sense.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah I feel like one of the things they tried to sell Colours with was how to-the-point the game is. You go straight into the first act on starting the game, you don’t see a cutscene until after the second act, almost all of Sonic’s supporting cast is gone…

Whether those things are bad or good is going to vary from person to person, but the integration of Tails’ dialogue seems very at odds with those choices that were originally made.

As for me, I’m absolutely hoping to turn it off. I don’t really like commentary that’s not story related, and this does seem to be one more thing added to help novices through the game, which is fine as long as it’s optional.

5. They made a firm decision to stop with the annoying dialogue during levels starting with Unleashed but that flew out the window with Forces so we’re back to hearing about “Eggman robots” and having basic gameplay explained.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Oh thank God someone fixed the dash panel sound in the Wii version

:eng99:

7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That's fair. For me, my eyes are naturally drawn to the words and I read quite fast (about as fast as I talk) so instead of watching a cutscene, I end up reading the line and waiting for the next one.

And as I said, Adventure 1 let you choose whether they were there, but every subsequent game until at least Unleashed forced them on you. Why would they take the option away?

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/n...-the-weird-sweet-mountain-stage/1100-6493008/

Interview with Sega producer Calvin Vu from GameSpot. It's got some interesting bits:
    • The game supports 4K resolutions.
    • The addition to the homing attack is called the "sweet spot attack", which rewards you with bonus boost energy for perfectly timing a homing attack.
    • The tokens? Those are "park tokens" that you use to get customization options for Sonic. That's how you get those fancy golden shoes and gloves and the like.
    • Rival Rush sounds like it's not going to be every stage in the game, just a select few. I assume this means the "main" acts (i.e. the ones that were split, not the side missions that became regular acts).
    • It doesn't sound like anything from the DS version is coming over. Sega decided that the Wii version was the one they wanted to update and make widely available (which makes sense, the DS version is great but I dunno if it'd translate well to home consoles).
    Although I'm not a huge fan of some of the lighting changes and such, it does sound like a decent amount of effort is going into this. I'll probably pick it up. Of course, I'm expecting this to happen if I end up liking Ultimate more than the original version :eng101:

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Mother Wisp is still canon but non canon but canon.

10. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I like the name, and the idea of this in general, but I really wish it was a score bonus instead/as well. I still can't believe Heroes was the last time a Sonic game featured the enemy chain system. It would've been so cool if Colors Ultimate had the standard 100, 200, 300, 1000+ chain, and sweet spots could be 2X the current chain value, so 200, 400, 600, 2000+ if you did it all perfectly.

11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    There's a scary lack of acknowledgement of Sonic Simulator. Considering how up front the SEGA producers seem to be about what's in the game... I don't think we're getting Sonic Simulator back. :(

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I doubt it's gone. It was barely showcased the 1st time, it's a meh experience, and I doubt they seek to remove features beyond unnecessary waggle and game overs. It, prob like the egg shuttle, likely still remains, we just haven't seen it.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Aside from some neat little callbacks to previous Sonic games and multiplayer... aside from Super Sonic, you weren't really missing much if you didn't play Sonic Simulator. I don't think it'd be a huge loss if it was cut.

That being said, the Red Star Rings are still in the game, and those are what unlock Sonic Sim levels, and beating all the Sonic Sim levels gets you Super Sonic... so I doubt it's being cut. The Sonic Sim levels are pretty basic when it comes to geometry and graphics, so they're likely extremely easy to port.

14. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...the underlying instrumentation isn't bad, but could the drummer please calm down? I can barely hear some of the other musicians over them stress-testing their drumsticks.

15. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Crash Bandicoot.

Because it creates obstacles for the player in the obstacle course.
    An obstacle course with no obstacles is kinda, well, counterproductive.
    That wasn't what I implied in my post. Or at least, there wasn't any intention of doing so. What I am disagreeing with is the notion that is is a design "crutch". Pardon my forwardness, but I am under the impression i was pretty clear about that in my post.

Crash bandicoot games DO do this though. As do that Mario games that are about clearing obstacle courses.

Examples I got off the top my head.
    I don't understand what it is they are supposedly doing that Sonic games aren't that makes them good and the way they have been used in Sonic bad. Nor do I see how one can deduce there is a fundamental misunderstanding of bottomless pits or their function in level design that suggests a "crutch" in contrast to those.
    Im sorry then, I must have missed it. i distinctly remember you saying the opposite. My bad then.
    What does any of this have to do with "crutches" with the game design? I also so not think this argument holds much water in regards to the understanding of the devs in regard sto how to implement bottomless pits, nor do I see the argument as compelling. Like, what does whether one sees a level as more grounded or not have to do with the obstacle course implementing its obstacles properly or understanding how they are to be used? It seems like an arbitrary metric to single it out. Even then, I'd argue City Escape is plenty stylized in its own right anyway. And things like the pits and loops and such are a part of that stylization.
    Yea, I get that. And my point is that this is not an inherent flaw. They wanted to design obstacle courses with a fast character, so they designed the game in the way that made sense for that.
    Kind of my point. Your position seems to be from the standpoint of "its bad because it means the levels can't be designed X way instead. As if it's an excuse to not design the levels around completely different structure. From my position, it seems like akin to saying the presence of, say, the lapped courses and airboarding in Sonic Riders is a crutch for the designers to not make straight courses with platforming in them. It's just, rather weird. It requires the presumption of the design choice of the devs, the desire to make straight forward obstacle courses, to be a fundamental mistake of some kind. And I see this as a misguided perspective.

I don't see what any of this has to do with the idea that the designers are using bottomless pits as a crutch or not, nor do I see how one can correlate the way they are used with any of the things you mentioned.
    It is more logical to say that those things are more consequences of Sonic's speed than, any misunderstanding of how to use bottomless pits or any such thing, as they are things that characterized the series since its inception, just to varying degrees.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I can imagine them putting the Metal Sonic stuff on the Metal Sonic planet, and the Park Tokens go to a capsule machine like Team Sonic Racing and have a chance at giving you a Chaos Emerald (if they're not given by Metal Sonic. The Red Star Rings would have no true reward outside of completionist value anymore.)

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    There’s absolutely no way they’re cutting out a sizable chunk of the game like the Sonic Simulator, guys. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

18. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Holy shit the conversation about bottomless pits is insufferable. This whole focus on pits as a "crutch" is steering discussion away from the reality that a lot of people don't like pits in Sonic games and presumably have a subjective but understandable reason for it. Framing it this way turns it into a back-and-forth "Pits are objectively bad design for Sonic" "Pits are not objectively bad design for Sonic" argument that can't resolve because it's arguing objectivity in a subjective space.

I don't like pits in Sonic games because I find it more fun and engaging to have a bad jump or lack of reaction be met with a different path instead of a hard reset back to a previous checkpoint. I like it when 2D Sonic games do that and don't like it when they don't. Platforming-focused levels in Colors, Egg Rocket in Advance 1, Star Light in Sonic 1, Flying Battery in Mania, the entire back half of Advance 2; these are all dropoff points for me in enjoyment because of the introduction of bottomless pits to the level design. That's enough for it to be a valid issue, but still one of preference. *I* don't want to play Sonic levels where I'm at high risk of death due to not landing on a given platform.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    This whole derail about bottomless pits makes me want to throw myself down one.

So how about them Sonic Colors?

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The colours in Colours Ultimate are ultimately uncolourful compared to the colourful original. Colour me unsurprised.